The Student Room Group

Biochemistry or Biomedical Science (2015 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Queen Mary's*
Original post by st1997
I am applying for Biochem, not sure where else to apply!
Queen's or Warwick????

Queen's Belfast? Warwick is a very good uni, If you're undecided, are there particular aspects of the course you find interesting between the two? Perhaps potential lecturers or final year project supervisors that have been in the news?
Oh QMUL, well in that case, they are pretty much similar, my previous comment still stands though. My partner studies in Warwick and I can vouch for Leamington Spa (where you will most likely be staying from 2nd year) to be a lovely Regency style town. I study in London and I would make sure you are aware of how expensive it is to live in London. Do you know what you'd like to do post undergrad? I might be able to help you more :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by st1997
Hi,

I've been looking into either Biochemistry or Biomedical Science for university but it's definitely confusing because I previously was thinking of doing Medicine but came to the harsh realisation that my GCSEs were just too low and was scared to get five rejections.

If there is any current students who study Biochemistry or Biomedical Science at the moment, please let me know how it's going for you and what your course is like and what uni you're at.

Any current A-level students thinking of doing this too please comment and share thoughts!

Any ideas of future career path?

Hope we can help each other!

Hi everyone,
I'm just starting my first year if biochem at bristol and wondered if I could help with any of your questions...
I totally recommend the course, I'm loving it, the maths isn't hard in it (saw someone mentioned that) but confidence with data handling and concentration calculations defo helps. Quite a lot of chemistry so if that's not your thing then maybe biomed would be closer to medicine, but otherwise I would definitely recommend it!
Happy to answer any questions if I can help any of you!
Good luck :smile:
Original post by Abubkr_Ahmed97
ABB for Warwick and AAB for Sheffield. It depends, if i feel like i can get 2 A's i'll put Sheffield as my firm, if not then Warwick. I hope i'll get an unconditional from essex or bradford, then that'll be my insurance.

Hey :smile: I went to Essex to do Biomedical Sciences and I can say that both degrees are taught very well there. The academics are all very nice and their doors are always open. I know people don't consider Essex to be a great uni but it's definitely got everything in the right place. It's something like 12 in the world for universities under 50 years old and is among the top 2% universities worldwide and 9th in the country for research. But stats and figures only show half the facts. Let me know if you want to know anything about the uni :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by Bagsworth
Oh QMUL, well in that case, they are pretty much similar, my previous comment still stands though. My partner studies in Warwick and I can vouch for Leamington Spa (where you will most likely be staying from 2nd year) to be a lovely Regency style town. I study in London and I would make sure you are aware of how expensive it is to live in London. Do you know what you'd like to do post undergrad? I might be able to help you more :smile:

I live in London too. My teacher said that QMUL has a better Biochem department than Warwick but obviously Warwick is world-renowned uni. My only problem is that I don't really know anything about Warwick. I heard something about a class-system in relation to accommodation and other things, which I have no idea if is true or not? Can anyone confirm/reject this?

Yes, I have looked at the website and course structure of both. I think in a way I prefer Warwick's course structure a bit more than QMUL. Uh its actually really difficult, even though it is my 5th choice. Post-undergrad I'm not sure what I would like to do, I was thinking graduate-entry medicine however I am still in the process of thinking, hence why I chose a broad degree.
Reply 46
Original post by Bagsworth
I don't know if this has been explained later on but perhaps I can help you with the Biochem/BMS dilemma. I am a final year PhD student in Pharmacology, Toxicology and Pharmacy and I did Biomed as my UG degree. Biochemistry is much more focused on the chemistry of life. It's like biology from a chemistry perspective. If you've done Chemistry A level with EdExcel at least, you can choose a Biochemistry project and it's more about rather than thinking of an enzyme like a big glove that engulfs a substrate, think of the specific conformational changes that take place with specific sigma or pi bonding. Forget what you learn in Biology and think about it as molecules. Biomed is a more well-rounded degree, I had modules in cell biology, biochemistry, proteins and membranes, cancer biology, drug design, pharmacology, spectroscopy, organic chemistry, disease mechanisms, immunology, molecular medicine and specific modules about biomedical science to become a Biomedical Scientist (BMS) a BMS is state registered and (if you want to be a BMS) a sandwich year is recommended where you complete a year out in a pathology lab completing your portfolio of competence in a particular area (haematology, histology, microbiology or as I did mine: Clinical Biochemistry). It's a very good course (also your degree needs to be accredited by the institute of biomedical science) and well rounded that primes you for work in many areas. It's also a springboard for many people to progress onto medicine. Universities like St George's, London will progress the highest BMS graduates straight onto their fasttrack graduate entry medicine course. Let me know if you want to know anything else!

