The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

I use the school resources all of the time, my school say why reinvent the wheel! If those resources work then what's the problem. I've created my own resources for most of my lessons but if I'm stuck I go and have a look and use their worksheets and power points.

Is anyone teaching a subject they have never even done a GCSE in? I'm a business student and I'm teaching half of my lessons in Computer Science. Total confusion as not confident at all in binary etc that I need to teach next week.
Original post by Lucy_jucie
I use the school resources all of the time, my school say why reinvent the wheel! If those resources work then what's the problem. I've created my own resources for most of my lessons but if I'm stuck I go and have a look and use their worksheets and power points.

Is anyone teaching a subject they have never even done a GCSE in? I'm a business student and I'm teaching half of my lessons in Computer Science. Total confusion as not confident at all in binary etc that I need to teach next week.

I teach some RE even though I'm a History nqt. Always feel way out of my depth and not confident at all!
Original post by Samus2
My department has shared lessons for each member of staff to use to ensure consistency. Using the lessons that are already made doesn't actually help my own development as a teacher (which I agree with) so I'm steering clear of using them entirely.

Ah ok. Yeah I do get comments like that but it's not a rule that I can't use their stuff.

Original post by Lucy_jucie

I'm doing an R.E. PGCE and have no GCSE, A-Level or degree in it :awesome: . I feel waaaay out of my depth in pretty much every single lesson and it's making it a lot more stressful for me as I spend a lot of time reading around the subject I'm going to teach. Thing to remember is that there are a lot of teachers teaching subjects they don't have a clue about. I got told by my mentor that really our job is to direct and structure the students' learning rather than talk info at them for an hour, and not to worry if we don't know something because we are not machines! Gladly the focus seems to have moved onto the students learning from each other through group work and stuff, which works well for me seeing as I don't have much confidence.
I am about to start my 4th week of placement in KS1, and I haven't had to plan anything myself yet, apart from developing some maths and phonics activities for some small groups. Is this normal?

I have been given plans for all the lessons I've taught. My link tutor and teacher tutor have both said that I should be focusing on developing my teaching rather than planning, but on my last feedback it said I should be adapting plans/resources. I am finding it hard to know what to adapt, when it's already a fully formed plan, and obviously the teacher knows what she is doing more than me :confused:
Ok, how does this sound for an opener, i have cut out some key words and their definitions. The pupils (y7) have to put the definitions with the right words, ill go over the answers and we can all move on with our lives. Sound like a single activity covering both entry and starter?
Original post by adastraz
I am about to start my 4th week of placement in KS1, and I haven't had to plan anything myself yet, apart from developing some maths and phonics activities for some small groups. Is this normal?

I have been given plans for all the lessons I've taught. My link tutor and teacher tutor have both said that I should be focusing on developing my teaching rather than planning, but on my last feedback it said I should be adapting plans/resources. I am finding it hard to know what to adapt, when it's already a fully formed plan, and obviously the teacher knows what she is doing more than me :confused:

Yeah I find it really difficult to plan a lesson when there is already a plan in place, because it's hard to ignore what was originally planned, if that makes sense! For example, I took a year 10 class last week and the lesson was already planned and I'd seen it, only for the teacher to tell me that I shouldn't use that lesson and should cover the same stuff in a different way. I found it really hard to cover the exact same things but with different ideas, when there was already a perfectly good lesson made that I'd seen!

I find it a little strange that we are expected to have to plan everything from scratch, because it's not realistic. Most schools will have ample resources to be used, and even if they don't you just steal plans off TES (well I do anyway :ninja: ). I have planned my own lessons from scratch and they've been awful :colondollar: . I guess it's a learning experience though...
Original post by Ratchit99
Ok, how does this sound for an opener, i have cut out some key words and their definitions. The pupils (y7) have to put the definitions with the right words, ill go over the answers and we can all move on with our lives. Sound like a single activity covering both entry and starter?

Sounds good to me. It means that everyone will be doing something and then can feedback.
Original post by Ratchit99

Yep there is no reason why they can't get on with that as soon as they come in with little instruction! Sounds good to me.
Original post by Airfairy

Sounds good to me. It means that everyone will be doing something and then can feedback.

Original post by outlaw-torn
Yep there is no reason why they can't get on with that as soon as they come in with little instruction! Sounds good to me.

Cool, thats what theyre getting. I hope this lesson goes well for once, its like the only class that is going seriously duff now and im sure its psychological now but god its irritating!
Original post by Airfairy
Yeah I find it really difficult to plan a lesson when there is already a plan in place, because it's hard to ignore what was originally planned, if that makes sense! For example, I took a year 10 class last week and the lesson was already planned and I'd seen it, only for the teacher to tell me that I shouldn't use that lesson and should cover the same stuff in a different way. I found it really hard to cover the exact same things but with different ideas, when there was already a perfectly good lesson made that I'd seen!

I find it a little strange that we are expected to have to plan everything from scratch, because it's not realistic. Most schools will have ample resources to be used, and even if they don't you just steal plans off TES (well I do anyway :ninja: ). I have planned my own lessons from scratch and they've been awful :colondollar: . I guess it's a learning experience though...

