The Student Room Group

Nottingham GEM (A101) Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by gre92
Yeah that was the problem with my first email but have checked this time and it's not there so will just see on Monday and go from there I think :smile:

You're not alone :frown: I'm sure it's just that they are staggering their emails. Let's not get too upset!
Reply 101
Anyone else struggling to fit details of work experience into 150 characters? Seems like they just want a brief description.
Reply 102
Original post by MiloMilo
You're not alone :frown: I'm sure it's just that they are staggering their emails. Let's not get too upset!

If the interviews are over two weeks, it might turn out you guys are in the second week so have a later deadline :smile:
Reply 103
Original post by M150
If the interviews are over two weeks, it might turn out you guys are in the second week so have a later deadline :smile:

:frown: here is hoping!
Just a question; when filling out the work experience form, what do you write in the "details of work experience"? Do you write what what you learnt or job duties. There's only 150 charactera
Reply 105
Anyone else a bit worried that their work experience doesn’t look very impressive?

I volunteer as a Red Cross first aider and also with the Alzheimer society. So the hours I do with the BRC vary week to week, so when estimating the hours per week for the questionnaire I have only put 3. Also with the Alzheimers society, I only do 2 hours a month at their singing for the Brain group, so again this looks pitiful when asked to estimate the average hours per week (0.5hr).

I have managed to get 3 days shadowing at a hospital and also have 3 months helping every Saturday with the Riding for the Disabled. I would say in total I have ~120 hours of volunteer/shadowing work.

It should be pointed out I work full time as an engineer which gives me other skills that will be applicable for becoming a doctor, however I can’t write about that. Do you think they take this into account, the fact that some of us volunteer while still studying or working full time in a non-health related role?
Reply 106
Original post by nug
Anyone else a bit worried that their work experience doesn’t look very impressive?

I volunteer as a Red Cross first aider and also with the Alzheimer society. So the hours I do with the BRC vary week to week, so when estimating the hours per week for the questionnaire I have only put 3. Also with the Alzheimers society, I only do 2 hours a month at their singing for the Brain group, so again this looks pitiful when asked to estimate the average hours per week (0.5hr).

I have managed to get 3 days shadowing at a hospital and also have 3 months helping every Saturday with the Riding for the Disabled. I would say in total I have ~120 hours of volunteer/shadowing work.

It should be pointed out I work full time as an engineer which gives me other skills that will be applicable for becoming a doctor, however I can’t write about that. Do you think they take this into account, the fact that some of us volunteer while still studying or working full time in a non-health related role?

Have I missed something, why can't you put your role as an engineer down? I'd imagine it's useful if only to illustrate why you don't want to pursue that path and why you became attracted to medicine?
Reply 107
Just called to ask about the work experience questionnaire and they said I should have received it, took my details, and are going to look into it and send it to me. May be worth calling if anyone feels they're in the same boat?
Reply 108
Original post by Zorg
Have I missed something, why can't you put your role as an engineer down? I'd imagine it's useful if only to illustrate why you don't want to pursue that path and why you became attracted to medicine?

Unfortunately it clearly they want us to tell them about healthcare or healthcare-related work experience. I dont think jet engines count!
Reply 109
Original post by nug
Unfortunately it clearly they want us to tell them about healthcare or healthcare-related work experience. I dont think jet engines count!

Fair point. Though if you've put the job down on UCAS it's only a small leap to assume you've had to fit the volunteering around other commitments.
Reply 110
Original post by Zorg
Fair point. Though if you've put the job down on UCAS it's only a small leap to assume you've had to fit the volunteering around other commitments.

I do hope they look at the whole application and not just the questionnaire in isolation. I do write about my job along with my volunteer work in my PS and what I have got out of both. Maybe some clever wording in the future plans section may help them understand my time constraints!
Just handed in my work experience questionnaire. 150 characters per section. Slightly scared about pressing finish. hahah. But I ruminate for ages if I didn't press it. Now fearful of what experience is needed and the score "for office use only" at the end :s-smilie:
Reply 112
Contacted the office over lunch today and they sent me my questionnaire. Appears to have been some difficulty in sending these out? Although the lady I spoke to acted surprised I hadn't received anything...

I would recommend contacting them if you haven't received a questionnaire yet but met the cut off.
Is first aid a good thing to go into, for experience?
I'm already a part time support worker (in home supported living), and volunteer in the hospital once a week for 3 hours.
Really hoping to get a few weeks shadowing in too - but not too sure what kind of thing I could help them with?
2/3 years to go till I apply though (planning in advance :P) - assuming Nott's is still doing GEM (don't see why not).
Original post by hellodave5
Is first aid a good thing to go into, for experience?
I'm already a part time support worker (in home supported living), and volunteer in the hospital once a week for 3 hours.
Really hoping to get a few weeks shadowing in too - but not too sure what kind of thing I could help them with?
2/3 years to go till I apply though (planning in advance :P) - assuming Nott's is still doing GEM (don't see why not).

Look at clinical research assistant. Its a form of HCA but you get experience with doctors, surgeries, clinics and wards. Additionally you get clinical skills experience
Original post by Benhope7
Look at clinical research assistant. Its a form of HCA but you get experience with doctors, surgeries, clinics and wards. Additionally you get clinical skills experience

Thanks!
Though isn't that a very difficult job to get hold of. Not sure there are any in Sheffield very often?
Thanks!
Though isn't that a very difficult job to get hold of. Not sure there are any in Sheffield very often

They are usually around university based hospitals
Original post by Benhope7
They are usually around university based hospitals

Yeah, there's UoS med school... but I can imagine they are not something they will give to a 22-24 year old for a year?
Reply 118
Yeah, there's UoS med school... but I can imagine they are not something they will give to a 22-24 year old for a year?

If they are the positions I'm thinking of you need to illustrate a research interest and ideally experience of research. In my experience most of the research assistant posts go to PhD holders or MSc/MRes graduates.
Experience wise I'd expect it would be different, but the onus seems to be on caring experience rather than shadowing and I fear this would fall more closely to the latter.
Original post by Zorg
If they are the positions I'm thinking of you need to illustrate a research interest and ideally experience of research. In my experience most of the research assistant posts go to PhD holders or MSc/MRes graduates.
Experience wise I'd expect it would be different, but the onus seems to be on caring experience rather than shadowing and I fear this would fall more closely to the latter.

I think your thinking of research assistant rather than clinical research assistant (CRA). CRA, work with nurses and clinicians on clinical trials in a bench to bed mannner; so your involved with patient care in surgeries, wards and out patients clinics. Its great experience for pre med , because of how involved you are with patient care. Additionally most jobs last for either 1 or 2 years due to funding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending