The Student Room Group

University 2015 Entry Maths Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
well my actual AS were AAAD and im doin AS further additional maths this year so yh. just learn off the book and do all the questions normally really, make a bit of notes but mainly its just practice and understanding really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice I plan on doing AS AFM aswell it's just still waiting for college to decide if I'll be able to do it. So how's revision for it going and which modules have you picked?
Original post by apple cakes
Nice I plan on doing AS AFM aswell it's just still waiting for college to decide if I'll be able to do it. So how's revision for it going and which modules have you picked?

this year im doing c3 c4 m3-5 fp2-3 s2 and i dont know whether i shud do d1 or s3. finished c3 c4 s2 im doing fp2(nearly finished and half way through m3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
this year im doing c3 c4 m3-5 fp2-3 s2 and i dont know whether i shud do d1 or s3. finished c3 c4 s2 im doing fp2(nearly finished and half way through m3.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally hated D1 but D2 wasn't so bad.
I'm unsure about which modules I should do either S2 S3 M3 or S2 M3 M4 people tend not to do very great on mechanics modules from what I've seen (well pretty much only from M1 results) and ive only covered bits of M1 and M2 yet so not sure
I'm unsure about which modules I should do either S2 S3 M3 or S2 M3 M4 people tend not to do very great on mechanics modules from what I've seen (well pretty much only from M1 results) and ive only covered bits of M1 and M2 yet so not sure

yh thats true people find mechanicshard due to the major part of understanding in it which is required and and not just reciting and just coughing out formulas whoch can be done for the other modules.

Posted from TSR Mobile

depends where your strength lies. mine is mechanics and pure maths so im not keen on doing s3. i like s2 though its much better then s1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
well my actual AS were AAAD and im doin AS further additional maths this year so yh. just learn off the book and do all the questions normally really, make a bit of notes but mainly its just practice and understanding really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay~Thanx
I am in AS now and will do BMO1 on friday.Haven't done any questions like that before so I will just make myself to sit for a 3.5 hours poor exam!
I hopefully begin my AFM on christmas holiday or after.And I will prepare for AEA &STEP as early as possible.Don't wanna make myself panic afterwards!
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll just do S2 and M3 and decided on the third module after those. Would prefer Mechanics enjoy that more.
depends where your strength lies. mine is mechanics and pure maths so im not keen on doing s3. i like s2 though its much better then s1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Prefer possibility (just started)to histogram things.Hated D1 at the beginning but now quite interested in that.
If I do ADM probabily start from M2 3 &FP
and C3&4 next year as well.(helpful to STEP)
Reply 188

Posted from TSR Mobile

D1 - an easy 100UMS.
Worth the trouble? No. You constantly have to check over for mistakes because every answer you can't go 'that looks right!', virtually every answer you'd ever get looks right. The algorithms invite errors in all the time as well.

What is the point in sorting out a list of 6 numbers by an algorithm, which somehow equates to 6/72 marks?

The only good bit is that it can be fun when applied to real life situations, like how a car can get from place to place in the shortest distance possible, either using all roads, stopping in all places, stopping at one and finishing at another etc.

But, I'd say do more mechanics or stats, which will help with STEP.
Original post by DomStaff
D1 - an easy 100UMS.
Worth the trouble? No. You constantly have to check over for mistakes because every answer you can't go 'that looks right!', virtually every answer you'd ever get looks right. The algorithms invite errors in all the time as well.

What is the point in sorting out a list of 6 numbers by an algorithm, which somehow equates to 6/72 marks?

The only good bit is that it can be fun when applied to real life situations, like how a car can get from place to place in the shortest distance possible, either using all roads, stopping in all places, stopping at one and finishing at another etc.

Hmm I'll never ever even try a step stats question though. And I don't want to waste time on a long module aswell. I'll see when they start teaching it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
D1 - an easy 100UMS.

I got 63 for D1 but 90 for D2 lol dunno how that happened must've flopped something really badly in D1 this is why I hate D1 with the passion
Reply 191
Hmm I'll never ever even try a step stats question though. And I don't want to waste time on a long module aswell. I'll see when they start teaching it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm gonna self-teach S2 then I might. People say they're easy marks.

I got 63 for D1 but 90 for D2 lol dunno how that happened must've flopped something really badly in D1 this is why I hate D1 with the passion

Haha, it's boring. What exam board are you? I'm OCR (normal).

s2 is really easy. much easier then s1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing Edexcel.
Also what's the difference between Step II and Step III, which one will you be taking or are you planning to take all of them?
Also any idea what the dates of the exams are?
Reply 194
I'm doing Edexcel.
Also what's the difference between Step II and Step III, which one will you be taking or are you planning to take all of them?
Also any idea what the dates of the exams are?

STEP III is based more on FM modules whereas STEP II is core modules (for the pure sections this is).

I'm going to do all 3.

They have been announced, I have forgotten though.
STEP III is based more on FM modules whereas STEP II is core modules (for the pure sections this is).

I'm going to do all 3.

They have been announced, I have forgotten though.

15th 17th 19th in order step 1,2 and 3 respectively.

Posted from TSR Mobile
15th 17th 19th in order step 1,2 and 3 respectively.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the dates.
School won't allow me to do AFM so kind of screwed now, so annoyed
Thanks for the dates.
School won't allow me to do AFM so kind of screwed now, so annoyed

lol its very simple. just learn it yourself and pay to sit the exams!

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol its very simple. just learn it yourself and pay to sit the exams!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The college said I can't sit them externally aswell so I'm kind of screwed this college is completely retarded

Quick Reply

Latest