I do find that in a lot of ways it's harder to adapt a plan than do it from scratch (or at least, it tends to take me longer!). I don't really know why, I think it's because it might not match the way that you're thinking.

How detailed are the plans you're being given adastraz? I would start with adapting by tailoring to pupils, and then adding notes about how to do certain things... e.g. adding in extra little models to use or ways to explain things, or notes to remind yourself about something. Then move on to changing elements, like using a new book, adding in a new question/task/game. And with resources the same, for example you could add a new tool for them to use or editing powerpoints etc slightly, then adding new main resources. If you're finding it really tricky you could also ask if you could plan one lesson completely to get some practice.

I think planning is something most people learn from seeing lots of other peoples ideas and then after a while they start to come up with little bits themselves. If you asked me to tell you something I've done or planned that wasn't at least inspired by something I'd seen elsewhere, I couldn't! Though I'm sure there are a couple of things that I don't remember lol.

xxx

I've just finished my first placement in KS1 and I had a similar issue. What I did was use the teacher's plan but include my own extension activity. I also would create my own resources for my main input such as a game using place value etc. If it's a problem you could talk to your mentor about it and ask her if you can plan the starter or plenary?

I find that it's pretty good to look at a departmental lesson plan, and then a couple of ideas on TES as well. In general, I'll find myself really liking a couple of things, coming up with my own adaptations or combining the best bits of two activities. That way you're not relying on purely your creativity, and you have several lessons to choose from. Alternatively, perhaps just adapt the starter and plenary - there are hundreds of generic ways to try out.
I'm trying to teach small basic at the moment. It's a restricted programming language and I'm really struggling to make it interesting.

The lessons are so boring I'm skipping over half of the powerpoint to let them get on with their practical content.

The lessons I'm being given to teach are dry, the language is dry and getting them on a Friday afternoon when they're either hyper or exhausted isn't doing anything to make it easier.

I don't know where to aim starters for year 9s without them being boring and I'm just generally completely confused by year 9s and their little bored faces.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I'm trying to teach small basic at the moment. It's a restricted programming language and I'm really struggling to make it interesting.

The lessons are so boring I'm skipping over half of the powerpoint to let them get on with their practical content.

The lessons I'm being given to teach are dry, the language is dry and getting them on a Friday afternoon when they're either hyper or exhausted isn't doing anything to make it easier.

I don't know where to aim starters for year 9s without them being boring and I'm just generally completely confused by year 9s and their little bored faces.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Year 9s are a dodgy mix, i have one group who are lovely and switched on and another who seem years younger and are right pains!
My sympathies on basic, ive been doing python with y10s and just created worksheets for them to plod through with opportunities to try out each others code and break their own during loops etc and theyve got really in to it
Does anyone else feel like it's going to be impossible to meet people (romantically and just friends) with the little spare time that we have?

My social life has almost completely crashed and I have to keep turning down invites because I just don't have time.
Original post by Samus2
Does anyone else feel like it's going to be impossible to meet people (romantically and just friends) with the little spare time that we have?

My social life has almost completely crashed and I have to keep turning down invites because I just don't have time.

Don't forget lots of people make friends through work. I have several good friends from the PGCE. I've also met several couples who met as teachers, and lots of people at the school I worked at last year met up for social activities out of school.

xxx
I had to deliver a full lesson without planning. The teacher took over as a result. It's fair to say that the whole situation slashed my confidence. Initially, I thought I had to deliver a starter but the teacher thought I had a lesson planned.
Original post by Red Lightning
I had to deliver a full lesson without planning. The teacher took over as a result. It's fair to say that the whole situation slashed my confidence. Initially, I thought I had to deliver a starter but the teacher thought I had a lesson planned.

It's a confusion- don't feel bad as it should have been clearer. This stuff happens sometimes. At least you got through it so know you can do it again when you need to!

How did the lesson go?

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know you're not supposed to compare yourself to others, but it is hard on my course!

I was just wondering, for a first observation (doesn't officially count) - are we expected to be good/ outstanding at this stage?
There are 5 of us on my placement and we all got requires improvement (I did get elements of good), but people on the same course on different placements are saying they got good and a couple even outstanding. Anyway now it is making me feel I am doing something wrong!
Did my first lesson today. I was team teaching with a guy on my course it went well despite me only having less than two hours sleep the night before. Got my first solo one next week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxstace123xx
I know you're not supposed to compare yourself to others, but it is hard on my course!

I was just wondering, for a first observation (doesn't officially count) - are we expected to be good/ outstanding at this stage?
There are 5 of us on my placement and we all got requires improvement (I did get elements of good), but people on the same course on different placements are saying they got good and a couple even outstanding. Anyway now it is making me feel I am doing something wrong!

I'd find it very hard to believe that people are getting outstanding at this point. Requires improvement is probably the most accurate for this stage for a trainee - of course you require improvement! That's the whole point! I'd be very doubtful listening to those who say they got outstanding. Sounds like you are doing perfectly fine :smile: xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending