The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone got any mock exams tomorrow? I've got maths at 9:00 and science at 1:00 -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by guitaristemily
anyone else have loads of stuff to do?

yh, and not for mocks :confused:

EDIT: Actually take that back. I had my maths mock. The rest are in january (taking maths early :/ )
Still. Majority wasn't for mocks.
Original post by Kimberlymegsx
They sound great choices, do you want to do medicine too?:smile: Since posting I've definitely decided chem bio and psychology. I'm thinking of doing English lit or lang at AS because I feel like 4 a-levels is a bit much tbh. I know maths is what I should be taking but I just can't stand it, Its always been my worst subject tbh, like I don't mind the maths within science but I just hate maths on its own! :confused: thankyou for the advice though it's very helpful. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I am, and I will probably only do psychology for an AS too, but might keep it depending on how it's going :wink: and yeah, maths is one of my best subjects but I just don't find it interesting, but I heard t gets much more interesting at a level so that's good :smile: yeah, do that, they are muuuuch better choices than health and social care anyways :biggrin:
Anyone got any mock exams tomorrow? I've got maths at 9:00 and science at 1:00 -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have mocks tomorrow too :frown: I have English Language at 8:30 and Science at 11:30 :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2724
Original post by Steliata
Hi, I know you weren't talking to me exactly but I'm considering taking Philosophy and Ethics for A Level. I'm doing it at GCSE and I'm enjoying it, but I'm wondering what exactly is involved in the A level course. Is it mainly learning theories and applying them? Or is it other stuff?

Thanks in advance :smile:

No that's fine I'm happy to help.
Personally, i hate philosophy and ethics, and I hated it at GCSE but only picked it bc of the GCSE grade i got and the teacher. But then I didn't even get the teacher i wanted, so yeah. Bad decision to make.
The course itself is okay. I'm taught it separately by teach for ph. and a teacher for eth. which is nice as it helps to distinguish the two because although some topics/themes run over between the two, they are different but compliment each other well.
In philosophy, the topics i've covered so far are Plato (allegory of the cave, the forms), Aristotle (the prime mover) (what I brand the smart, greek stuff :tongue:) and God being Good. In ethics, we've covered Relativism, Absolutism, Aquinas and Natural Law and Situation Ethics. I found the beginning of ethics quite dull but as we had to cover the basics but now in class, the pace is picking up so that's great. I'm only 3 months into the course so i've not done a huge amount.

In terms of your question about learning theories and stuff, I would say that Philospohy at the beginning introduces some challenging concepts which you need to understand (such as Plato and his concept of the forms) but you will understand them once you apply reasoning and logic (ha ha, this pun will make sense in a year's time). You will understand them, don't freak out. You need to be able to descibe and explain certain concepts in the exam, but of course you will be taught all this.
In ethics you will need to apply certain concepts to everyday situations and describe how people of a particular faith will act.

i know that each paper is made up of a part A question (25 marks) and a part B q (10 marks) which is 45 mins long. i think there are two of these for each philosophy exam and each ethics exam but don't quote me on that!

pick it if you enjoy the subject but most importantly, don't stress about the subjects too much. If you're going to your school's sixth form, they may allow you to change around your subjects closer to the start of year 12. and also, enjoy year 11! there can be times of joy in the midst of loads of revision and fear and stress and 23 exams!

If you need to ask anything else, i'd be happy to answer.
Reply 2725
Original post by tryrevise
I'm trying to pick between spanish and eng lit :frown: which do you find better and any advice on picking between languages and english? I enjoy them both equally and am predicted A* for both, my other subjects are biology, chemistry and maths so I really want a contrasting subject to give me a break from the sciences.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! I was predicted and gained A* in both French and English so I'm assuming here that like me, both subjects aren't subjects you find require huge amounts of effort and time. That puts you in a good place for year 12.
A friend of mine does bio, chem, maths and eng and I think she enjoys the combination.
Personally, i don't enjoy eng lit as much as last year; i think that the texts are great (I got lucky on 'The Great Gatsby' this year!) but in terms of class work, i find it slightly mundane and a quite similar to GCSE, it's just that you have to be slightly more aware of the markscheme and what you need to include in coursework and such else. I don't know you but if your taking heavy subjects like bio, chem and maths, eng lit might be a nice refreshing break for you.

french is probably one of my favourite subjects as i really enjoy switching into another language, it's like breaking code for me. Spanish probably will be more grammar heavy than it is at GCSE, but i suspect that just like French it will all be taught to you in year 12 so that year 13 is easier. You will master grammar, you just have to practice, practice, practice. Another friend of mine does physics and maths in addition to spanish and i don't think that sp overwhelms her other science subjects.

i know that my points above sound quite balanced, and you wanted me to suggest one that would compliment your other subjects but i don't want to push you into a decision. just know that both subjects are facilitating subjects, meaning that they are hard-core subjects respected by universities. By looking at your subjects, if you do ever want to take a medicine route at uni, i think that spanish might help you (say if you ever went around south america or even treated spanish speaking patients in the UK) but that's just an assumption.

i hope i helped - lemme know if you have any other Qs.
Original post by Purple-Pixie
I have mocks tomorrow too :frown: I have English Language at 8:30 and Science at 11:30 :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no! I've got English and further additional science tomorrow :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Izzyyyyy
Yeah I am, and I will probably only do psychology for an AS too, but might keep it depending on how it's going :wink: and yeah, maths is one of my best subjects but I just don't find it interesting, but I heard t gets much more interesting at a level so that's good :smile: yeah, do that, they are muuuuch better choices than health and social care anyways :biggrin:

Yes definitely! I wish I was good at maths and I wish I enjoyed it, but I'm just going to focus on getting a good a grade as I can in it for now :smile: same with me for psychology, I'm just going to drop the one I'm doing worst in- excluding Chem bio hehe :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone on this thread taking further additional science? I can't find any past papers for it just specimen papers-,-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone on this thread taking further additional science? I can't find any past papers for it just specimen papers-,-

Posted from TSR Mobile

Past papers of each separate science (on the same exam board as yours.) only answer the last two topics on the syllabus' because those 6 topics make up FA science

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fs1
No that's fine I'm happy to help.
Personally, i hate philosophy and ethics, and I hated it at GCSE but only picked it bc of the GCSE grade i got and the teacher. But then I didn't even get the teacher i wanted, so yeah. Bad decision to make.
The course itself is okay. I'm taught it separately by teach for ph. and a teacher for eth. which is nice as it helps to distinguish the two because although some topics/themes run over between the two, they are different but compliment each other well.
In philosophy, the topics i've covered so far are Plato (allegory of the cave, the forms), Aristotle (the prime mover) (what I brand the smart, greek stuff :tongue:) and God being Good. In ethics, we've covered Relativism, Absolutism, Aquinas and Natural Law and Situation Ethics. I found the beginning of ethics quite dull but as we had to cover the basics but now in class, the pace is picking up so that's great. I'm only 3 months into the course so i've not done a huge amount.

In terms of your question about learning theories and stuff, I would say that Philospohy at the beginning introduces some challenging concepts which you need to understand (such as Plato and his concept of the forms) but you will understand them once you apply reasoning and logic (ha ha, this pun will make sense in a year's time). You will understand them, don't freak out. You need to be able to descibe and explain certain concepts in the exam, but of course you will be taught all this.
In ethics you will need to apply certain concepts to everyday situations and describe how people of a particular faith will act.

i know that each paper is made up of a part A question (25 marks) and a part B q (10 marks) which is 45 mins long. i think there are two of these for each philosophy exam and each ethics exam but don't quote me on that!

pick it if you enjoy the subject but most importantly, don't stress about the subjects too much. If you're going to your school's sixth form, they may allow you to change around your subjects closer to the start of year 12. and also, enjoy year 11! there can be times of joy in the midst of loads of revision and fear and stress and 23 exams!

If you need to ask anything else, i'd be happy to answer.

Thank you so much, that's really helpful :smile:
Original post by kiera28
Past papers of each separate science (on the same exam board as yours.) only answer the last two topics on the syllabus' because those 6 topics make up FA science

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thankyou!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey there, I've not been on here for a while.

Quite a few things have happened since my last tsr visit; I have been advised a guaranteed a place at my local college, I now have a voluntary work placement :smile: and I've moved house!
Original post by NathalieGW
Hey there, I've not been on here for a while.

Quite a few things have happened since my last tsr visit; I have been advised a guaranteed a place at my local college, I now have a voluntary work placement :smile: and I've moved house!

Wow that great you don't have to think about your sixth form! What are you doing for your volunteering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
crying bc I now have to pay for mygcsescience additional science videos :'( :'( :'(
Does anyone know any other good websites? That website saved me last year :frown: </3
Original post by ImagineCats
crying bc I now have to pay for mygcsescience additional science videos :'( :'( :'(
Does anyone know any other good websites? That website saved me last year :frown: </3

I found out about that today, we are going to persuade our head of year to pay for it and I think bbc bitesize is pretty good, but it's obviously not like a teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Canttellyou
I found out about that today, we are going to persuade our head of year to pay for it and I think bbc bitesize is pretty good, but it's obviously not like a teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good idea! Give me the username if successful hahaha :tongue:
Good idea! Give me the username if successful hahaha :tongue:

Haha will do 😋. A friend told me that you can watch them if you don't watch it from the playlist but just as a normal upload, don't know how true that is though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell me about it ; i am well annoyed :mad:

wait WHAT NO MY GCSES NONONO THIS CANT BE TRUE

Latest