The Student Room Group

Choosing A levels

I will soon be choosing what subjects to take for AS and I am going to do: physics, maths, chemistry but for my fourth subject I am torn between further maths and geography, I am really good at geography and on the gifted and talented list but further maths is said to help for studying physics at a university which I intend on doing, can anyone give me advice?
Original post by Minzky
I will soon be choosing what subjects to take for AS and I am going to do: physics, maths, chemistry but for my fourth subject I am torn between further maths and geography, I am really good at geography and on the gifted and talented list but further maths is said to help for studying physics at a university which I intend on doing, can anyone give me advice?

Unless you're planning on applying to somewhere like Oxbridge or Imperial, I'd go with Geography. Without a doubt, Further Maths would be more useful - that's undeniable, and if you don't think you like Maths enough then maybe Physics isn't the right subject for you since Physics is pretty much just applied Maths. However, for your sake, if you think you'd enjoy Geography more and that you'd do better, I think it's fine.
Reply 2
All 5 are good options. All will be welcomed by all umiversities so there aren't any bad choices here.

So do the one you like the most.
Reply 3
Ok, physics is for me, it's my favourite subject and also my best, maths I like but I don't do as well in the exams which is why I am having a harder time deciding, but I think I am leaning more towards geography as I find it easier and it will allow a wider range of potential careers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Minzky

Assuming with those A levels you want to go into a science based degree Further Maths would certainly help. I have to agree with Chlorophile that Further Maths would definitely help with Physics (a hell of a lot of Physics applicants will have F Maths), and if you struggle with Maths you would definitely struggle with a Physics degree. I would say choose whatever you enjoy most at this stage - focus on your GCSES and decide what sort of science degree you want to go for :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by MrJAKEE
Assuming with those A levels you want to go into a science based degree Further Maths would certainly help. I have to agree with Chlorophile that Further Maths would definitely help with Physics (a hell of a lot of Physics applicants will have F Maths), and if you struggle with Maths you would definitely struggle with a Physics degree. I would say choose whatever you enjoy most at this stage - focus on your GCSES and decide what sort of science degree you want to go for :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to do a physics degree, its not that i struggle with maths its just that i think geography would be an easier A grade and would open more doors when it comes to future careers, thats why i asked the original question
Reply 6
Original post by Minzky
I want to do a physics degree, its not that i struggle with maths its just that i think geography would be an easier A grade and would open more doors when it comes to future careers, thats why i asked the original question

What will open your careers up will be the type of degree you take (which you have said is Physics). Geography is practically useless in a Physics degree compared with Further Maths (where you will encounter a lot of mechanics stuff which will be present in your Physics degree). Take Further Maths if you want to get ahead and have an advantage when applying for Physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I went to sixth form open evening and I have decided to do further maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest