The Student Room Group

GCSE Options

Hi.

In December I have to choose my options for my GCSE's and out of the three options that we have, I have only decided on one and if possible it would be AMAZING if someone can give me some advice.

The subjects we have to take are:
English, Maths, Sciences, RS and one language (I want to take French.)

The subjects I want to take are:
History and Computing.

However, for this last option, I would like it to be in a way easy, but beneficial, if you know what I mean...

Anyway, these are the subjects I get to choose from:
Art, Geography, Another Language (Italian), ICT, PE, Music, Performing Arts, Product Design, Textiles and Food Technology.

Out of all these, the ones I wouldn't mind taking are:
Art, ICT, Music, PE, Product Design, Textiles and Food Technology.

I have no idea what any of the GCSE coursework is like but all I want is one that is easy on the mind (ish) and I can relax with (in a way).

Thanks.... :smile:
Original post by Rebecca850
Hi.

In December I have to choose my options for my GCSE's and out of the three options that we have, I have only decided on one and if possible it would be AMAZING if someone can give me some advice.

History and Computing.

However, for this last option, I would like it to be in a way easy, but beneficial, if you know what I mean...

Art, Geography, Another Language (Italian), ICT, PE, Music, Performing Arts, Product Design, Textiles and Food Technology.

I have no idea what any of the GCSE coursework is like but all I want is one that is easy on the mind (ish) and I can relax with (in a way).

Hi there, I'm currently in Year 11 doing my GCSE's so hopefully I can help.
The subjects you have chosen so far sound great and choosing one more subject that you really enjoy is a good idea.
As for the subjects that you are now choosing from; Art is a demanding subject in terms of coursework - my friends who take this subject are constantly working on their Art at home, however if it is something you enjoy, then do it. ICT is a useful choice but you will need to make sure you keep on top of the deadlines to ensure you get all tasks done on time. Perhaps, since you are already taking Computing, you could do a different subject rather than ICT to broaden your choices? However, if you really enjoy ICT, then go for it. I do not really know much about the other subjects but I would suggest choosing a subject that you like and also achieve good levels in as you will enjoy the lessons a lot more.

Hope that helped and feel free to ask me any more questions :smile:
Reply 2
If you can play a musical instrument and can write songs then take music! I did music GCSE and absolutely loved it.

I did AQA and there is a little bit of theory to learn for the exam, but it's almost all multiple choice. The exam is only worth 20% and the rest of your grade is made up from two compositions and two performances so you have to be able to play something. It is a really enjoyable subject however if you like to play music.
Original post by thepurplerain
The subjects you have chosen so far sound great and choosing one more subject that you really enjoy is a good idea.
As for the subjects that you are now choosing from; Art is a demanding subject in terms of coursework - my friends who take this subject are constantly working on their Art at home, however if it is something you enjoy, then do it. ICT is a useful choice but you will need to make sure you keep on top of the deadlines to ensure you get all tasks done on time. Perhaps, since you are already taking Computing, you could do a different subject rather than ICT to broaden your choices? However, if you really enjoy ICT, then go for it. I do not really know much about the other subjects but I would suggest choosing a subject that you like and also achieve good levels in as you will enjoy the lessons a lot more.

Hi fellow year 11! I do art and am struggling with the coursework because I also do French, German and History and they're all coursework heavy. I'm not sure what computing is like in terms of coursework (although my brother's taking it next year so I'll find out soon in the form of panicky hysterical coursework breakdowns) but if it's got a lot, then don't take art or a technology unless you strongly enjoy them. They're extremely hard work when you don't, especially with other coursework subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hey!
Also a year 11!

I personally would take Food Tech. It'll teach you something that you'll use for the rest of your life! Especially when you get to Uni and you're not the person living off takeaways that you cant afford!

I didnt take FT but all of my friends said its pretty laid back. Its not just at my school because at the start of the year i moved school.

Art is incredibly hard work it takes alot of spare time up!

Hope this helps you a bit!
Reply 5
Hey I'm in year 11 as well, taking Eng Lit and Lang, Maths, Additional Maths, core & additional & further additional science, History, Computing, Art and Drama.
I would say
History.. Quite easy if you can remember facts, names and reasons and the flow. can get an easy A* if you do that. Would be better if you're good at English as History is completely essay based and it will be quite hard if you aren't. ( Know this by looking at my friends)
Computing... If your good at programming, go for it, as 60% of your final grade is basically programming. At my school, about thirty-five boys take it, while there's only three girls including me, so can be annoying at times when they're loud and unfocused. A few boys in my class crashed the computer systems several times during the control assessment lol. I personally hate it, as even through I am an A*/A at the exam bit (the theory bit), I'm really bad at programming as I get frustrated and confused, which drags down my grade grrrr. If you are very logical and patient would recommend it, but if your not interested in programming and chose it because you like computers or video games and etc, it will be a pain. Still is useful so take it if interested.
Art... I would say no, unless you really enjoy it as it is a very hard working subject. This said, might be biased as I am a very slow drawer, while I hardly never procrastinate, and even then I have to stay up all night before mock exams, during art. Yep, not revising, but doing art. You have to make sure the quality and quantity is really good and the pressure is a lot. Lots of my friends, including myself regret taking it, because we took it thinking it was an easy subject to chill, don't think it is.
If your thinking about taking computing, don't take ICT because tbh its just a waste of time if your doing more harder stuff anyways in computing. My friends say they don't really learn much. I would chose Computing over ICT anytime, because the theory is more interesting.
PE sounds interesting and fun, and if your taking a lot of academic subjects, it will be a good one to chill. (I don't personally take it but my friends who are doing fully academic subjects said that, don't judge.) Would have loved to take it as I enjoy sports but chose drama instead.
One of my friends who does Art, Food tech and Textiles said she finds textiles too much work, as much of art, but isn't as enjoyable as art. She prefers Food tech the most, as it gives her useful skills and knowledge, while not being that hard. Oh, but it is quite expensive as I think you have to buy own ingredients lol.
No idea about Products and Music.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by thepurplerain

Thank you for replying so quickly :smile: I did hear rumors that art was very demanding which is why I was unsure whether to take it or not. I have my options meeting at school soon so hopefully that should help me decide but thank you for the advice. I have to admit, now I have thought about it, ICT doesn't sound like a good idea if I want to do computing as well. Thank you :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Jordan97
If you can play a musical instrument and can write songs then take music! I did music GCSE and absolutely loved it.

I did AQA and there is a little bit of theory to learn for the exam, but it's almost all multiple choice. The exam is only worth 20% and the rest of your grade is made up from two compositions and two performances so you have to be able to play something. It is a really enjoyable subject however if you like to play music.

Well that makes up my mind. I cannot play an instrument to save my life and the only one I would have any hope with is the piano and if you have to play a performance I'm screwed. Thank you :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by NavyBlueBear99
Hi fellow year 11! I do art and am struggling with the coursework because I also do French, German and History and they're all coursework heavy. I'm not sure what computing is like in terms of coursework (although my brother's taking it next year so I'll find out soon in the form of panicky hysterical coursework breakdowns) but if it's got a lot, then don't take art or a technology unless you strongly enjoy them. They're extremely hard work when you don't, especially with other coursework subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. I have to admit, although I do enjoy art, I don't enjoy it enough to take it as a GCSE based on the reports of how much coursework it has. I might end up taking a technology as an option as I am running out of choices but thank you anyway. :biggrin:
Thank you. I have to admit, although I do enjoy art, I don't enjoy it enough to take it as a GCSE based on the reports of how much coursework it has. I might end up taking a technology as an option as I am running out of choices but thank you anyway. :biggrin:

Don't take food tech and textiles together like i did - its a awful amount of coursework.

Especially if you have Child Development and Music on top!
Your options are great so far! And in terms of the third one, pick a subject, from that list, that you most enjoy. I'm in year 12 now, but for my GCSEs I picked graphics (product design), geography, french (back when doing a language wasn't compulsory), and art. I picked my options based on what I, back then, thought I wanted to do in the future. That, however, changed drastically (!), and I ended up HATING art and graphics. The amount of coursework required for art is horrendous, and for the majority of the two years we had to do what the teacher asked us to do... not what we wanted to (despite them claiming otherwise). Art actually ended up being my lowest grade because I just gave up halfway through year 11 on trying to do well (because I really really hated art at that point). Graphics/product design wasn't nearly as bad as art, but it certainly wasn't what I expected either. Keep in mind that when it comes to getting a job/going to uni, it's not your GCSEs that matter the most, but rather your A Levels. So honestly, follow your heart! I really wish I picked history instead of art, or psychology instead of graphics.... Don't let that be you! You don't want to regret your choices ! :smile:

Oh and if you want something that's 'relaxing' then you should go for food tech! It's pretty much the easiest, and if cooking is something you enjoy it can be quite fun too (although my school only offered it to BTEC science students, so most of us, myself included weren't able to do it... they cooked some great food though!) That's not to say there isn't a lot of work to do in food tech
Reply 11
Original post by IbbyMont
Hey!
Also a year 11!

I personally would take Food Tech. It'll teach you something that you'll use for the rest of your life! Especially when you get to Uni and you're not the person living off takeaways that you cant afford!

I didnt take FT but all of my friends said its pretty laid back. Its not just at my school because at the start of the year i moved school.

Art is incredibly hard work it takes alot of spare time up!

Hope this helps you a bit!

Thank you for this. I have to admit I have been wondering about FT as it would be quite useful for when I am older. However, because my parents aren't together anymore we haven't exactly got the most amount of money. Would that matter?
Reply 12
Original post by Lilytan
Hey I'm in year 11 as well, taking Eng Lit and Lang, Maths, Additional Maths, core & additional & further additional science, History, Computing, Art and Drama.
I would say
History.. Quite easy if you can remember facts, names and reasons and the flow. can get an easy A* if you do that. Would be better if you're good at English as History is completely essay based and it will be quite hard if you aren't. ( Know this by looking at my friends)
Computing... If your good at programming, go for it, as 60% of your final grade is basically programming. At my school, about thirty-five boys take it, while there's only three girls including me, so can be annoying at times when they're loud and unfocused. A few boys in my class crashed the computer systems several times during the control assessment lol. I personally hate it, as even through I am an A*/A at the exam bit (the theory bit), I'm really bad at programming as I get frustrated and confused, which drags down my grade grrrr. If you are very logical and patient would recommend it, but if your not interested in programming and chose it because you like computers or video games and etc, it will be a pain. Still is useful so take it if interested.
Art... I would say no, unless you really enjoy it as it is a very hard working subject. This said, might be biased as I am a very slow drawer, while I hardly never procrastinate, and even then I have to stay up all night before mock exams, during art. Yep, not revising, but doing art. You have to make sure the quality and quantity is really good and the pressure is a lot. Lots of my friends, including myself regret taking it, because we took it thinking it was an easy subject to chill, don't think it is.
If your thinking about taking computing, don't take ICT because tbh its just a waste of time if your doing more harder stuff anyways in computing. My friends say they don't really learn much. I would chose Computing over ICT anytime, because the theory is more interesting.
PE sounds interesting and fun, and if your taking a lot of academic subjects, it will be a good one to chill. (I don't personally take it but my friends who are doing fully academic subjects said that, don't judge.) Would have loved to take it as I enjoy sports but chose drama instead.
One of my friends who does Art, Food tech and Textiles said she finds textiles too much work, as much of art, but isn't as enjoyable as art. She prefers Food tech the most, as it gives her useful skills and knowledge, while not being that hard. Oh, but it is quite expensive as I think you have to buy own ingredients lol.
No idea about Products and Music.

Thank you for all of this, I wasn't quite expecting as much as you have written. :smile:

My knowledge of coding is not that great because of the 2 years of not doing it but when we did it in Year 7 I did pretty well. I am thinking about computing because I am generally interesting in it but also because the idea of being able to create something like a website would be amazing.

I am also a very slow drawer and sometimes just give up and draw something simple in my art book so art will probably not be the best thing for me... :biggrin:

I do enjoy PE but isn't it supposed to have a lot of written work? Or at least that's what I have heard. I am also very self confident which, I have to admit, doesn't help when, at my school, you are either very sporty, or not at all sporty and I am slap bang in the middle. I enjoy some but not others. I will probably end up not taking it.

I have thought of FT and the skills it offers but because of my parents being separated there isn't that much money going round so if it is expensive I wouldn't be able to take it... :frown:

Thank you again.
Reply 13
Original post by Midnightmemories
Don't take food tech and textiles together like i did - its a awful amount of coursework.

Especially if you have Child Development and Music on top!

Haha :smile: I'm definitely not taking two technology's as I really cannot be bothered to do two and also the fact that the school only allows you to take one. Would food tech or textiles be alright by themselves?
Reply 14
Original post by victoria98
Your options are great so far! And in terms of the third one, pick a subject, from that list, that you most enjoy. I'm in year 12 now, but for my GCSEs I picked graphics (product design), geography, french (back when doing a language wasn't compulsory), and art. I picked my options based on what I, back then, thought I wanted to do in the future. That, however, changed drastically (!), and I ended up HATING art and graphics. The amount of coursework required for art is horrendous, and for the majority of the two years we had to do what the teacher asked us to do... not what we wanted to (despite them claiming otherwise). Art actually ended up being my lowest grade because I just gave up halfway through year 11 on trying to do well (because I really really hated art at that point). Graphics/product design wasn't nearly as bad as art, but it certainly wasn't what I expected either. Keep in mind that when it comes to getting a job/going to uni, it's not your GCSEs that matter the most, but rather your A Levels. So honestly, follow your heart! I really wish I picked history instead of art, or psychology instead of graphics.... Don't let that be you! You don't want to regret your choices ! :smile:

Oh and if you want something that's 'relaxing' then you should go for food tech! It's pretty much the easiest, and if cooking is something you enjoy it can be quite fun too (although my school only offered it to BTEC science students, so most of us, myself included weren't able to do it... they cooked some great food though!) That's not to say there isn't a lot of work to do in food tech

I am not that great at cooking as in year 7 the first creation I made turned out to be a pink salad made of raspberries, yogurt, cucumber and some other strange ingredients. To be honest though I did just raid the fridge and there was nothing in there. But I do enjoy it and although my pink salad tasted disgusting I now know what not to put in a salad...

Thank you for your advice though, I will think about it when choosing :smile:
Haha :smile: I'm definitely not taking two technology's as I really cannot be bothered to do two and also the fact that the school only allows you to take one. Would food tech or textiles be alright by themselves?

It depends. Child Development and Food Tech tie in together pretty well, i find, especially since when we get into our next unit its about baby food.. :P

textiles is fun because its a lesson where i can just chill, tbh.
Reply 16
Original post by Midnightmemories
It depends. Child Development and Food Tech tie in together pretty well, i find, especially since when we get into our next unit its about baby food.. :P

textiles is fun because its a lesson where i can just chill, tbh.

Which do you prefer? Because although I am pretty rubbish at both, I also enjoy both, yet I am not very good at the written work for it so I would have to improve.
Hi.

History and Computing.

Hi there. I'm in year 12, and for my GCSEs I took Business Studies, Geography, German and Computing. The Computing coursework is quite fun, because you get to create little games using your code - I used HTML and NetBeans. Overall, I ended up with an A in my coursework and a B overall, but it is easy to get an A if you put some effort in. The grade boundaries are quite fair, e.g. I think it was 90% for an A* and 70-80% for an A.
I do know a little bit about the History coursework, but I'm afraid that it was quite strict on marks in my school. Some people who were really good had there's marked down, but still achieved an overall of As and A*s. However, History is a very good GCSE, and I regret taking Business Studies because I should have taken History.
If I were to give you any advice for that last option, Geography is quite difficult considering you have to learn quite a few case studies (certain facts the affects certain places). However, again, once you put the effort into it, it will come out good - I got an A because I put so much effort into it, and now I take it for A-Level. Geography, History and Computing are 3 great GCSEs, but aren't relatively easy. Also, I don't think you should take ICT if you were to take Computing, because for me it is now getting a bit useless. But it is a 'soft' option, despite the vast amount of coursework.
Hi.

History and Computing.

I am doing my A-Levels so I have been there. I would say to you is to think ahead. I regret not knowing what I wanted to do when I leave school. If I knew I wanted to join the armed forces back when I did my GCSE's I would have gone for subjects like P.E. My advice is to pick subjects for the job you want to do. If (like me) you had no idea, then do the subjects that you are good at and can get the best possible grades, but most importantly what you enjoy. Really look into what the course has to offer and be sure it's what you want to do.

Quick Reply

Latest