The Student Room Group

What GCSE's do you need to be a lawyer?

I'm wanting to be a lawyer (barrister)when I'm older and i would like to know what GCSE's and grades I would need to get to be accepted into the better universities (oxford,cambridge...) to study law&order.Thanks:biggrin:

Possibly i will be doing:
History
English
Maths
Triple Science
Business Studies
Drama

Would they be fine for my GCSE's?
I would also be doing a Spanish FCSE.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I don't think it is that vital but I'd say doing humanities is better?
erm something like law, psychology, sociology, health and social care, RS, english language?
Original post by Vicky507
I'm wanting to be a lawyer when I'm older and i would like to know what GCSE's and grades I would need to get to be accepted into the better universities (oxford,cambridge...) to study law&order.Thanks:biggrin:

Alot of people say History.
History will help a lot with arguments and other humanities such as psychology and Gov&Pol (if your school does it at GCSE) will help too... English, maths and sciences look good since it's such a competitive career, and languages are an asset, but not essential.
Reply 5
Original post by twisted
I don't think it is that vital but I'd say doing humanities is better?

I am already doing History:smile::wink:
Reply 6
Original post by NavyBlueBear99
History will help a lot with arguments and other humanities such as psychology and Gov&Pol (if your school does it at GCSE) will help too... English, maths and sciences look good since it's such a competitive career, and languages are an asset, but not essential.

In my school we have to do: English, Maths and Science, if you are good enough at science then you get a place to do Triple Science (Chemistry,Physics,Biology) Would a Spanish FCSE be fine?
At your age, I didn't even know what university was. Hell, I didn't even know what the value of GCSEs were. Hats off to you maam.
Do well at GCSEs but the A-levels you choose are more important. :smile:

Though if you want to go to Oxford, they take your GCSEs into consideration so aim for A/A*s in your subjects in order to remain competitive!

Don't stress over it though. Good luck!
english lang and lit are essential
RE/ philosophy
history
Politics
languages help.
I'd say its more important to pick well at A level
Reply 10
I am doing double science maths and English lit and lang history child development and bisuness studies peIs that ok
That is a good selection I’m actually doing the same
That so crazy we pretty much picked the same options except I did RE instead of triple science sorry go r not being helpful
Well I too am looking for a career in law and have chosen a Triple Sciences History Sociology ( about society and crime )French ( as my language )Buisness (backup option)Geography(backup)
Original post by AnimeNerd123
Well I too am looking for a career in law and have chosen a Triple Sciences History Sociology ( about society and crime )French ( as my language )Buisness (backup option)Geography(backup)

Hiya :smile: this thread was made in 2014!

Quick Reply

Latest