Thank you for your response, I already decided and sent my application, but effort counts :wink:
I decided on Biochemistry. I looked at the modules both degrees had to offer and even looked at Biology and found that most of the modules were in fact the same. The courses I applied for are very biology based - think of it this way, there is like 1 chem module for 5 biology modules. I don't think it matters that much in the end, because the modules are similar. I made my choice and stopped losing sleep over it.
The modules that you pointed out, I have seen them in pretty much both biochemistry and biomed degrees.
What actually swayed me towards biochem was the fact that when I went to an open day and attended a talk about biomed the person asked who was doing this to get into medicine - 95% of people put their hands up. I seriously abandoned the medicine path and biomed made me think of all the patient talk. I do understand that the degree is designed for that, but it's not something I want to do anymore. I would rather work in a research lab/ industry than for the NHS. I am not dissing biomed by any means, both degrees sound awesome but I just prefer biochem.
Your PhD course sounds really interesting. If you don't mind can you say how you got there after doing your UG degree? :biggrin:
Reply 47
Original post by Lexxaa
Thank you for your response, I already decided and sent my application, but effort counts :wink:
I decided on Biochemistry. I looked at the modules both degrees had to offer and even looked at Biology and found that most of the modules were in fact the same. The courses I applied for are very biology based - think of it this way, there is like 1 chem module for 5 biology modules. I don't think it matters that much in the end, because the modules are similar. I made my choice and stopped losing sleep over it.
The modules that you pointed out, I have seen them in pretty much both biochemistry and biomed degrees.
What actually swayed me towards biochem was the fact that when I went to an open day and attended a talk about biomed the person asked who was doing this to get into medicine - 95% of people put their hands up. I seriously abandoned the medicine path and biomed made me think of all the patient talk. I do understand that the degree is designed for that, but it's not something I want to do anymore. I would rather work in a research lab/ industry than for the NHS. I am not dissing biomed by any means, both degrees sound awesome but I just prefer biochem.
Your PhD course sounds really interesting. If you don't mind can you say how you got there after doing your UG degree? :biggrin:

Hi, where are you applying and what your predicted grades if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by st1997
Hi, where are you applying and what your predicted grades if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

My school is currently being a *insert appropriate word here* and they still haven't sent my application to UCAS, although it's been ready for several days and I have sent it two weeks ago to my school. But nvm, maybe they will send it. They don't have a reason not to because everything is done on my part and my references are done too.

Anyway. Sorry for the rant - but I can't even. :rolleyes:

I applied to:
Surrey, Leicester, Manchester, Kent and Nottingham Trent University.
I went for a range of choices to be safe. I want to do a year in industry/abroad so I went for unis with those options and checked their modules as well.

My school doesn't really give us predicted grades, we had to guess and check with them - which is stupid, but what can you do. :rolleyes:
In my AS I got: AABCD and for my A2 my predicted grades were put as ABB.

My school went with the option of - "If we think your choices are too high for you to achieve, we will tell you." :s-smilie: So only 1 subject (biology) predicted me a grade - and I had to ask them to tell me it. 1 subject (chemistry) asked what grade I needed, and the last subject (history) didn't know why I was asking for a predicted grade... But let's hope all goes well. I am stressing out over this so much and it hasn't even been sent yet. It should be sent any hour. :angry:

What about you? I see you've also decided on biochemistry :biggrin:
Reply 49
Original post by Lexxaa
My school is currently being a *insert appropriate word here* and they still haven't sent my application to UCAS, although it's been ready for several days and I have sent it two weeks ago to my school. But nvm, maybe they will send it. They don't have a reason not to because everything is done on my part and my references are done too.

Anyway. Sorry for the rant - but I can't even. :rolleyes:

I applied to:
Surrey, Leicester, Manchester, Kent and Nottingham Trent University.
I went for a range of choices to be safe. I want to do a year in industry/abroad so I went for unis with those options and checked their modules as well.

