The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IceJJFish(II)
Is there a word limit to opening posts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah and you've reached it! Just put anymore quotes throughout the thread :smile:

Original post by fallen_acorns
Think i have it easier then long-term arsenal fans actually..

See, you guys can remember the days when arsenal used to win the league and destroy teams..

But me? I have only known the recent-years arsenal, and the FA cup last year, was the only trophy I have seen them win..

So really, this is status-quo for me at the moment.. whereas I guess for you guys its a whole leap down from what you were used to..

lol no. I'm merely the same as you but I do remember Arsenal's CL final with Barca in 06. I was in year 5 back then and of course most of family and friends watched it. The invincibles season is a myth to me, I don't even know what I was doing back then. It's one of those things you know vaguely about.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
What made you guys support the clubs you do now? Any other clubs from other countries that are special to you?

Original post by fallen_acorns
Think i have it easier then long-term arsenal fans actually..

See, you guys can remember the days when arsenal used to win the league and destroy teams..

But me? I have only known the recent-years arsenal, and the FA cup last year, was the only trophy I have seen them win..

So really, this is status-quo for me at the moment.. whereas I guess for you guys its a whole leap down from what you were used to..

I'd agree tbh. I think it's much harder as a long term fan since we were so use to being "the big guys" of the league, instead of the joke we are now. The hardest thing about it is knowing that we have the resources, and are very close to being one of the top clubs again but we're being held back by Wenger/the board. Not taking shots at LP but when I heard the suggestion of resigning Kim Kallstrom my heart sank because of how much the standard and expectation of the club has dropped.

I started watching Arsenal at a very young age so I've experienced 2 premier league titles, FA cup vs UTD and also the CL final vs Barca. **** man I also remember our loss to UTD after 49 games so vividly. Back then I was too young to actually analyse the football or gain enough knowledge though but I still grew a strong bond towards the club, which is why I absolutely hate when people say "maybe I should support club X instead", even if they are joking.
Wenger needs to go and I've admitted that I'm part of the Wenger out brigade. But he's been the only manager I've experienced so when he does leave it'll be an emotional day.

For your question LP, I use to give France a strong following for the cups in 2004/2006, mainly because of Thierry/Pirez and Vierra :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
I'd say the opposite really. I think it's much harder as a long term fan since we were so use to being "the big guys" of the league, instead of the joke we are now. The hardest thing about it is knowing that we have the resources, and are very close to being one of the top clubs again but we're being held back by Wenger/the board. Not taking shots at LP but when I heard the suggestion of resigning Kim Kallstrom my heart sank because of how much the standard and expectation of the club has dropped.

I started watching Arsenal at a very young age so I've experienced 2 premier league titles, FA cup vs UTD and also the CL final vs Barca. Back then I was too young to actually analyse the football or gain enough knowledge but I still grew a strong bond towards the club, which is why I absolutely hate when people say "maybe I should support club X instead", even if they are joking.
Wenger needs to go and I've admitted that I'm part of the Wenger out brigade. But he's been the only manager I've experienced so when he does leave it'll be an emotional day.

For your question LP, I use to give France a strong following for the cups in 2004/2006, mainly because of Thierry/Pirez and Vierra :biggrin:

You've agreed with him....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah and you've reached it! Just put anymore quotes throughout the thread :smile:

Dang. Is there no way for me to have the post 2 as well? Not like it was related to the thread :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You've agreed with him....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rofl. Long day at work; edited.
Original post by AR_95
Rofl. Long day at work; edited.

Thought so :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zürich
Absolutely, between playing with myself and that and streaming the Arsenal, the internet dont really have no consequence innit

Zürich makes his return
Original post by AR_95
I'd agree tbh. I think it's much harder as a long term fan since we were so use to being "the big guys" of the league, instead of the joke we are now. The hardest thing about it is knowing that we have the resources, and are very close to being one of the top clubs again but we're being held back by Wenger/the board. Not taking shots at LP but when I heard the suggestion of resigning Kim Kallstrom my heart sank because of how much the standard and expectation of the club has dropped.

I started watching Arsenal at a very young age so I've experienced 2 premier league titles, FA cup vs UTD and also the CL final vs Barca. **** man I also remember our loss to UTD after 49 games so vividly. Back then I was too young to actually analyse the football or gain enough knowledge though but I still grew a strong bond towards the club, which is why I absolutely hate when people say "maybe I should support club X instead", even if they are joking.

That's okay. I suppose it's harder to hear things like that especially when you've actually lived through Arsenal's good old days and experienced the club at a very high level.

Thanks for the interesting read :smile:

Dang. Is there no way for me to have the post 2 as well? Not like it was related to the thread :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Done. I've given you the second post as well now. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
That's okay. I suppose it's harder to hear things like that especially when you've actually lived through Arsenal's good old days and experienced the club at a very high level.

Thanks for the interesting read :smile:

Done. I've given you the second post as well now. :smile:

Thanks LP, much appreciated! #Bestmod

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8129

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't beg it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8130

Posted from TSR Mobile

don't beg it
:mmm:

lol no. I'm merely the same as you but I do remember Arsenal's CL final with Barca in 06. I was in year 6 back then and of course most of family and friends watched it. The invincibles season is a myth to me, I don't even know what I was doing back then. It's one of those things you know vaguely about.

Well now I feel old...
Reply 8133

lol no. I'm merely the same as you but I do remember Arsenal's CL final with Barca in 06. I was in year 6 back then and of course most of family and friends watched it. The invincibles season is a myth to me, I don't even know what I was doing back then. It's one of those things you know vaguely about.

Year 5 babes
Original post by Fideo
Year 5 babes

Well.. Oh yeah I see Finals took place June/ May 2006? Oh so I would have started year 6 that September! Year 5 it was. :tongue: I shall edit.

Original post by sr90
Well now I feel old...

I'm scared to ask now but how old were you then? :ninja:
Original post by Fideo
Year 5 babes

Stalker
Reply 8136
Stalker

can confirm
Well.. Oh yeah I see Finals took place June/ May 2006? Oh so I would have started year 6 that September! Year 5 it was. :tongue: I shall edit.

I'm scared to ask now but how old were you then? :ninja:

I left school that year :colondollar:
Original post by sr90
I left school that year :colondollar:

As in high school or school as a whole?

What made you guys support the clubs you do now? Any other clubs from other countries that are special to you? :smile:

It's fascinating how people come to teams isn't it. For me it was just support the same team as my Father, so growing up I'd watch games on tv with him, and then when I was about 14 he took me to my first match. I never associated my local area with football teams, I was just star struck by the bright lights of Old Trafford. My parents went to uni in Manchester and then lived there for several years after, during that time Dad went to United, Mum went to City at Maine Road, when they moved out of Manchester Dad stuck with it and Mum gave football up, thus that's why I support. Funny how things turn out. My folks moved to Switzerland and the plan was to raise a family there, thus I could have been a Basle fan or something, but no, they moved back to England. Could have been so different. Such is life. You never know how it will go.

Theres a guy at my uni from America, he supports Liverpool because he started dating an English girl who was from and supported Liverpool. 3 months later they broke up, but he insists on sticking with it. I said, that's your get out of Anfield free card mate. :tongue:

Latest