The Student Room Group

St George's Medicine Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheUnicorn62
Amazing stats! Have you got an interview? If not, I'm sure you will with your academics!

No I haven't gotten an interview yet :frown: hoping one will come through soon but from the earlier posts I guess I have to wait till at least February/March

Thank you though :smile:

What are your stats??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did they mean you will hear about interview in Feb/March or your interview will be scheduled then?

No idea sorry!
I assumed that it meant I'll hear back then because some interviews for Feb have apparently already been sent
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
No I haven't gotten an interview yet :frown: hoping one will come through soon but from the earlier posts I guess I have to wait till at least February/March

Thank you though :smile:

What are your stats??

Posted from TSR Mobile

6A* 6A gcses
AS:AAAA
A2 pred: A*A*A
UKCAT:2600
Does anyone know if SGUL use cadaveric dissection?? Can't find it on their website...
Original post by MollyMcFly1
Does anyone know if SGUL use cadaveric dissection?? Can't find it on their website...

You learn from Cadavers in the 'dissection room' but they're already prosected.

They do however run a summer dissection programme where you can learn to dissect...
Original post by amyyy24
You learn from Cadavers in the 'dissection room' but they're already prosected.

They do however run a summer dissection programme where you can learn to dissect...

Thank you!! :smile:
Original post by lazymedic
MMI's are bliss :smile: Because you can mess up in one station but still pull it back in the others, plus most of interviewers know nothing about your grades or PS so that allows everyone to be judged fairly.

These competences?

Academic ability and intellect
Empathy
Initiative and resilience
Communication skills
Organisation and problem solving
Team work
Insight and integrity
Effective learning style

Hmmmm they assessed most of them informally, in the sense that they didn't have a specific station for most of them. For example communication skills is tested in every single station but on the other hand Empathy does have it's own station (Role play).

I just wrote this long email about the interview and prep, I'll PM you that and anyone else who wants it.

:smile:

Could I also get a pm !! Thank you
MMI's are bliss :smile: Because you can mess up in one station but still pull it back in the others, plus most of interviewers know nothing about your grades or PS so that allows everyone to be judged fairly.

These competences?

Academic ability and intellect
Empathy
Initiative and resilience
Communication skills
Organisation and problem solving
Team work
Insight and integrity
Effective learning style

Hmmmm they assessed most of them informally, in the sense that they didn't have a specific station for most of them. For example communication skills is tested in every single station but on the other hand Empathy does have it's own station (Role play).

I just wrote this long email about the interview and prep, I'll PM you that and anyone else who wants it.

:smile:

Could i get a PM too? Sounds really useful!
Original post by momoshakeel
Could I also get a pm !! Thank you

Me too please x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1069
Anyone recently get an interview, by recent I mean this week :smile:
Are all interviews given out before December?

nope last year I didn't hear until febuary about my interview which was then in March. Funnily enough the train tickets from it fell out of my pocket the other day.
Well I don't really have much experience with PBL (I've only been here 8 weeks :P). CBL is basically were you get a case which is spread over a few pages. The tutor gives you the first sheet and you discuss it with your group, explaining terms and if there's something that you guys don't know, you make that a learning objective. Then the next sheet is given out and you do the same thing, the next sheet usually tells you what happened to the patient next. Then after the session before the next one you have to find the answers for the learning objectives. Then you come back a next later and spend half the CBL session reviewing the answers you got. Then you start a new case.

I think in PBL you don't just focus on cases every week but medical problems. Although I'm not entirely sure. You might want to ask someone in the higher years. Sorry!! :colondollar:

PROBLEM based learning, you get questions that you need to research and fine the answers for. This was one of our first DSL's! (the body fluids on with the lecturer who kept on reminding us he was a kidney Dr).
Original post by katykay
PROBLEM based learning, you get questions that you need to research and fine the answers for. This was one of our first DSL's! (the body fluids on with the lecturer who kept on reminding us he was a kidney Dr).

my bad. Ohhh was it? I haven't done most of the DSLs

Aww bless him, he's so enthusiastic
Original post by katykay
nope last year I didn't hear until febuary about my interview which was then in March. Funnily enough the train tickets from it fell out of my pocket the other day.

Thanks! Was worried they gave all interviews out in November and I still haven't got one!
Original post by katykay

What determines when your interview is given?
What determines when your interview is given?

look at the website and prospectus. I'm seeing a lot of questions on here that are answered by the prospectus.
Original post by Nubian_Queen_97
thanks, what's the difference betweel CBL and PBL?

CBL is a lot less complex and you basically just follow a story without having to make decisions. It's just following a "case".

PBL is much more interactive and more complex, it's all done online so you follow a patient's story through hospital/GP, and you and your group have to make decision on what treatments and investigations you would give them. Our (completely fictional) patient ended up dying last week because we prescribed them a benzodiazepine when we weren't supposed to :frown: You spend far more time discussing each problem, and you end up with a larger list of learning objectives than you do for CBL.
One of my work experiences won't give me a letter IM SERIOUSLY PANICKING
Original post by NicolasCage7
One of my work experiences won't give me a letter IM SERIOUSLY PANICKING

if you have a certificate that may suffice
Original post by katykay
if you have a certificate that may suffice

No, I don't have anything from them fml

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending