The Student Room Group

Labour have always been anti UK/English and here's the simple proof

Many of us with more than two brain cells knew before the Emily Thornberry incident that Labour have always been a party who hated the UK/Britain and particularly England.

A very quick answer can be found by looking at the parties which would prop-up a Labour minority Government:

-SNP (Anti-British, want Scotland to leave the UK)
-SDLP (Anti-British, want a unified Ireland)

What does this say about the Labour party, given they can rely on parties who are anti-British to help-through legislation?
Labour lost its way some time ago, but that's mainly due to the fact that they realised that their traditional policies were damaging to the economy and the majority of the electorate didn't support them.

I don't thing labours anti English per se, but they realised some time ago that immigrants tended to vote labour because they were the party that gives away the most freebies.

We don't have as high a level of immigration in Scotland so the SNP haven't been able to cash in on the immigration sector too much although we can see that they're starting to embrace it. (As long as it's not English immigrants and that's when the nutters from settler watch start coming out to play)

What is often forgotten is that staunch labour supporters like Tony Benn were dead against entry into the EU for this very reason, as immigration does cause wage deflation and other associated social problems.

So much so, Benn shared a platform against entry into the EU with Enoch Powell.

Enoch Powell did his rivers of blood speech that resonated with many traditional labour supporters. However labour went into its usual name calling mode, realised that immigration would antagonise those on the right and embraced it.

It wasn't too long ago that labour admitted that it allowed a lax immigration policy to just upset those on the right.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/6418456/Labour-wanted-mass-immigration-to-make-UK-more-multicultural-says-former-adviser.html
Labour would be propped up by the SNP? I don't think you realise joe much these two parties hate each other.

As gor Nicola sturgeon although what she did was stupid it is profoundly UNbrititish to plaster ones house in England flags: that sort of thing we leave to the Americans.

In any case contrary to mail readers beliefs it would argue that it is next to impossible to dictate what British values are.
Reply 3
Original post by Davij038
As gor Nicola sturgeon although what she did was stupid it is profoundly UNbrititish to plaster ones house in England flags: that sort of thing we leave to the Americans.

Who says its unBritish?

In any case contrary to mail readers beliefs it would argue that it is next to impossible to dictate what British values are.

Yes but I think its safe to say relying on two political parties who are actively trying to take-away land from the UK is "un-British"......
Original post by billydisco
Many of us with more than two brain cells knew before the Emily Thornberry incident that Labour have always been a party who hated the UK/Britain and particularly England.

A very quick answer can be found by looking at the parties which would prop-up a Labour minority Government:

-SNP (Anti-British, want Scotland to leave the UK)
-SDLP (Anti-British, want a unified Ireland)

What does this say about the Labour party, given they can rely on parties who are anti-British to help-through legislation?

That, despite their differences, two parties with opposing views can still find themselves in agreement.
Reply 5
Original post by SHallowvale
That, despite their differences, two parties with opposing views can still find themselves in agreement.

I'm not questioning their ability to resolve things, I am questioning their motives....

Look at Labour, refusing to support English votes for English laws because then they cannot control England- and yet it is a completely fair proposal.
Original post by billydisco
Who says its unBritish?

Academics and the general public

Yes but I think its safe to say relying on two political parties who are actively trying to take-away land from the UK is "un-British"......

Well if you're against the EU the Tory party has in the last year made pretty clear now it is now not the pro EU party of Majors era.

As per taking away land from British people I hope you realise the monarchy is mainly German, Dutch and Greek and that the most original "British " people in northern wales and Scotland everyone else is descended from European immigration, that during the British empire British people settled across half the planet.

Also there is scantly any alternative to liberal capitalism ( which allows wealthy foreigners to buy and own British land and business and generally influence and control the government) if that sounds bad the alternative is far worse, namely living in a centralised closed off North Korean state.
(edited 9 years ago)
Can't blame Thornberry tbf. She's an idiot for doing it as she is a MP, but I'd view England flags, a working class area and a white van all together negatively, can only be honest.
Reply 8
Academics and the general public

Could you show me? Didn't even know there was a general consensus on this!

Well if you're against the EU the Tory party has in the last year made pretty clear now it is now not the pro EU party of Majors era.

Ok? :confused:

As per taking away land from British people I hope you realise the monarchy is mainly German, Dutch and Greek and that the most original "British " people in northern wales and Scotland everyone else is descended from European immigration, that during the British empire British people settled across half the planet.

Oh lets go down the "scraping the barrel" path- we're all East Africans anyway! See, I can play along too.

Also there is scantly any alternative to liberal capitalism ( which allows wealthy foreigners to buy and own British land and business and generally influence and control the government) if that sounds bad the alternative is far worse, namely living in a centralised closed off North Korean state.

Could you reword this, not sure what you are asking me? I think we need to limit foreign purchases in the UK, impose some type of tax but without compromising the amount of capital flowing in. We can't just keep selling-off the family silver. We cant sell all London properties to the Arabs so there's nowhere for British people to live and then concrete-over our countryside, just for some Arabs.
I don't mind what the tax is, as long as it makes the underclasses suffer. I believe that the responsibility to help yourself lies solely with the individual. Therefore those refusing to work for their living should be prepared to die from starvation, or expect to be harshly punished if they resort to crime to feed themselves. Ban immigration, were too full already. If they're here illegally sling them on the next plane home, they're not our problem and we should not have to grant asylum to anyone who comes to Britain illegally. Furthermore, given the declining state of our own public services, we should not be funding the EU at all, nor should we be giving foreign aid to any country, we've got too many issues here in Britain to sort out first.
Vote conservative! Labour are idiots who will ruin Britain again if they get in next year. Don't trust Miliband at all, if he can literally stab his own brother in the back what else can he do, who else will he betray and how many lies will he tell? Conservatives are the only way forward.

Quick Reply