The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bude8
And the way he can store a passage of music in his short term memory is insane! I can imagine you meeting a person with perfect pitch for the first time, you'll be annoying them like I was, asking them for the notes from songs etc :lol:

Scientifically though, it's incredibly fascinating.

I do this tbf. I don't have perfect pitch although I know what an A and a C is so can work the others out from there. If you play me a bit of music though I can play it straight back to you, and you'll find me singing it weeks later randomly even if I've never heard it before. I think if you have perfect pitch it would be easy to tell the key though- I mean you'd just think 'it's vaguely happy so it's major, there are several F#s, starts on a D and finishes on a G therefore it's G major'.

I agree that proper perfect pitch is amazing though! Although I'd imagine it could get quite annoying sometimes...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12
I do this tbf. I don't have perfect pitch although I know what an A and a C is so can work the others out from there. If you play me a bit of music though I can play it straight back to you, and you'll find me singing it weeks later randomly even if I've never heard it before. I think if you have perfect pitch it would be easy to tell the key though- I mean you'd just think 'it's vaguely happy so it's major, there are several F#s, starts on a D and finishes on a G therefore it's G major'.

I agree that proper perfect pitch is amazing though! Although I'd imagine it could get quite annoying sometimes...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I'll try and train myself to get perfect pitch then... I'd love to have at least passive perfect pitch :lol:

The concept of hearing colours though, is pretty damn interesting.
Original post by Bude8
I think I'll try and train myself to get perfect pitch then... I'd love to have at least passive perfect pitch :lol:

Yeah, it'd be really good! I'd be interested to know to what extent you could train yourself, though. I only know the ones I know because I've spent years tuning to an A and my highest/lowest notes are C. I also recognise a D if I think about it, but I wouldn't just walk past things and think 'D, F#, A...' or anything like that. The hearing colours thing though people have been trained to do, or seeing letters in different colours, so I'd guess it's te same concept?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, it'd be really good! I'd be interested to know to what extent you could train yourself, though. I only know the ones I know because I've spent years tuning to an A and my highest/lowest notes are C. I also recognise a D if I think about it, but I wouldn't just walk past things and think 'D, F#, A...' or anything like that. The hearing colours thing though people have been trained to do, or seeing letters in different colours, so I'd guess it's te same concept?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll start training tonight then :biggrin:

I'm not completely convinced it's something people have been trained to do (in the sense that someone told them), perhaps it's associations we personally make with a note? One of my favourite songs starts with an E... I wonder what colour association I'd make with that :lol:
Original post by Bude8

Hearing colours? What on Earth is that?
Original post by Bude8
I'll start training tonight then :biggrin:

I'm not completely convinced it's something people have been trained to do (in the sense that someone told them), perhaps it's associations we personally make with a note? One of my favourite songs starts with an E... I wonder what colour association I'd make with that :lol:

How would you go about it though? Just listen to a note and think 'E'? I have the annoying problem of playing instruments in different keys, fortunately flute's my first one and that's in C so I relate to that most.

I think there've been trials of it at some point? Certainly the letter colour thing cus I read an article on it the other day- will try and find it somewhere :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Red Fox
Hearing colours? What on Earth is that?

I can't explain it as I've never experienced it, but it's related to (or is called) synesthesia. Not an expert but it's something to do with the associations we give to a certain note, I think. Some people can see colours in numbers as well...

How would you go about it though? Just listen to a note and think 'E'? I have the annoying problem of playing instruments in different keys, fortunately flute's my first one and that's in C so I relate to that most.

I think there've been trials of it at some point? Certainly the letter colour thing cus I read an article on it the other day- will try and find it somewhere :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I honestly have no idea :lol: I don't think I'm a colour person either. My friend with PP isn't, nor my friends with half PP. But I heard a story about how someone at a music interview was asked "Why didn't you write this in X key?" and his response was "because it would sound too green".

Original post by drowninginsound
That's so cool... I have heard you can train yourself but I wouldn't know where to start. :tongue: Haha, if I could do that I'd be the most annoying person ever, I'd just walk around being like "Eb... A... oh, that car was definitely an F#." :biggrin:

So my friend with PP suggests that you listen to as much music as you can and look up the scores for them...

My friends with half PP suggest that you just memorise a note, and start developing relative pitch from there...

Honestly, to me, the latter sounds like a better way to get towards it? I think I'll actually start by learning all of the note names for Glasgow Kiss :lol: but maybe there's a reason why one of them has full PP and the others don't? :dontknow: :rofl:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Red Fox
Well they can't make him too OP seeing as it's pretty much the law of the 2nd season that Seirin have to win every game via a last second basket.

Original post by Bude8
Yeah but you know, Meteor Jam...

True, True :beard: Do you guys have some good anime you'd recommend? :biggrin:
Original post by JustaDreamer

As always, depends on what sort of thing you're looking for. Parasyte -the maxim- is an amazing one that's airing at the moment!
Original post by Bude8

So my friend with PP suggests that you listen to as much music as you can and look up the scores for them...

My friends with half PP suggest that you just memorise a note, and start developing relative pitch from there...

Honestly, to me, the latter sounds like a better way to get towards it? I think I'll actually start by learning all of the note names for Glasgow Kiss :lol: but maybe there's a reason why one of them has full PP and the others don't? :dontknow: :rofl:

I think probably the relative pitch thing would be the best way to do it. I've realised I know a couple of keys already, namely A and E, just from learning songs in them etc. Well, I guess it might depend on whether your friend with full PP just picked it up more or less naturally or not. :dontknow: It's still fascinating though, and I wish I knew someone even with half PP so I could quiz them about it. :tongue:
Original post by drowninginsound
I think probably the relative pitch thing would be the best way to do it. I've realised I know a couple of keys already, namely A and E, just from learning songs in them etc. Well, I guess it might depend on whether your friend with full PP just picked it up more or less naturally or not. :dontknow: It's still fascinating though, and I wish I knew someone even with half PP so I could quiz them about it. :tongue:

Oh man, when you meet someone with it you'll be quizzing them endlessly :lol:

He did say with his method it will take a long time but you really need to listen. I've downloaded some apps that will play piano notes to me and I have to press (guess? :rofl:) the right key :tongue:

I just don't understand how he can pick notes out when they're played so quickly :dontknow:
(edited 9 years ago)
My interview date for Cambridge is the 17th December :redface:

That's almost Christmas :cry:
Original post by JustaDreamer

Just watched Death Note recently, it's starts off great but got a bit boring imo. Clannad made my cry so hard:lol:, you kinda have to battle through it at points in the first season but I'd recommend it. Bude knows way more than me though:tongue:.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Bude8
My interview date for Cambridge is the 17th December :redface:

That's almost Christmas :cry:

What?! I thought it was between 12th and 15th hmm

Oh just got my email

12th
Lol I'm gonna be in Cambridge for a good few hours the day before my interview but have no idea what to do. Don't really fancy sitting in my room all night though.
Got an offer from the University of Salford.
Sainsbury's have their festive sausage rolls back.
I'm 18 in three weeks time.

Everything's coming up Milhouse!
Original post by Red Fox
Lol I'm gonna be in Cambridge for a good few hours the day before my interview but have no idea what to do. Don't really fancy sitting in my room all night though.

It'll be pretty damn dark, I'm not sure what you could actually do, but there are quite a few restaurants right outside Emma.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
What?! I thought it was between 12th and 15th hmm

Oh just got my email

12th

Well yknow, 250 applicants...
Original post by pizzanomics
Got an offer from the University of Salford.
Sainsbury's have their festive sausage rolls back.
I'm 18 in three weeks time.

Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Congrats:smile:
Original post by Bude8
It'll be pretty damn dark, I'm not sure what you could actually do, but there are quite a few restaurants right outside Emma.

Hope I find some people to hang with instead of being that creepy loner in the corner of the restaurant:lol:

Latest