The Student Room Group

Rejected without interview

nevermind
(edited 6 years ago)
you got C in Physics thats why.
Reply 2
Original post by velvetcap
I got rejected from trinity college without interview- looks like I'l be going to warwick (got an offer).

I'm about 70% sure it was my a level grades that let me down, but I did well in other maths-related activities so I'm still a bit unsure.

A levels (I applied after finishing a level):
A* maths, A f.maths, C physics

STEP etc:
S in STEP II (didn't take any other step exams)
Distinction in maths AEA
Bronze medal in BMO1 (olympiad)

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't specify a question. Basically, I just want to know how likely it is that they merely rejected me without interview due to my grades. It seems a bit odd that they wouldn't even give me a chance, given that they could have made me retake a few modules (by giving me a hard offer) if I did well at interview...

The standard offer for Maths is now A*A*A + 1,1 in STEP (and even prior to this year's increase to 2 A*s most applicants would have this anyway!). If you apply post A level with results that are already below the entrance requirements, then it's hard to see why Cambridge would make you an offer!

If you genuinely believed that you could have done much better, then it might have been better to resit anyway and aim for A*A*A + 11 and then apply, but there's still no guarantee of an offer - Trinity maths is highly competitive!

Warwick is a great university for maths and you should enjoy your time there :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by velvetcap
Thanks davros for the reply. Yeah, they probably lost hope in me after seeing that C in physics, but they could've at least gave me an interview. I don't care too much, just the fact that they're willing to reject strong candidates because of a levels (which are trivial really compared to my other achievements) makes me wonder what they're after.

What "they're after" is students who can cope with the workload of (at least) 3 full A levels, plus the ability to cope with more demanding and extended Maths problems (as measured by things like STEP and AEA).

I understand what you're getting at, but you really shouldn't be so dismissive of A levels because if they really are "trivial" then there really isn't an excuse for falling down on them! A typical Trinity applicant is probably going to have A*A*A* as well as your other achievements, so you're going to have to have very good mitigating circumstances for the A and the C (if anything, an A in F.Maths is more concerning than a C in Physics for a Cambridge Maths applicant :smile: ).

Anyway, glad you're going through with Warwick - good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
I dont think its unreasonable that they would have rejected you based on your grades. The fact that you already have your grades shows them what they would be getting, you may think that your definite grades are worth more than someone elses predicted grades, but the fact is they will make their offers and anyone who doesnt make the grade simply wont get in. They dont need to scratch about hoping people will retake a few modules, they can select their students from the very best who dont have to. Practically every other applicant will have A* in maths and FM or have them predicted, plus another A grade. They will almost all have done more than one STEP and AEA and the BMO is pretty standard amongst applicants too.

Dont feel bad about it, think about how many apply, and how few get interviews, many who get rejected at this stage will be far better than you so dont feel its unfair.

You will have a fab time at Warwick, dont think of it as second best to Oxbridge, its a great place and based on the reputation of the Maths dept there my friend has secured an awesome job for when he graduates already, and he is a fresher! (He turned down Oxford for Warwick)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending