The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by harrypotterfan6
Congratulations! And Good Luck on you're Cambridge interview!!!!! :smile:
Must have missed this before! Thanks!! :biggrin:

Original post by sarah.97
Congrats!!, are you international? What are your stats?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope not international :smile: 9A*s and an A at gcse (plus a in fsmq) then 4As and a B at AS and a 4A* prediction at A2
I applied on the 3rd of October so this has been a pretty lengthy wait, I wouldn't worry if you hadn't heard yet and a lot of the people who got offers from cambridge last year had to wait until January or February for warwick last year so I don't think they're in any rush aha :smile:
Reply 1701
what job an you get by studying economics ?
Taken me over 3 hours to read this week's economist and that was with me missing out all the science&tech/books and a fair few other articles hahaha :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alistair12
Yeah sure thanks man!
Applied on the 8th October
Maths and FM Scores :
C1: 100
C2 : 97
M1:96
S1:91
FP1: 93
C3:95
(We did C3 early so I didn't get fully certificated in fm)
History: 175/200
Economics: 186/200
Ngl personal statement was good, lots of stuff on it
Anyway good luck

Thanks,

I think my reply is being delayed over the lack of FM as I'm taking AS FM this year. I think that might be the decider :frown: Really want an offer! Got the same standard maths scores as you :wink:
Original post by EHZ17
Thanks,

I think my reply is being delayed over the lack of FM as I'm taking AS FM this year. I think that might be the decider :frown: Really want an offer! Got the same standard maths scores as you :wink:

Calm, it's just a waiting game tbh cos even if you're doing AS FM it's still something more than just maths students. I think it was my PS that got it for me ngl but still good luck
Original post by EHZ17
Thanks,

You're not going to get rejected on the basis of no A2 FM, there's other factors to the application. Plenty get in with just the AS and, likewise, plenty get rejected with the A2. As others have mentioned, you need an impeccable Personal Statement for LSE (which is probably the main deciding factor since so many people are near identical on paper).

Original post by Shahid786
Nice.. Can you answer seriously now? Plz

Here's a useful source: http://whystudyeconomics.ac.uk/After-you-graduate/the-careers-cloud/.
But virtually anything that doesn't require vocational training like Medicine, Dentistry, Engineering etc.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
You're not going to get rejected on the basis of no A2 FM, there's other factors to the application. Plenty get in with just the AS and, likewise, plenty get rejected with the A2. As others have mentioned, you need an impeccable Personal Statement for LSE (which is probably the main deciding factor since so many people are near identical on paper).

Here's a useful source: http://whystudyeconomics.ac.uk/After-you-graduate/the-careers-cloud/.
But virtually anything that doesn't require vocational training like Medicine, Dentistry, Engineering etc.

Surely UMS is more important that a PS? PS is hardly a product of entirely your own design, that's why Oxbridge don't make decisions on it.
Original post by EHZ17
Surely UMS is more important that a PS? PS is hardly a product of entirely your own design, that's why Oxbridge don't make decisions on it.

Yes UMS is important. But since they don't interview how else are they going to decide between the top candidates with high-flying UMS in all their subjects? The PS. LSE have stated on their website that they want students who genuinely want to learn economics rather than just doing it as a path to a prosperous career, and one way of filtering those who have a passion (albeit flawed I agree) is through the PS.

Edit: I know it's not entirely fair since different schools give different levels of help with the PS + external sources, but that's the game you have to play.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes UMS is important. But since they don't interview how else are they going to decide between the top candidates with high-flying UMS in all their subjects? The PS. LSE have stated on their website that they want students who genuinely want to learn economics rather than just doing it as a path to a prosperous career, and one way of filtering those who have a passion (albeit flawed I agree) is through the PS.

Edit: I know it's not entirely fair since different schools give different levels of help with the PS + external sources, but that's the game you have to play.

Yeah :/ I just hope mine was good enough as I feel I have the UMS but I do lack the A2 FM and I'm only picking up AS FM this year. For me it is 50/50 I think. Wouldn't be entirely surprised if I got rejected but I would be disappointed.
Been three days since I sent my application and I've got an offer at Manchester!
Original post by SteelCookie
Been three days since I sent my application and I've got an offer at Manchester!

Well done.Where else did you apply?I am sending mine's next week :smile:
UCL, Queen Marys, Southampton and Birmingham.

Manchester's my third choice, hoping to hear from the other two London Unis.
I'm interested in working in a big investment banking firm in America, how would I go about doing this after 3 years at Warwick Econs for example?
For this should I do a masters degree in Warwick/UCL/LSE or in an American uni?

I'm interested to see if anyone has any ideas or similar future plans!
Just got a UCL open day invite for the same day as prospective Oxford interview, what is the done thing here?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chughes17
Just got a UCL open day invite for the same day as prospective Oxford interview, what is the done thing here?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same I just got the email, but I'm supposed to be going on a economics trip on the same day!:frown:
Original post by sr234
Same I just got the email, but I'm supposed to be going on a economics trip on the same day!:frown:

I'm assuming that means you've just got offers from UCL. When did you apply?
Original post by kohakz
I'm assuming that means you've just got offers from UCL. When did you apply?

15th october:smile:
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Taken me over 3 hours to read this week's economist and that was with me missing out all the science&tech/books and a fair few other articles hahaha :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should normally take that long if you're reading it properly! Hah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr234

Since it clashes you can always email the UCL department so they arrange yours for a different day, they host several of these throughout the year. Although the next one is in February, so not sure if you'd want to wait that long?
Since it clashes you can always email the UCL department so they arrange yours for a different day, they host several of these throughout the year. Although the next one is in February, so not sure if you'd want to wait that long?

I just emailed, hopefully they'll reschedule me, or just send the offer straight through (unlikely). Feb is a long time to wait with only the promise of an offer and not solid confirmation though! Maybe they'll even withdraw their intent of an offer because of the Oxford interview clash, who knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest