The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8100
Original post by Wilfred Little
He doesn't need to and I don't expect him to, because there have been other ways to travel posted in this thread. But obviously you missed those.

I'm sure there's a whole bunch of lads he knows who go down to the parades he could have got a lift from....... As for the other suggestion, if that means what I think it does then I can't be bothered to tell you why that isn't the best idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Problem with City is that they have too much Arsenal DNA in their team :lol: .
Original post by Ggmu!
I'm sure there's a whole bunch of lads he knows who go down to the parades he could have got a lift from....... As for the other suggestion, if that means what I think it does then I can't be bothered to tell you why that isn't the best idea.

Obviously it's not the best idea but plenty of fans do do it. I've done it as a last resort. S'nuffin.
Original post by TheMagicRat
You can get the coach to most places in Britain for a ridiculously small cost.

I've done Manchester to Leeds for £1, London to Manchester for £5 and London to Brussels return for £30 before. Lots of people are snobbish about coach travel but you can save such a huge amount, it helps if you're going with another person so you're not sat next to some randomer for hours.
I'm snobbish about it tbh. I just want to get there ASAP so end up taking the train. It's not so bad if it's roomy and has a toilet but if not it's agony.
Original post by sr90
I've done Manchester to Leeds for £1, London to Manchester for £5 and London to Brussels return for £30 before. Lots of people are snobbish about coach travel but you can save such a huge amount, it helps if you're going with another person so you're not sat next to some randomer for hours.

Tbh being stingey about non luxury spending is a good thing. E.g. Going to Aldi/LIDL/the old Netto.
I like the Megabus myself, and Ryanair, I just don't see the point in paying more for transport.

Put it this way, wealthiest people I know live by these principles.
**** coach I take train to anywhere if somebody doesn't want to drive.
If I'm doing Megabus, I make sure I haven't slept before I get on that bus, so that I can forced my eyes closed while I'm on it.
It's not hard, that's a complete myth. One of my mates was a Blackburn fan in the 90's then switched to Blues. One of my teachers grew up an MU fan (from London) then started going to Blues and is now a massive Blues fan. It's hard if you care what other people will think of you maybe.

There are exceptions to supporting non local teams but not many. We've got loads of fans ourselves but what have they ever had to cheer really?

If MU fall off and start seriously struggling I bet you a lot of people will find it easier.

This is interesting. I had a friend switch from Villa to Blues. It was interesting because in infant school I knew 0 Blues fans, and at least 30 Villa, but by secondary school, it was about 60-40 Villa.

My Auntie switched from Birmingham City to Arsenal after moving from Birmingham to London to take up a job. At first she tried to stick with Blues, but being in London and hating the owners at Blues made her change. Now she has an Arsenal shirt and goes to games and wrote a book on Wenger.

My Mum switched from Manchester City to Birmingham City about 30 years ago when she moved from Manchester to Birmingham, Dad stuck with United though, thus I follow them now.

The attitude I take is life is short, don't give a **** what anyone else thinks and just support who you want. Your real mates will accept it after some initial stick. If they are still going on about it three years later or if they won't talk to you like any other fan they are not your real mates.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Absolutely not, support your local team.

You wouldn't only date local girls
You wouldn't only listen to local music
You wouldn't only buy local groceries
You wouldn't only wear locally made clothes
You wouldn't only have local friends
Why would you only support a local team?

I believe in capitalism and a free market. If I could get a better product in London, why would I invest in Burnley?

btw, aren't you from the Netherlands? Support your local Ajax?

I've been to a couple of their games before, as I have with Blues. When they aren't playing us I wish them well so that is air.

You absolutely can have a second team. Mine is Birmingham City. When I was in school Blues were in the Premier League, me and my mate went to 12 of the 19 away games and a couple of cup ones, had some epic adventures I'll never forget. At Highbury we got moonied at. At the Madejski the Reading fans tried to tip our coach up. At St. James' I was 30 seconds away aged 15 from missing the coach back! :tongue:
Tbh If I move out to Nottingham next year then Nottingham Forest will be a second club I support. Much easier to go to the games than Arsenal no? :biggrin:
Original post by AR_95
Tbh If I move out to Nottingham next year then Nottingham Forest will be a second club I support. Much easier to go to the games than Arsenal no? :biggrin:

Last year when I was thinking of uni's to apply to I was interested in Nottingham. I got talking to this guy and he gave me all kinds of recommendation/advice about the uni, I asked him about football in that city ie- Notts County and Nottingham Forest. He said quite a few of the students from both universities go to watch the home games and it's a lot of fun. Tickets aren't too expensive either. So by all means AR that's not a bad idea, something entertaining to while away the time. You can always hop on a train from time to time to check on Arsenal :smile:
Btw Eboracum's post got me thinking...I have actually supported football for a while! In my early days (childhood) growing up in Holland, I remember supporting PSV Eindhoven whilst all my friends were Ajax supporters. Hard times :colonhash: Arsenal was inherited from (most) of the fam so I've always been tied to both of these teams although I don't follow Eredivisie that much anymore :frown:

#LPslifestory. Sorry I'm bored.

What made you guys support the clubs you do now? Any other clubs from other countries that are special to you? :smile:
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Btw Eboracum's post got me thinking...I have actually supported football for a while! In my early days (childhood) growing up in Holland, I remember supporting PSV Eindhoven whilst all my friends were Ajax supporters. Hard times :colonhash: Arsenal was inherited from (most) of the fam so I've always been tied to both of these teams although I don't follow Eredivisie that much anymore :frown:

#LPslifestory. Sorry I'm bored.

What made you guys support the clubs you do now? Any other clubs from other countries that are special to you? :smile:

for me -

Spoiler

Last year when I was thinking of uni's to apply to I was interested in Nottingham. I got talking to this guy and he gave me all kinds of recommendation/advice about the uni, I asked him about football in that city ie- Notts County and Nottingham Forest. He said quite a few of the students from both universities go to watch the home games and it's a lot of fun. Tickets aren't too expensive either. So by all means AR that's not a bad idea, something entertaining to while away the time. You can always hop on a train from time to time to check on Arsenal :smile:

Forest and County's grounds are right next to each other, they're literally separated by the Trent. It's quite remarkable.
Original post by sr90
Forest and County's grounds are right next to each other, they're literally separated by the Trent. It's quite remarkable.

Trent Bridge also within the vicinity as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fallen_acorns
for me -

Spoiler

Ahh that's nice! At least your friends led you to the right club :wink:
Even though watching them now causes pain :frown:
Hehe :tongue:

Original post by sr90

Yeah I heard! Good thing they're in different divisions otherwise the rivalry would be soo intense.

Yeah I heard! Good thing they're in different divisions otherwise the rivalry would be soo intense.

Is there a word limit to opening posts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
Is there a word limit to opening posts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll ask :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Think i have it easier then long-term arsenal fans actually..

See, you guys can remember the days when arsenal used to win the league and destroy teams..

But me? I have only known the recent-years arsenal, and the FA cup last year, was the only trophy I have seen them win..

So really, this is status-quo for me at the moment.. whereas I guess for you guys its a whole leap down from what you were used to..

Latest