My school doesn't really give us predicted grades, we had to guess and check with them - which is stupid, but what can you do. :rolleyes:
In my AS I got: AABCD and for my A2 my predicted grades were put as ABB.

My school went with the option of - "If we think your choices are too high for you to achieve, we will tell you." :s-smilie: So only 1 subject (biology) predicted me a grade - and I had to ask them to tell me it. 1 subject (chemistry) asked what grade I needed, and the last subject (history) didn't know why I was asking for a predicted grade... But let's hope all goes well. I am stressing out over this so much and it hasn't even been sent yet. It should be sent any hour. :angry:

What about you? I see you've also decided on biochemistry :biggrin:

No worries for the rant! I like the choice of uni's you've chosen. Apparently Manchester is meant to be really good for Biochemistry! I was unsure to put that one down because I already had some high ones :frown: but my predicted are AAB, whether I get them or not is another story uh :confused:

I put down Nottingham, Kings, Reading, Leicester and not sure between QMUL/Aston (i was thinking of Warwick but changed my mind)
Has anyone applied to oxford?? For biomed???
Reply 51
Original post by st1997
No worries for the rant! I like the choice of uni's you've chosen. Apparently Manchester is meant to be really good for Biochemistry! I was unsure to put that one down because I already had some high ones :frown: but my predicted are AAB, whether I get them or not is another story uh :confused:

I put down Nottingham, Kings, Reading, Leicester and not sure between QMUL/Aston (i was thinking of Warwick but changed my mind)

It would be nice to get AAB, but I am fine with getting ABB. What did you get in AS? I totally ignore the teacher predictions because they have never ever predicted my grades correctly - just honestly evaluate yourself :tongue:

That's totally people's opinion - I really like the options Manchester has to offer as it seems very flexible. I also like their year in industry that is abroad - which is what I want. It's a Russel Group uni too - which doesn't matter to me too much but it just shows that it's well respected. The only thing I am concerned with is distance, because I want my family to give me free food and if I move to Manchester that's about 3+ hours away on the train. So it all depend on what offers I get :rolleyes: Let's hope I get some.

I considered Nottingham and Reading. I didn't put down Nottingham because the want AAB and if the offered me that then I wouldn't have accepted, because I don't think I can get it. I chose Kent over Reading because of the year abroad and experience options and the course content.

So your options are:
Nottingham - AAB
King's - AAB
Leicester - ABB
Reading - BBB/ABC

QMUL - ABB
Aston - They don't offer biochemistry, unless you mean Biological Chemistry which is very Chemistry heavy-ish. ABB-BBB

I wouldn't worry too much since you could for example put and AAB option as your firm and an ABB-BBB option as your insurance. There is always clearing if all else fails. But, don't go to a uni because it has higher grade expectations, go to the one you think you'll like better :biggrin: - I've heard that so many times, but it sounds reasonable.

I really like King's btw, but I didn't want to go to London and their requirements are high :P but the course sounds awesome.
Maybe we'll both end up at Leicester :biggrin: I loved it when I went to the open day. I would have chosen a BBC option maybe, but since your predicted are higher, I don't know if you would want to.

I would just look at the course content and the ac accommodation and everything again. I was trying to choose between Warwick, Kent and Reading and I did a comparison table and ranked out of 10 how much I liked the accommodation, course content, league table position (I know that league tables are not that important but they help to see the approx. reputation of a uni), the city type, nightlife, the lecturers. I used the complete university guide and looked at the uni profiles on there and things. :biggrin:

My application has been sent to UCAS minutes ago and I don't know what to do :eek:

Let me know where you apply so we can bond over it (translation = cry and stress about life choices) :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lexxaa
If you don't mind can you say how you got there after doing your UG degree? :biggrin:

When I completed my UG degree I applied for a lot of studentships for PhDs and got interviews for some of them but unfortunately didn't get them. Where I am now was a funded MRes but they later extended it into a PhD and instead of getting the MRes, it counted as my first PhD year. :smile:
Do you know whether Warwick University is good for Biochemistry? Because on the league tables they are quite low for biosciences with student feedback being more negative than other unis...
Reply 54
Original post by Lexxaa
It would be nice to get AAB, but I am fine with getting ABB. What did you get in AS? I totally ignore the teacher predictions because they have never ever predicted my grades correctly - just honestly evaluate yourself :tongue:

That's totally people's opinion - I really like the options Manchester has to offer as it seems very flexible. I also like their year in industry that is abroad - which is what I want. It's a Russel Group uni too - which doesn't matter to me too much but it just shows that it's well respected. The only thing I am concerned with is distance, because I want my family to give me free food and if I move to Manchester that's about 3+ hours away on the train. So it all depend on what offers I get :rolleyes: Let's hope I get some.

I considered Nottingham and Reading. I didn't put down Nottingham because the want AAB and if the offered me that then I wouldn't have accepted, because I don't think I can get it. I chose Kent over Reading because of the year abroad and experience options and the course content.

So your options are:
Nottingham - AAB
King's - AAB
Leicester - ABB
Reading - BBB/ABC

QMUL - ABB
Aston - They don't offer biochemistry, unless you mean Biological Chemistry which is very Chemistry heavy-ish. ABB-BBB

I wouldn't worry too much since you could for example put and AAB option as your firm and an ABB-BBB option as your insurance. There is always clearing if all else fails. But, don't go to a uni because it has higher grade expectations, go to the one you think you'll like better :biggrin: - I've heard that so many times, but it sounds reasonable.

I really like King's btw, but I didn't want to go to London and their requirements are high :P but the course sounds awesome.
Maybe we'll both end up at Leicester :biggrin: I loved it when I went to the open day. I would have chosen a BBC option maybe, but since your predicted are higher, I don't know if you would want to.

I would just look at the course content and the ac accommodation and everything again. I was trying to choose between Warwick, Kent and Reading and I did a comparison table and ranked out of 10 how much I liked the accommodation, course content, league table position (I know that league tables are not that important but they help to see the approx. reputation of a uni), the city type, nightlife, the lecturers. I used the complete university guide and looked at the uni profiles on there and things. :biggrin:

My application has been sent to UCAS minutes ago and I don't know what to do :eek:

Let me know where you apply so we can bond over it (translation = cry and stress about life choices) :rolleyes:

Yes! I ended up choosing Birmingham.... even though it wasn't one of my options, I chose it because I loved the campus when I went to the open day.

Leicester looks really good! Yes, let's bond over this:tongue:! Same my application got sent off a few mins ago, but my school has to process it which will prob take them till the end of the week:angry:

My friend has applied to both Kent and Aston and she's received an offer for both, I think BBB? So hopefully you get an offer for Kent too!

Let me know how everything goes for you.. I'm sure there's a much more private way of talking on here? I have no idea how if there is!
Reply 55
Original post by st1997
Yes! I ended up choosing Birmingham.... even though it wasn't one of my options, I chose it because I loved the campus when I went to the open day.

Leicester looks really good! Yes, let's bond over this:tongue:! Same my application got sent off a few mins ago, but my school has to process it which will prob take them till the end of the week:angry:

My friend has applied to both Kent and Aston and she's received an offer for both, I think BBB? So hopefully you get an offer for Kent too!

Let me know how everything goes for you.. I'm sure there's a much more private way of talking on here? I have no idea how if there is!

I sent you a PM :biggrin:
Has anyone got an interview for manchester?!
Anyone got offer for biomedical sciences for university of edinburgh?
Original post by Fish eyes
Has anyone got an interview for manchester?!

My friend applied for biomed at Manchester and got an interview he went to last week and walked out with an offer. He said that the interview mostly consisted of Doctor Who and only lasted about 15 minutes 😂 he did get 4 A's in AS for Biology, Physics, Maths and Psychology and has good gcse's of like 3 A*'s and the rest A's

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by reynoldsl
My friend applied for biomed at Manchester and got an interview he went to last week and walked out with an offer. He said that the interview mostly consisted of Doctor Who and only lasted about 15 minutes ������ he did get 4 A's in AS for Biology, Physics, Maths and Psychology and has good gcse's of like 3 A*'s and the rest A's

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha shame I don't watch that. Yeah I know the interview is around 20 mins I'm not sure what you do for the rest of your time their because mine is from 12-5 ish. Were their any other specific questions your friends was asked? Thanks for replying :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending