The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IceJJFish(II)
How is it easy? You grow an affiliation to the club, it becomes a part of your life. My local team are Leeds United, how is it easy for me to go from supporting their bitter rivals to them? And how can I support them both?

It's a nonsense. People don't switch teams cos it's seen as sacrilege in football.

It is in fact very easy. Leeds tickets can't be much. Go to matches with your mates, for cheap, and be seen as a supporter not a customer. What's not to like? After a few matches you'll be fine.

End of the day mate, I'll stick to United and you to Villa. You can have your local club high ground, I'll have the trophies :laugh:

Villa don't have trophies :confused:

4th highest in England? Taking us for any Brentford or Oxford.

Also have you ever been to a parade? If you haven't then your point is void.
Original post by Wilfred Little
It's a nonsense. People don't switch teams cos it's seen as sacrilege in football.

It is in fact very easy. Leeds tickets can't be much. Go to matches with your mates, for cheap, and be seen as a supporter not a customer. What's not to like? After a few matches you'll be fine.

Villa don't have trophies :confused:

4th highest in England? Taking us for any Brentford or Oxford.

Also have you ever been to a parade? If you haven't then your point is void.

How is it a nonsense? Why don't you try supporting West Brom for a few weeks then? How can you change to support a bitter rival :confused:

I do go to leeds games sometimes, not much more because got some racist abuse from own fans (yes not much and yes common everywhere but not the only one who complains about this).

Cba going through the trophies point because Villa are a historical club.

No I haven't been to a parade because I can't afford to get down to Manchester for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eboracum
That is silly, but it doesn't matter where you are from to be honest. What matters is that you love your club. Anything else is snobbery. It's this "high ground" argument you get from some. The reality is the big clubs (and I include clubs such as Leeds, Forest, Newcastle) have fans from all over the world. And that's a beautiful thing for me.

. :smile:

Absolutely not, support your local team.
In my opinion, the best British albumn of all time is 'London Calling' by the Clash.

****s all over the beatles and the stones
Reply 8064
Most of the people who insist you can only support your local team probably have a sunday league or semi pro team down the road. Support your local team as long as they're in the premier league amirite?
Original post by Zürich
Absolutely not, support your local team.

I quoted you before, can you please respond. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is it a nonsense? Why don't you try supporting West Brom for a few weeks then? How can you change to support a bitter rival :confused:

I've been to a couple of their games before, as I have with Blues. When they aren't playing us I wish them well so that is air.

I do go to leeds games sometimes, not much more because got some racist abuse from own fans (yes not much and yes common everywhere but not the only one who complains about this).

I know they are racist tbf, legit reason not to support them but surely there are other clubs you could go to.

No I haven't been to a parade because I can't afford to get down to Manchester for that.

Not really fair to say you've had trophies then, not over me if you've not actually been to the cup win or parade. When we win something again (we will), I will be out here doing this ting and actually celebrating the trophy win with the rest of Birmingham.
Original post by Zürich
In my opinion, the best British albumn of all time is 'London Calling' by the Clash.

I agree.
I quoted you before, can you please respond. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

whats you on about guv?
Original post by Fideo
Most of the people who insist you can only support your local team probably have a sunday league or semi pro team down the road. Support your local team as long as they're in the premier league amirite?

No you're not right. Villa are my nearest club at any level. I live within walking distance of the ground.
Reply 8070
No you're not right. Villa are my nearest club at any level. I live within walking distance of the ground.

"Most"
Original post by Fideo
"Most"

Cool evidence provided.
Reply 8072
Cool evidence provided.

You can't claim I'm wrong in a post where I said "most" not "all" by pointing out that 1 person doesn't fit my argument :lol: I'm not sure what evidence you expect me to get.
Original post by TheMagicRat
I agree.

''...London calling, see we aint got no swing, except for that truncheon thing''
Original post by Fideo
You can't claim I'm wrong in a post where I said "most" not "all" by pointing out that 1 person doesn't fit my argument :lol: I'm not sure what evidence you expect me to get.

It's a bull**** statement that you can never prove so not even worth posting it. But even if it's true, it's better to do that than to support a club you have zero attachment to other than the fact they are successful and on the telly a lot.
Reply 8075
It's a bull**** statement that you can never prove so not even worth posting it. But even if it's true, it's better to do that than to support a club you have zero attachment to other than the fact they are successful and on the telly a lot.

Most things posted in a football debate can never be proven, what a ridiculous argument.
Original post by Fideo
Most things posted in a football debate can never be proven, what a ridiculous argument.

Of course they can ffs :biggrin:

Such and such is good, such and such is bad is hard to prove, but you can quantify plenty of things, top scorer, top assister and so on.
I've been to a couple of their games before, as I have with Blues. When they aren't playing us I wish them well so that is air.

I know they are racist tbf, legit reason not to support them but surely there are other clubs you could go to.

Not really fair to say you've had trophies then, not over me if you've not actually been to the cup win or parade. When we win something again (we will), I will be out here doing this ting and actually celebrating the trophy win with the rest of Birmingham.

Not really its a flawed argument. I've been to a World Cup final where Pakistan one, are you saying that those people back home haven't won the World Cup then? Your argument is that you have to go to a game to win a trophy as a supporter, so only 45,000 fans can win a trophy each year (assuming at Wembley). Load of bull**** which means even a lot of locals according to you aren't proper fans :laugh: what if people are:

Sick
Working
Busy
Away

When there's a parade? Are they not fans? Clutching at straws here mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8078
Of course they can ffs :biggrin:

Such and such is good, such and such is bad is hard to prove, but you can quantify plenty of things, top scorer, top assister and so on.

And the ones about that can't be proven easily/at all are "bull**** statements not even worth posting"?
Not really its a flawed argument. I've been to a World Cup final where Pakistan one, are you saying that those people back home haven't won the World Cup then? Your argument is that you have to go to a game to win a trophy as a supporter, so only 45,000 fans can win a trophy each year (assuming at Wembley). Load of bull**** which means even a lot of locals according to you aren't proper fans :laugh: what if people are:

Sick
Working
Busy
Away

When there's a parade? Are they not fans? Clutching at straws here mate.

If you've not gone to a parade, then how have you won or even experienced a trophy any more than I have? I can remember all of MU's trophies from about '96 onward, does that mean I have trophies?

Obviously players win the trophies not the fans but you're saying you'll 'have the trophies' but you don't do you? You've been no more involved than anyone who doesn't support MU.

Also I'm pretty sure the locals have been to a hell of a lot more matches and contributed financially and vocally (in the stands) in a successful campaign than you ever have (especially if you can't even afford a train ticket over a short distance like Leeds to Manchester).

Latest