The Student Room Group

Swansea GEM (A101) Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr Men
Anybody else still not recieved an email? In panic mode now as I got 58 58 63 in GAMSAT with 61 overall and I still haven't recieved anything...

Posted from TSR Mobile

You haven't recieved an email about the open day?

Nobody has recieved one about interviews but that will be done in a few days.
Original post by Mr Men
Anybody else still not recieved an email? In panic mode now as I got 58 58 63 in GAMSAT with 61 overall and I still haven't recieved anything...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Keep calm and call this person :smile:

Rachel Smith: 01792 602399.

x
Reply 182
Original post by MedicineBall
That's if I don't screw up Swansea the way I did SGUL, of course! I would like to think I have as good a shot as anybody as securing a place this year...

They say talking to yourself is the first sign of madness...

Original post by Mr Men

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't received an email regarding the interview, but I have one for the post-application visit day. Not too worried about the interview email. If it isn't here on Weds I'll give them a ring.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 183
I haven't received anything too!!! and I got 60 in the gamsat!!
Reply 184
Original post by azrim
I haven't received anything too!!! and I got 60 in the gamsat!!

Yeah I have literally recieved nothing. I keep trying to ring but no one is picking up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 185
this is really nerve-wrecking. kind of relying on swansea only. I'm going to give it till wednesday. I dont wanna sound really annoying and put a bad impression lol. If there are a few people who haven't received anything, I guess they#re sending out emails in bunches. Unless anyone else has a logical reason, I will stay calm and continue my interview prep :smile:
Reply 186
SO i just contacted swansea university's medical school department. They have no idea what's going on and told me to ring in the morning. According to their Facebook page they have sent out all invitations to the applicants who are succesful for an interview. But surely with my GAMSAT mark I should get one? I did GAMSAT UK last year and got an average score of 60 with all my sections above 50.. Panicking!
Original post by azrim
SO i just contacted swansea university's medical school department. They have no idea what's going on and told me to ring in the morning. According to their Facebook page they have sent out all invitations to the applicants who are succesful for an interview. But surely with my GAMSAT mark I should get one? I did GAMSAT UK last year and got an average score of 60 with all my sections above 50.. Panicking!

Did you get an invite last year?
Maybe you didn't change your UCAS number to your old one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 188
Original post by azrim

The comment on the Facebook suggests the interview invite system is having a mare. The visit day invites are organised by someone from the marketing team I think it was, so the medical school most likely does not have that information to hand. Indeed it seemed the marketing team was under the impression we had received interview invites when we had not, clarifying their mistake in a follow up email.
Reply 189
this is the first time I'm applying to Swansea University. I have been trying to get into medicine for ages.. just not got round to it and this is really messing up with emotions. All I know is, if I have a distinction at MSc level, and I got 60 in GAMSAT UK 2013, (52, 67, 61) then according to Swansea's requirement for this year, I should get an interview. If they reject me, I will be furious and will take this case forward. This medical system and unversity system is a shambles everywhere, including universities like St George's and Nottingham. :angry:

PS: I did give UCAS my gamsat ID for 2013, so they told me they would contact all universities to use my GAMSAT 2013 results. So they should be aware!!! and I have proof!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 190
Original post by Rosser1994
Did you get an invite last year?
Maybe you didn't change your UCAS number to your old one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

To provide the universities with scores of previously sat GAMSAT scores, you contact UCAS with the confirmation of results, name, DOB etc. Who will contact Acer to confirm and then UCAS pass the results on to universities.
Reply 191
Original post by azrim
this is the first time I'm applying to Swansea University. I have been trying to get into medicine for ages.. just not got round to it and this is really messing up with emotions. All I know is, if I have a distinction at MSc level, and I got 60 in GAMSAT UK 2013, (52, 67, 61) then according to Swansea's requirement for this year, I should get an interview. If they reject me, I will be furious and will take this case forward. This medical system and unversity system is a shambles everywhere, including universities like St George's and Nottingham. :angry:

PS: I did give UCAS my gamsat ID for 2013, so they told me they would contact all universities to use my GAMSAT 2013 results. So they should be aware!!! and I have proof!

It's not even been a week since GAMSAT UK 2014 results were published. They're organising hundreds of interviews, perhaps cut them bit of slack. If they reject you or if you find everyone else has had interview invites and you don't then maybe it might be time to get annoyed. For now I suggest you calm down as no-one has received an interview invite, they've said their systems are playing up and we still have over a month until the interview dates anyway. There's no point in getting indignant.

Notts are organising the questionnaire and SGUL have stated their interviews invites are sent in batches/in due course.
Reply 192
Advice

Thank you for your comprehensive reply! I won't quote the whole thing so I don't clog up the thread. I did try using the Griffith's template this year, and it helped a bit. Hopefully familiarising myself with a few broad topics so I have case studies will save time in the exam as well as making things easier as I won't have to think of anything off the top of my head.

Is brushing up on sociology/ethics/philosophy that useful? I did read A.C. Grayling's The Meaning of Things as it was widely recommended, but I didn't think it helped me all that much. Would you recommend trying an actual textbook and learning the basics?

I won't clog up the thread with anymore GAMSAT questions then. To all of you who have made the cutoff but haven't heard anything yet hope it gets sorted out soon. Best of luck to all of you with interviews! Please keep updating the thread with dates so hopefully next year I'll know roughly when I should start the frenzied refreshing of my emails :smile:.
What did you have this time round? I had 64, so I am happy with that for the next 2 years!

In S3, I'm currently in my 3rd year of BMedSci, so that probably helped, but the main thing I did was download a torrent pdf of the Gold standard book, that helped a lot!

I would say, that biology is the main area to look into, I spend a solid 3/4 of my time on biology revision and it worked out well, the rest I spent on organic chem and re-learning how things bound in reactions etc.

I didn't learn any physics, as I only had 6 days to revise for the exam, but I would say there seems to be a lot less physics in this than I thought.

And by the way, you don't need to learn all of the gold standard book, just learn the basics behind each section, so you can kind of apply the mechanisms to each question.

Ah, thanks for that. I had seen a couple of books (Gold Standard, GAMSAT Guru etc) but didn't know anybody who had used them. If I do end up re-sitting I may use that to understand the pedagogy and basic skills requirements behind S3.

I got 58 because of my poor science knowledge. Hence this year it really is Swansea or nothing (although last year I got an interview for SGUL based on the second calculation).

Original post by Zorg
They say talking to yourself is the first sign of madness...

And sitting the GAMSAT three times in your mid-30s is a close second. I'm basically going to fork out for a related postgrad certificate if I don't get into Swansea. If I do re-sit for a third time, it will be while I'm doing that, as I really do have to put a time limit on this...
If I do re-sit for a third time, it will be while I'm doing that, as I really do have to put a time limit on this...

Yeah it's kind of different being my age (20) if I don't get in with 64 this or next year then I can probably apply a few more times or maybe (hopefully) there'll be some other method of getting through rather than gamsat/ukcat

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wl1

I won't clog up the thread with anymore GAMSAT questions then.

Yeah, I was worrying I was doing that, too. Obviously this thread is for the Swansea people. Everybody is different, but I would say an actual textbook or revision guide that will explain, for example, the difference between consensus and conflict models in sociology, normative and metaethics in ethics, Saltwater Vs laissez-faire economics etc will give you a way to structure your answers that is superior to the basic Griffiths method. It's more widely applicable than the topic-specific strands of thought advanced by Grayling in his many essay collections. :smile:

Good luck!
Yeah, I was worrying I was doing that, too. Obviously this thread is for the Swansea people. Everybody is different, but I would say an actual textbook or revision guide that will explain, for example, the difference between consensus and conflict models in sociology, normative and metaethics in ethics, Saltwater Vs laissez-faire economics etc will give you a way to structure your answers that is superior to the basic Griffiths method. It's more widely applicable than the topic-specific strands of thought advanced by Grayling in his many essay collections. :smile:

Good luck!

Although.. I understood 0 of what you said, and managed to bag a 61, so hope is not lost if you come to the section and your mind goes blank :smile:
Reply 197
Ah, thanks for that. I had seen a couple of books (Gold Standard, GAMSAT Guru etc) but didn't know anybody who had used them. If I do end up re-sitting I may use that to understand the pedagogy and basic skills requirements behind S3.

I got 58 because of my poor science knowledge. Hence this year it really is Swansea or nothing (although last year I got an interview for SGUL based on the second calculation).

And sitting the GAMSAT three times in your mid-30s is a close second. I'm basically going to fork out for a related postgrad certificate if I don't get into Swansea. If I do re-sit for a third time, it will be while I'm doing that, as I really do have to put a time limit on this...

Does your score from last year not meet the cut off this year...? Sorry I've lost track of people's scores and who they've heard from
I could be wrong but I believe if you sat GAMSAT last year and sit it this year, both results are passed on to the universities.

May be worth contacting SGUL?

I think putting a limit on it is a smart move, regardless of age. I've seen some on their 6th or 7th GAMSAT and while I commend their efforts, I sometimes wonder how one could put all of life on hold for so long.

I would love to do medicine and I genuinely can't see myself happier in any other role. But that's not to say there aren't other roles which I could achieve some satisfaction in. I'm in my mid 20s, so hardly old. But that doesn't mean I don't have a future I want to experience.

I've said since the beginning it'll be 2 or 3 cycles as a maximum for me. I'll be pushing late 20s by then.
Original post by Zorg
Does your score from last year not meet the cut off this year...?

Threshold has been raised for both calculations this year :frown:.

Good luck with your applications.

Although.. I understood 0 of what you said, and managed to bag a 61, so hope is not lost if you come to the section and your mind goes blank :smile:

Agreed! I still think being good at science is the most important thing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 199
I too have not received an email today about the Visit Day - despite scoring 68 in my GAMSAT. I only hope an error as been made. Although I'm feeling a bit picked on now as I had I ring up Nottingham today to get my questionnaire through as well.

Will give Swansea a call first thing. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending