The Student Room Group

How euro sceptic parties get funding

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/putins-farright-ambition-thinktank-reveals-how-russian-president-is-wooing--and-funding--populist-parties-across-europe-to-gain-influence-in-the-eu-9883052.html

It has been revealed that Putin has been supporting populist far right (And anti EU) parties across Europe.

The time will come when people will see who backs the eurosceptics and their movement! Long live the EU, freedom and democracy!
(edited 9 years ago)
And this is news how?
Much how we support pro EU parties in Eastern Europe?
Reply 2
Original post by Jammy Duel
And this is news how?
Much how we support pro EU parties in Eastern Europe?

It's NOT a surprise that Putin has been found the French front nationale and Ukips ally Alternative for Germany in order to weaken it destroy the EU which Putin sees as a threat.

The point I am making is it is far from a coincidence that parties that advocate leaving the EU tend to not be vey nice and have dirty baggage such as being supported by a nationalist quasi dictator like Putin.

Personally although no proof as of yet I would be surprised if ukip has not received similar funding
Original post by Davij038
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/putins-farright-ambition-thinktank-reveals-how-russian-president-is-wooing--and-funding--populist-parties-across-europe-to-gain-influence-in-the-eu-9883052.html

It has been revealed that Putin has been supporting populist far right (And anti EU) parties across Europe.

The time will come when people will see who backs the eurosceptics and their movement! Long live the EU, freedom and democracy!

Yeah Multi-national companies and intellectual elites. RT has been since I have been watching it anti west, so anti-EU, US, NATO. It is a Russian network.
Reply 4
We must increase sanctions on Russia, they are interfering and must be beaten.
Original post by Rakas21

And you mean that the West didn't interfere at all?
Tbh, don't really need to impose many more sanctions, the low oil prices almost has them in recession, they don't need much more of a drop to go into recession next year; the impact of the lower oil price has had more than double the impact of the sanctions, the decreased oil price is also good for us.
Reply 6
And you mean that the West didn't interfere at all?
Tbh, don't really need to impose many more sanctions, the low oil prices almost has them in recession, they don't need much more of a drop to go into recession next year; the impact of the lower oil price has had more than double the impact of the sanctions, the decreased oil price is also good for us.

Of course the west interferes, the difference is that's it in our self interest as westerners, it is not in our self interest for Russia to expand even a centimeter.

True, we may need to pile on the pressure in the future though.
Original post by Rakas21
Of course the west interferes, the difference is that's it in our self interest as westerners, it is not in our self interest for Russia to expand even a centimeter.

True, we may need to pile on the pressure in the future though.

You honestly believe that Western interference in Ukraine was selfless? We don't want to let go of the Cold War any more than Putin does.
Reply 8
Original post by Rakas21

They are and this needs to be shown! The relativists and the nihilists are showing their true colours and we the democratic people of Europe need to make a stand and not allow this obvious threat to linger!

The NF are Frances third largest party, this is an imperative danger to Europe. We tackle this by showing to the public who they are and what they stand for, this could well end up being the greatest test that Europe has ever faced.
Reply 9
You honestly believe that Western interference in Ukraine was selfless? We don't want to let go of the Cold War any more than Putin does.

Nice try: now read this
http://m.foreignaffairs.com/articles/142260/michael-mcfaul-stephen-sestanovich-john-j-mearsheimer/faulty-powers

TL;DR, all it took was reading 7 words in the top left corner. Of course they're going to support the Western position, how about you do a quick read on the Council of Foreign Relations?

Does any country act selflessly? It's not about being selfless, it's about self interest. It is in our interest as part of the single market to prevent potential consumer markets like Ukraine from joining the Russian customs union. Aside from which on a basic territorial level, the expansion of Russia must not be tolerated. Agreed.
Reply 12
TL;DR, all it took was reading 7 words in the top left corner. Of course they're going to support the Western position, how about you do a quick read on the Council of Foreign Relations?

Oh right because the west is always wrong and any attempt to say otherwise is just western bourgeois imperialism? I've given you a direct link to an article by three experts on the field showing that the analysis you have is wrong. Of course they're goog to be favouring their own side just as Russia will favor theirs, but if you look at it in average the west are right .
Original post by Rakas21
Does any country act selflessly? It's not about being selfless, it's about self interest. It is in our interest as part of the single market to prevent potential consumer markets like Ukraine from joining the Russian customs union. Aside from which on a basic territorial level, the expansion of Russia must not be tolerated. Agreed.

So it's fine for the West to put in a puppet government and effective expand its boarders but it's not okay for Russia to have a puppet government or reclaim the lands, not necessarily to be absorbed into its own borders?

Oh right because the west is always wrong and any attempt to say otherwise is just western bourgeois imperialism? I've given you a direct link to an article by three experts on the field showing that the analysis you have is wrong. Of course they're goog to be favouring their own side just as Russia will favor theirs, but if you look at it in average the west are right .

An orgnanisation in bed with the US government will very rarely say that the US government was wrong, much like an organisation in bed with the Russian government would never say that the Russians were wrong. If I showed you an article with four experts saying it wasn't Russia's fault would you accept it if the publishing organisation was in bed with the Russian government? Doubt it. How about something the Swiss have to say on it?

And look at what "in average"?
So it's fine for the West to put in a puppet government and effective expand its boarders but it's not okay for Russia to have a puppet government or reclaim the lands, not necessarily to be absorbed into its own borders?

Yes.
Reply 15

An orgnanisation in bed with the US government will very rarely say that the US government was wrong, much like an organisation in bed with the Russian government would never say that the Russians were wrong. If I showed you an article with four experts saying it wasn't Russia's fault would you accept it if the publishing organisation was in bed with the Russian government? Doubt it. How about something the Swiss have to say on it?

Everyone is going to ave an opinion, that doesn't mean that there aren't objective truths.

I think the article is right in assessing that the Ukraine crisis is a result of what all dictators do when facing problems at home: present the person in charge as being the only person strong enough to "protect" them from foreign interference. it is this and only this that is the cause of the current Ukraine problem.
Original post by Rakas21
Yes.

I propose you go and read about some of Putin's speaches, this is the exact sort of attitude which is contributing to what they're doing, the belief of the West that they're infallible world police because they're the West, all Russia are doing are perfectly demonstrating the exact double standards you are showing "It's fine if my country or their allies do it, anybody else does it you're wrong".
Let's take this to a slightly different level, does this mean that it's okay for you and your friends to murder and rape etc people, but if I do or my friends do it it's a bad thing?
Everyone is going to ave an opinion, that doesn't mean that there aren't objective truths.

I think the article is right in assessing that the Ukraine crisis is a result of what all dictators do when facing problems at home: present the person in charge as being the only person strong enough to "protect" them from foreign interference. it is this and only this that is the cause of the current Ukraine problem.

Really, because I thought the problems came along because some of the people of Ukraine backed by the West didn't like an "unelected" Russian puppet government, so then they spent a while putting an unlectected Western puppet government in place and then other Ukrainians backed by the Russians didn't like it so also fought back.

Again, the double standards of teh West (and any government) which plagues foreign affairs. And just because objective truths exist doesn't mean that they have been stated.
I propose you go and read about some of Putin's speaches, this is the exact sort of attitude which is contributing to what they're doing, the belief of the West that they're infallible world police because they're the West, all Russia are doing are perfectly demonstrating the exact double standards you are showing "It's fine if my country or their allies do it, anybody else does it you're wrong".
Let's take this to a slightly different level, does this mean that it's okay for you and your friends to murder and rape etc people, but if I do or my friends do it it's a bad thing?

Your not wrong but that besides the point. The west has the economic advantage and requires new markets, if that means pissing off Russia then so be it.

No, but it means that if one company tries to poach you and i give you a better deal then while we're pissing off that other company it's frankly tough.

Russian annoyance should not dictate our actions. They can step into line or lose the ensuing economic war.
Reply 19
Really, because I thought the problems came along because some of the people of Ukraine backed by the West didn't like an "unelected" Russian puppet government, so then they spent a while putting an unlectected Western puppet government in place and then other Ukrainians backed by the Russians didn't like it so also fought back.

This is true. The difference is however that Russia has undoubtedly sent in troops and given military support to the Crimean rebels whilst no one from the west has supported the popular Ukraine government. The pro west movement didn't need unidentified masked gunmen around to show their support.

Additionaly, the pro russian segment has made it clear that they will not accept democratic elections: http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/04/30/ukraine-crisis-horlivka-idINKBN0DG0FY20140430

So then the difference is then that Russia relies on force in order to achieve its aims.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending