The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LucyJane
Good luck!!!

Thanks! I'm just going over some examples of when I have displayed the required competencies that will be tested at the interview. Not sure there's much else that can be done to prepare!
Can somebody help?

Basically I wanted to get on the Generalist scheme (Foreign Office) and was rejected at the tests. However a spare of the moment thing I put Digital & Technology as my second choice and was successful at the tests and application form. Now they are asking me to do the e-tray. What is that and how long does it take?

I'm not sure what to do. I don't really know anything about the D&T scheme, is it really tecky? Should I continue or just drop out? What would you folks do?
You should have an interest in technology, but you don't have to be a computer programmer or systems administrator. I can't think of any reason not take the e-tray, unless you wouldn't take the job if offered it...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-fast-stream-digital-and-technology/civil-service-fast-stream-digital-and-technology
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by GManTheGMan
You should have an interest in technology, but you don't have to be a computer programmer or systems administrator. I can't think of any reason not take the e-tray, unless you wouldn't take the job if offered it...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-fast-stream-digital-and-technology/civil-service-fast-stream-digital-and-technology

I also think it would be a great practice run, if you are planning to apply again next year for GFS!
Does anyone know if they refund your transport fees for the FSAC?
Original post by kat.lev
I also think it would be a great practice run, if you are planning to apply again next year for GFS!

I didn't hear anything regarding e-tray, yet! Did you?
Original post by Consultingstude
Does anyone know if they refund your transport fees for the FSAC?

I think they do. Click on the 'Expenses' link on the right of the application website and then go on 'Expenses policy'--you'll find this and a lot more detail about how it works: "Providing you have spent at least £11, you may claim the amount of your actual travelling expenses from the place where you normally live, work or study to the test/assessment centre. However, you must pay the first £10 of the costs for each event yourself and this will be automatically deducted when you make any claim. Your journey should be by the most economical method of travel."
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Shahbaz Ahmad
I didn't hear anything regarding e-tray, yet! Did you?

Nope, not yet! I don't think they have released the second batch of e-tray results yet after the first lot at the beginning of November.. so fingers crossed band narrowing number 2 happens soon!

I think the final, final online tests are being sat this week so I suppose it should be roughly a month until we hear the final results.. seems a loooooong time!
Just sat my etray, it was the exact same one I did two years ago! Sadly i think i did better last time in the written exercise.. I couldn't come up with any real alternative ideas for the second part this time round..
Does anyone know whether we will need to do the cognitive tests (numerical, verbal reasoning) at the FSAC?
I sat the E-tray on Sunday night and have heard nothing - is this bad news?
Original post by Shatners bassoon
Just sat my etray, it was the exact same one I did two years ago! Sadly i think i did better last time in the written exercise.. I couldn't come up with any real alternative ideas for the second part this time round..

Wow that's a bit worrying!
They just posted this on the Fast Stream Facebook page:

The final e-Tray passmark will be set on Dec. 19th, so you'll know the results of this portion of the assessment by this date or before!
Original post by Laura.Laurent
They just posted this on the Fast Stream Facebook page:

The final e-Tray passmark will be set on Dec. 19th, so you'll know the results of this portion of the assessment by this date or before!

Got onto commercial assessment centre!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 1194
How long did it take for people's numerical and verbal reasoning results to be released? :smile: (I applied for the Early Diversity Internship Programme, but now the deadline for the programme has passed I was just wondering if the turnaround time might be similar...)
Original post by madl24903
Got onto commercial assessment centre!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Congratulations! Loving all the smileys :smile:
Original post by BWCW
How long did it take for people's numerical and verbal reasoning results to be released? :smile: (I applied for the Early Diversity Internship Programme, but now the deadline for the programme has passed I was just wondering if the turnaround time might be similar...)

Best thing to do is work out when the final tests will be sat, ie. the deadline plus the amount of weeks you have to sit them, and then presumably it will be about a week after that.
Can anyone advise me on what the E-tray tests consist of?
Original post by Yawn11
Can anyone advise me on what the E-tray tests consist of?

A hypothetical scenario!

Candidate shall have 20 minutes to go through the full scenario.

Section 1: 24 emails

Section 2: Written exercise

For more details see sample e-tray for practice on the Civil Service Fast Stream web page.
I'm on the 12th I have a question how do you know which of the streams you have been sent to the assessment centre for? As I applied for all three of the commercial and finance ones but the email inviting me to the AC didnt say which ones I was being assessed for

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending