The Student Room Group

Should all drugs be legalised?

Poll

Should all drugs be legalised?

Hi, there has been plenty of debate on whether all drugs should be legalised. What are your thoughts on this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
While I'm a Green supporter and ardently believe there's no case for keeping drugs such as cannabis illegal, given the benefits from having governments control its distribution and levy taxes on it, drugs such as heroin, methamphetamine and crack cocaine being readily available is something I'm more than a little uncomfortable with.

That said, moving to a model where drug addicts are seen as suffering from an illness and in need of help, rather than as hardened criminals, is something that makes a lot of sense.

I think it all depends on how the substances would be monitored/controlled and the definition of 'legal', i.e. noone's advocating being able to buy heroin from the corner shop, but how is its availability and supply/demand controlled? These are questions that don't seem to have satisfactory answers as of yet, whereas the 'war on drugs' has proved to be an abject failure and actually worsened things for users (polluted substances, exposure to criminal elements) and countries where the drugs are produced (spiraling gang violence) alike.
A thousand times yes. Can't be bothered giving reasons.
(edited 9 years ago)
As Bill Hicks says, if there's a war on drugs and we're losing it, then we're losing a war to people that are high.
Reply 4
The freer the market the freer the people.
y'all probably heard it a million times before, but Portugal legalized all drugs, and the amount of cases of addiction and crime dropped by a considerable amount.
im not sure how this would effect countries like the UK or the US, but for some states in the US legalizing cannabis has helped them win the fight against crime.
Reply 6
Cocaine and Heroin, whilst arguably the most physically damaging and most addictive drugs, bring in the most money in illegal smuggling. Legalising them and taxing the hell out of them would be one viable way to combat the illegal drug trade whilst less harmful drugs like weed, acid and shrooms could be legalised.

The problem is that if you legalise something like Cocaine and put up a high tax for it, the demand for it will increase as will the amount of illegal dealers. And unless you have a written reiceipt of when/where you acquired cocaine that was kept documented by the government, tracking illegal dealings would be difficult enough as it is.

Plus, having Cocaine and Heroin legalised is not something I think any country would want purely for how damaging they are. If we change the attitudes of some drugs yet legalise others, an illegal trade will still exist, even if Cocaine and Heroin are legalised. The stigma associated with it may be cause for one to stop taking such drugs, but its a hypocritical approach if all drugs are legalised.
Happy fun drugs like weed, LSD and MDMA: absolutely.
Grim **** like meth and heroin: Maybe don't make them available over the counter but certainly provide clinics for addicts and stop treating them as criminals
I guess cocaine is somewhere in between these two categories but I'd say legalise it if only to decimate cartel income and also because it's fun.
Original post by Captain Haddock
Happy fun drugs like weed, LSD and MDMA: absolutely.
Grim **** like meth and heroin: Maybe don't make them available over the counter but certainly provide clinics for addicts and stop treating them as criminals
I guess cocaine is somewhere in between these two categories but I'd say legalise it if only to decimate cartel income and also because it's fun.

Agreed completely.

making these drugs illegal and allowing tobacco, alcohol and sugary food legal when they do far more damage is illogical.
Original post by FredMFrancke
y'all probably heard it a million times before, but Portugal legalized all drugs, and the amount of cases of addiction and crime dropped by a considerable amount.
im not sure how this would effect countries like the UK or the US, but for some states in the US legalizing cannabis has helped them win the fight against crime.

Crime's dropped in the UK as well.
Reply 10
Original post by MatureStudent36
Crime's dropped in the UK as well.

But then why didn't it bring about the apocalypse in Portugal like many predicted? :s-smilie:
No current drug laws should be enforced against users and suppliers. Also prisons need to be places of austere punishment, not housing units for people who break laws where people are brutal and criminal.
Original post by n00
But then why didn't it bring about the apocalypse in Portugal like many predicted? :s-smilie:

I'd personally say too soon to say.

Changes in behaviour for populations take long times to change.
Tobacco, the most addictive known substance to humans in existence... should probably be more tightly regulated...
Drugs should mostly be legalised IMO but people should be taught about substance use throughout childhood and adolescence. At the moment the problems of drug use aren't really talked about to young people, as far as I know.
Reply 14
I think all drugs should be legal.

Drugs like cocaine, heroin and cannabis have only been illegal in most coutries since the early 1900s. Before then, they were widely avialable, you could buy cocaine from Harrods and relatively cheaply. You could be an addict for a few pounds a day rather than hundreds of pounds which forces addicts to steal, sell drugs themselves or go into other illegal activities like prostituition.

Making drugs illegal makes them very lucrative for the smugglers and pushers which makes their distribution much more cost effective. For example, its worthwhile for a small time dealer to offer drugs to school kids because they can make a lot of money. If drugs were cheap, the profit motive is a lot less and small time pushers targetting vulnerable people like kids, existing addicts and the underclass would be a lot fewer because they could buy it from a legit shops cheaper.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
I'd personally say too soon to say.

Changes in behaviour for populations take long times to change.

How long do we need to wait? You'd expect some kind of hint of the forthcoming apocalypse after 15 years wouldn't you? 40 years on in the Netherlands and still nothing of concern. We've only had prohibition for the last 50 odd years, yet we started to see the negatives of that pretty much straight away with a huge increase in crime and problematic drug use but managed just fine for the entirety of the rest of our existence.
Original post by n00
How long do we need to wait? You'd expect some kind of hint of the forthcoming apocalypse after 15 years wouldn't you? 40 years on in the Netherlands and still nothing of concern. We've only had prohibition for the last 50 odd years, yet we started to see the negatives of that pretty much straight away with a huge increase in crime and problematic drug use but managed just fine for the entirety of the rest of our existence.

Prohibition was originally introduced to address a growing problem with drugs in the early twentieth century. You used to be able to buy cocaine over the counter at the chemist. The end result was people turning to drugs.

Prohibition doesn't stop demand, it makes the rewards greater for meeting those demands.
Reply 17
Prohibition was originally introduced to address a growing problem with drugs in the early twentieth century.

Pushed strongly by those with vested interests and has been a massive failure.

Prohibition doesn't stop demand, it makes the rewards greater for meeting those demands.

But you still believe it to be the answer? :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by n00
Pushed strongly by those with vested interests and has been a massive failure.

But you still believe it to be the answer? :s-smilie:

Prohibition is society's method if saying this is the line in the sand. We don't want other members of society crossing that line.
Reply 19
Prohibition is society's method if saying this is the line in the sand. We don't want other members of society crossing that line.

And it doesn't work, quite the opposite it's caused a huge increase in crime and drug use. You seem well aware of that so why on earth do you want it to continue if your aim is to prevent drug use? :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending