The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Red Fox
Hope I find some people to hang with instead of being that creepy loner in the corner of the restaurant:lol:

Me too! I'll be at Cambridge for two days - and staying overnight between them - so I'm hoping to take some time to wander the town, enjoy the sights, entertain myself, etc. My only worry is that I'll be a bit bored there by myself. Doesn't help that I applied for the smallest subject at the smallest college and can't find anyone else being interviewed on the same days as me. :frown:
Original post by Robertus
Me too! I'll be at Cambridge for two days - and staying overnight between them - so I'm hoping to take some time to wander the town, enjoy the sights, entertain myself, etc. My only worry is that I'll be a bit bored there by myself. Doesn't help that I applied for the smallest subject at the smallest college and can't find anyone else being interviewed on the same days as me. :frown:

You are one of only two that applied.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which course and college?:tongue:
Original post by Obiejess

Posted from TSR Mobile

ASNAC at Emma has one applicant, must be weird knowing your only competition is yourself.
Original post by Red Fox
ASNAC at Emma has one applicant, must be weird knowing your only competition is yourself.

Give that poor person an unconditional offer :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you guessed Classics at Peterhouse then you're partially correct. :eek: In actuality though, I applied for the 4 year version of the course which is listed separately under the statistics. I'm the only applicant at Peterhouse for that, and the 2 who applied for the regular 3 year course are my "competition" - if it works in that way. :colondollar:

Original post by Red Fox
Which course and college?:tongue:

^^
Original post by Red Fox

True, especially considering had I applied this year it would have been me vs 30 others.

Same with Homerton Classics
(edited 9 years ago)
If you guessed Classics at Peterhouse then you're partially correct. :eek: In actuality though, I applied for the 4 year version of the course which is listed separately under the statistics. I'm the only applicant at Peterhouse for that, and the 2 who applied for the regular 3 year course are my "competition" - if it works in that way. :colondollar:

^^

I didn't guess haha, it says on your profile!
Original post by Bude8
Give that poor person an unconditional offer :lol:

It has a 100% success rate in the last two years from a sample of 1 applicant:tongue:
True, especially considering had I applied this year it would have been me vs 30 others.

Same with Homerton Classics

What are you thinking of applying for and where?
I didn't guess haha, it says on your profile!

Of course. :colondollar: But yes, being one of 3 does lessen the anxiety a teensy bit... Last year Peterhouse had the same number of applicants for Classics - all three received an offer and got in. :eek:
Original post by Red Fox
It has a 100% success rate in the last two years from a sample of 1 applicant:tongue:

What are you thinking of applying for and where?

Currently thinking Law, probably at Homerton - just to avoid being pooled. Being pooled isn't so bad if you're a guy, but if you're female it normally means an all female college. Given that I can't stand women I probably wouldn't enjoy that so much.
Of course. :colondollar: But yes, being one of 3 does lessen the anxiety a teensy bit... Last year Peterhouse had the same number of applicants for Classics - all three received an offer and got in. :eek:

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My my, what a scary question

Original post by Bude8
Oh man, when you meet someone with it you'll be quizzing them endlessly :lol:

He did say with his method it will take a long time but you really need to listen. I've downloaded some apps that will play piano notes to me and I have to press (guess? :rofl:) the right key :tongue:

I just don't understand how he can pick notes out when they're played so quickly :dontknow:

Yep, I pity them already. :biggrin:

Oh cool, what are the apps called, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Original post by drowninginsound
Yep, I pity them already. :biggrin:

Oh cool, what are the apps called, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

The best one I found for the iPhone that's free is called "Perfect Pitch", with a green background and a tuning fork icon. You get given a piano octave and they play a note to you, then you pick the one you think the note is :smile:

I'm averaging around 3/10 and 4/10 :moon:

Edit: High score! Just got 7/10. I'm good at identifying C#s for some reason :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Bude8
The best one I found for the iPhone that's free is called "Perfect Pitch", with a green background and a tuning fork icon. You get given a piano octave and they play a note to you, then you pick the one you think the note is :smile:

I'm averaging around 3/10 and 4/10 :moon:

Edit: High score! Just got 7/10. I'm good at identifying C#s for some reason :redface:

Awesome, thanks, I'll try and find it tomorrow and give it a go when I'm more awake. :tongue:

Well done, you'll be a pro in no time! (So long as everything is in C#...) :biggrin:
Original post by drowninginsound
Awesome, thanks, I'll try and find it tomorrow and give it a go when I'm more awake. :tongue:

Well done, you'll be a pro in no time! (So long as everything is in C#...) :biggrin:

I have actually felt myself improve a bit in such a short amount of time, I think you'll be able to pick up on it faster though :smile:
Original post by Bude8
As always, depends on what sort of thing you're looking for. Parasyte -the maxim- is an amazing one that's airing at the moment!

Original post by Red Fox
Just watched Death Note recently, it's starts off great but got a bit boring imo. Clannad made my cry so hard:lol:, you kinda have to battle through it at points in the first season but I'd recommend it. Bude knows way more than me though:tongue:.

Thanks, will try them both out when I get time! :biggrin:
Original post by JustaDreamer
Thanks, will try them both out when I get time! :biggrin:

Lol yeah, if you don't cry after watching Clannad then you're a heartless witch :lol:

Parasyte -the maxim- defo though, really really loving it.
Gah. 5 words too many on this bloody manifesto.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest