The Student Room Group

Day to day, what small actions are you doing to help climate change?

I always re-use my plastic bags every time I go shopping and ALWAYS make sure I recycle my bottles and cardboard boxes..

Even though they aren't big changes, they all add up.

What are you doing?

Scroll to see replies

I don't know how much this is related but i'm*avoiding unnecessary chemicals, cosmetics in general.I'm trying to live moderately and not to pollute the nature.

(I also have a few balcony plants does that count? :biggrin: )
Reply 2
Nothing.
-Always take bags to supermarket so I don't have to use plastic ones.
-Turn lights off whenever they are not being used
-Put a jumper on instead of heating
-I am trying to get my flat in uni halls to set up a recycling bin but they don't seem to have grasped the concept :frown:
What do I do to help climate change?

Well I leave the water running while I brush my teeth, I leave the lights on when I don't need them, I try to avoid recycling when I can and I never re-use plastic bags. I also have shares in BP.
-Walk to school
-Turn lights off when they're not in use
-Showers rather than baths
-Never use plastic bags
-Public transport as an alternative to driving as much as possible
-Recycling, obviously
-Using LED bulbs
-Not leaving the TV or PC on standby
-Planning to go into climate research

Not entirely sure I agree that all of these changes 'add up'. Industry is fond of stressing the 'importance' of these little changes by flaunting big statistics but that's mainly because this puts all of the responsibility on us and none on them. In Sustainable Energy without the Hot Air, David Mackay shows that actually, whilst doing all of the above things are important, the only domestic changes that really make any conceivable difference are big things like replacing boilers with more efficient models, more efficient energy hungry appliances, double glazing, heat pumps, etc. Obviously domestic changes are important but it is equally as important, at least, for industry to make changes. It's wonderful that Microsoft is supporting this random twitter campaign but it'd be nicer if they actually did something useful.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by meenu89
Nothing.

Original post by tengentoppa

Well I leave the water running while I brush my teeth, I leave the lights on when I don't need them, I try to avoid recycling when I can and I never re-use plastic bags. I also have shares in BP.

I don't believe you :tongue:
http://natureisspeaking.org/

I believe this website and the films should go viral.

Also this planet desperately needs population control if we don't wanna live somewhere like Matrix in the future.
Metabolising.
Cycle everywhere, and I mean everwhere.
It has been weeks since I have been in a powered vehicle.😊
Original post by Jeanlucpicard
I always re-use my plastic bags every time I go shopping and ALWAYS make sure I recycle my bottles and cardboard boxes..

What are you doing?

As well as antagonising irrational environmentalists who are predicting impending doom. I do:-

Use hemp shopping bags.

Cycle or walk where possible.
Turn the lights off.

Compost.

Recycle.

Use a clothes dryer instead of a tumble dryer.

Bulk buy stuff to reduce packaging waste.

Use a log fire to heat the house instead of central heating.

Wear a jumper to keep warm.

Most environmentalists would do better to point out the economic benefits rather than ranting and raving about impeding doom and gloom.
(edited 9 years ago)
Nothing.

In fact, I back the opposite of all that climate obsessives want.
I want poorer countries do harness the power of carbon and production so they can drastically increase living standards.
My car is supposed to do around 60mpg and has such low emissions that I only pay £20 a year tax.
I recycle when possible.
I turn lights off when not in the room.

Original post by Falcatas
Nothing.

In fact, I back the opposite of all that climate obsessives want.
I want poorer countries do harness the power of carbon and production so they can drastically increase living standards.

You mean those poorer countries who are going to suffer the worst effects of climate change more than most other countries, despite them currently contributing very little to that climate change?

Fossil fuel sources are very expensive in a lot of African countries, while renewables work very well because of the climate. A single solar farm in Ghana increased generating capacity by 6%, for example. The idea that environmental damage is necessary for increasing living standards is pure fantasy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jeanlucpicard

What are you doing?

It's not a huge step, but I've recently been separating my recycling from my general waste in my bedroom, to avoid unintentionally sending recyclable material to landfill.
I cycle nearly everywhere. I've even contemplated cycling distances of 62 miles (one way) to get to places. I'd be happier doing this if trains had more capacity for bicycles.

Most or all lights in the house are now LED based, tonnes of insulation. Were thinking of solar panel instilation.
Reply 15
Nothing and probably never will
I just left the water running for 9 hours to spite everyone in his thread, MUHAHAHAHAHA I have just invalidated your lifes work.
Original post by Chlorophile
-Walk to school
-Turn lights off when they're not in use
-Showers rather than baths
-Never use plastic bags
-Public transport as an alternative to driving as much as possible
-Recycling, obviously
-Using LED bulbs
-Not leaving the TV or PC on standby
-Planning to go into climate research

Not entirely sure I agree that all of these changes 'add up'. Industry is fond of stressing the 'importance' of these little changes by flaunting big statistics but that's mainly because this puts all of the responsibility on us and none on them. In Sustainable Energy without the Hot Air, David Mackay shows that actually, whilst doing all of the above things are important, the only domestic changes that really make any conceivable difference are big things like replacing boilers with more efficient models, more efficient energy hungry appliances, double glazing, heat pumps, etc. Obviously domestic changes are important but it is equally as important, at least, for industry to make changes. It's wonderful that Microsoft is supporting this random twitter campaign but it'd be nicer if they actually did something useful.

Aren't Microsoft committed to being carbon neutral through carbon offset programmes? That sounds like doing something useful to me.

Everyone who drives a car or uses plastic or does pretty much anything in the modern world may as well have shares in BP (or Shell, or one of the other big ones).
Reply 19

Way edgy, bro.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending