The Student Room Group

CRDEHJN

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Biology and Chemistry are both really time consuming, especially if you need good grades to get into healthcare. I haven't done English so I wouldn't know about it but I'm doing psychology AS and A2 in one year and thats not bad at all so I'd go with psychology

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by katia21
I want to work in healthcare so far I'm choosing biology chemistry and english language. What other subject should I choose as my 4th so far I'm thinking of history, psychology or ICT.

Also:

How many hours would u recommend to study on each subject?

If you took any of these subjects could u give me your opinions on them and what the subject is like?

If I take biology, chemistry, english and history would the workload be too much, because all of these subjects are linear which means I will be taking the exams at the end of the 2 years

I have an idea what about physics dead interesting or maths is a lot more fun in a level than gcse. plus maths and physics aren't all that time consuming and there not a lot of workload. :smile:
Reply 3
Maths is really hard and physics is too and it really depends on how prepared you are to work

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by katia21
Lol thanks for the suggestion but I suck soo bad at GCSE maths already

You don't suck at gcse maths trust me i can tell especially if your choosing chemistry which has a lot of math behind it.
I really need to get off this site got a chem and bio test tomorrow but i already know everything i guess im just going to have to do in depth research and some revision cards and some other stuff hmm... yeah that will help me (+90%). And good luck with gcse's and i hope you come to a choice not just because something easy otherwise you regret it later in future (I've seen it before) but what you want and enjoy most.:smile: peace im out
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by katia21
Aww thanks for that advice/help, yeah hopefully I'll do fine in my gcses, I got an A* for my biology already. By any chance are u Asian? And how do you find biology and chemistry and what other subjects do you do

Im not Asian that first time some said that me I feel so happy an grateful now. :biggrin:
I do bio, chem, maths, psychology. yeah I know bit of hypocrite and by 'regret' i meant me I wish I had chosen physics in even though I liked it instead of psychology. :frown: that's why I advice anyone choose subjects you like, I absolutely hate psychology. Biology unit 1 is easy really i mean easy. The test i have to tomorrow is on lungs and i have to know stuff adaptations of lungs (alveoli) and disease in lungs like asthma and how the affect ficks law which is just and equation for the rate diffusion. As for chem is easy but more difficult than bio and maths unit 1 so you could say the step up is not much of a jump on Friday we watched a 'gcse' fractional distillation video. (hopefully pick up further maths next year)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by katia21
Aww thanks for that advice/help, yeah hopefully I'll do fine in my gcses, I got an A* for my biology already. By any chance are u Asian? And how do you find biology and chemistry and what other subjects do you do

But for now just focus on smashing out your GCSE's picking a levels now is just temporary you can make changes till the day of enrolment "seriously not lying". And focus on your 'weakest subjects more' . Believe me unit 1 as level should be put in gcse thats how easy it is. Don't make the same mistake as me so i advice you look through some as level subjects (specification) and see which one peeks your interest most. I wish you the best of luck :smile: .
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Biology and Chemistry are both VERY difficult if you did not take triple award science at GCSE, chemistry is especially difficult as the gap between GCSE and AS is huge! I must admit, I struggled at the beginning of year 12 just bridging the gap and organizing my time.
I work every night, even if I don't have lots of homework (you will always have something to do)
Revise, Revise, Revise, as soon as you cover something, try and go over it and make detailed notes on it so it sticks in your head.

Along with these subjects I took Maths and Psychology. Psychology is good but if you hate long mark questions, you'll hate psychology. I think the highest at AS is 12 marks and at A2 is 24 marks :s
Maths became very useful in Biology as for your EMPA (it's like an ISA that you would've done at GCSE) as you have to use statistic equations such as Standard Deviation, and all the terms that are with statistics eg Qualitative, Quantitative.
However, Maths is a very demanding subject and if I had something else that I wanted to take, I wouldn't have taken it and will be dropping it when I finish my AS.
I hated English so I didn't take it but I know my friends that did take it, enjoy it a lot.

Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by Project Tsukyomi
Im not Asian that first time some said that me I feel so happy an grateful now. :biggrin:
I do bio, chem, maths, psychology. yeah I know bit of hypocrite and by 'regret' i meant me I wish I had chosen physics in even though I liked it instead of psychology. :frown: that's why I advice anyone choose subjects you like, I absolutely hate psychology. Biology unit 1 is easy really i mean easy. The test i have to tomorrow is on lungs and i have to know stuff adaptations of lungs (alveoli) and disease in lungs like asthma and how the affect ficks law which is just and equation for the rate diffusion. As for chem is easy but more difficult than bio and maths unit 1 so you could say the step up is not much of a jump on Friday we watched a 'gcse' fractional distillation video. (hopefully pick up further maths next year)

I agree, I took the exact same subjects. Chemistry and Biology are made up of two units (two separate exams) and the Unit 1 stuff is very much GCSE level (if you took triple)
However the maths in Unit 2 Chemistry, is difficult and unit 2 biology gets more difficult.
Reply 10
Original post by katia21
Thanks! I didn't know there will be lots of maths in biology, what do you do in psychology and yeah I don't really like english lit but I don't mind english lang

Yeah I didn't think there would be either but you do percentage change, ratios, surface area, volume, standard deviation, working out means etc.
I also think it's good if your subjects all link together for instance with me Chemistry links to Biology (there is a biochemistry chapter in Unit 1) and Maths links to Biology. Biology also links to the Biological Approach in Unit 2 Psychology

Psychology is good! We're on the AQA exam board so I'm not sure what other exam boards do but it is made up of two units and you basically learn what psychologists have done in the past and what their theories are. Unit 1 is Cognitive Approach (memory and eye witness testimony) and Developmental Approach (which is basically a behaviourist approach where we look at how attachments are formed, what factors influence these attachments and day care) Also in Unit 1 there is a Research Methods Chapter which looks into how valid certain experiments are and how they're set up. You also look into ethics of experiments and whether the balance of gaining results out of an experiment outweighs the ethics of the person going through the experiment.

I am yet to cover unit 2 in psychology but there are 3 other chapters. One is on the Biological Approach where you look into stress, another is on Psychodynamic Approach (abnormalities in human behaviour) and the other is Social Psychology. I do enjoy psychology but there is a lot to remember.

:smile: Hope this helps
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest