The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Kent Accommodation

Got my offer from Kent a few weeks ago and almost certain it will be my firm, anyone know which accommodation is the best in kent? :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2

Thankyou , I managed to see most of the accommodation on the open day however not all , will have a look at the virtual tours now :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by noura17
Got my offer from Kent a few weeks ago and almost certain it will be my firm, anyone know which accommodation is the best in kent? :tongue:

For the Canterbury campus, personally I think the best is Tyler Court, very modern and the bedrooms are lovely but it is the most expensive :s-smilie:

Parkwood is also quite nice, one of the cheaper options I believe and I know its very social, lots of house parties and the like.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by emilyb_x
For the Canterbury campus, personally I think the best is Tyler Court, very modern and the bedrooms are lovely but it is the most expensive :s-smilie:

Parkwood is also quite nice, one of the cheaper options I believe and I know its very social, lots of house parties and the like.

Hope that helps :smile:

Thankyou! are you also applying there or already there?
Reply 5
Original post by noura17
Thankyou! are you also applying there or already there?

Already here, first year studying Psychology :smile:

I'm living off campus myself, as wasn't offered anything on campus (went through clearing)
I think most of the accommodation is nice, the only bad thing I've heard has been about Darwin, I think some of the places there don't have an oven! :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by emilyb_x
Already here, first year studying Psychology :smile:

I'm living off campus myself, as wasn't offered anything on campus (went through clearing)
I think most of the accommodation is nice, the only bad thing I've heard has been about Darwin, I think some of the places there don't have an oven! :s-smilie:

Oo okay thankyou! , how do you like the university? It's most likely going to be my firm choice, going to try apply for accommodation early to hopefully get the one I want 🙊
Reply 7
Hello, I've applied for Law at Kent.
Which accommodation would be best for me? I want to be on campus and I'd preferably want an en-suite/self-catered room.
Reply 8
Original post by JAHW
Which accommodation would be best for me? I want to be on campus and I'd preferably want an en-suite/self-catered room.

When visiting kent and as far as I've heard from other people Tyler court Is the best for that
Stay away from Elliot Rutherford and Darwin. They are all virtually prisons.

Keynes Self Catered are 100% the nicest, but in honesty not worth the price. Tyler is good, Parkwood flats are really nice and the parkwood houses are quite good too. In terms of balancing value and quality I would pick parkwood flats. Parkwood in general is great for house parties etc, its like a mini-village.

I know lots of people have said Tyler is the best, but in my opinion its def the Keynes Self Catered apartments.

(final year student at Kent)

Regardless Im sure you'll have fun where ever you end up.
Reply 10
Original post by unistudent1993
Stay away from Elliot Rutherford and Darwin. They are all virtually prisons.

Keynes Self Catered are 100% the nicest, but in honesty not worth the price. Tyler is good, Parkwood flats are really nice and the parkwood houses are quite good too. In terms of balancing value and quality I would pick parkwood flats. Parkwood in general is great for house parties etc, its like a mini-village.

I know lots of people have said Tyler is the best, but in my opinion its def the Keynes Self Catered apartments.

(final year student at Kent)

Regardless Im sure you'll have fun where ever you end up.

Ooo thankyou for that :tongue:, so I'm guessing you would recommend kent as a firm choice?
depends what you are looking for and what your course is... its a good balance between academics and social life. Canterbury city is not the best for going out, but theres enough to keep you occupied, plus theres several bars/clubs on campus. Living cost is reasonable, and people are nice. its only an hour to London where home is for me which is a plus. Ive tried to be as unbiased as possible, but yh Ive enjoyed my time here loads!
Reply 12
Original post by unistudent1993
depends what you are looking for and what your course is... its a good balance between academics and social life. Canterbury city is not the best for going out, but theres enough to keep you occupied, plus theres several bars/clubs on campus. Living cost is reasonable, and people are nice. its only an hour to London where home is for me which is a plus. Ive tried to be as unbiased as possible, but yh Ive enjoyed my time here loads!

Thankyou :smile:, Yeah I live near London too, so that fact it's not too far away I think is helpful, and I will be studying international business hopefully, I know they are building a new business school which looked really good and tbh with night life I wasn't looking for anything too crazy just as you said enough to keep me occupied ahah
Reply 13
It depends what you value most! Keynes and Turing are probably the nicest, but I doubt they're worth the price. Tyler Court seems like good value for what it is. It's smack in the middle of campus, so everything on the main campus is at most a five minute walk, at least, literally twenty seconds. The other generally favoured accommodation sites lie within Park Wood, which is like a student village. The houses are the cheapest (I think) and accommodate 4-6 people and have either one or two bathrooms, and the flats, where I live, are pretty much exactly the same as Tyler Court, except in Park Wood. Park Wood is convenient for house parties for obvious reasons (several houses, easy to interact/bump into neighbours), but it is around a ten-fifteen minute walk from main campus, but, on the bright side, it's only a five-seven minute walk from the gym :tongue:
Reply 14
just out of interest, how long did it take you to get an offer? I've appllied for Eng+American Lit with creative writing. It was a last minute choice as a dicovered the course late, so I haven't seen the campus or anything, but the idea of going there is really growing on me :smile:
Original post by Laura57
just out of interest, how long did it take you to get an offer? I've appllied for Eng+American Lit with creative writing. It was a last minute choice as a dicovered the course late, so I haven't seen the campus or anything, but the idea of going there is really growing on me :smile:

I might be an exception, as the Law admissions officer told me that my situation is 'unheard of', I got my offer within five hours of applying. I did apply last year and withdraw due to medical problems (too many to detail). I emailed the Head of Admissions to inform them that I'd be applying to them again.

I got the impression that Turing is the best for those that can afford it (it looked wonderful). I'd previously heard that Tyler Court B+C were the best overall. Parkwood, despite its isolation, was quite a nice locale. Rutherford, Elliot and Darwin looked... erm... Interesting (I'm being polite).

When I get my final offer through (Come on Warwick, you heavily oversubscribed and overapplied university), I'm certain to choose Kent and would love either Turing or Keynes.
Original post by JAHW

Hi, I'm currently studying Law here and I live at Turing (the new accommodation on campus). Most are self-catered, I believe, but if you want an en-suite and to be close to Woolf lecture theatre (where pretty much all your lectures will be), I would suggest Tyler Court, although it may be a bit pricier than other accommodations.

If the en-suite option and a 10 minute walk isn't as big a deal to you, I would definitely go for Turing houses - you only share a bathroom with one other person and the rooms/kitchens are brilliant; it's also more affordable than Tyler Court. Good luck! :smile:
I'm glad i saw this thread! I have a few questions about the accommodation.. if anyone could help? I've applied for english there for 2015 and it is looking like my 1st choice atm!

How does the bed and bistro deal work ? Do you get like a set amount to spend per day in dolche vita?

In Turing Houses how many share per house?

Also how far away is parkwood to central campus? (Im looking at the flats)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hollywooddreamer
I'm glad i saw this thread! I have a few questions about the accommodation.. if anyone could help? I've applied for english there for 2015 and it is looking like my 1st choice atm!

How does the bed and bistro deal work ? Do you get like a set amount to spend per day in dolche vita?

In Turing Houses how many share per house?

Also how far away is parkwood to central campus? (Im looking at the flats)

Posted from TSR Mobile

The package includes an en suite bedroom and weekday breakfasts and dinners in our flagship bistro, Dolche Vita, located in Keynes College.

Unfortunately that's the best I can up with for your first question, so by the sounds of it, food is included in the cost of the accommodation.

Turing houses accommodate nine or twelve bedrooms.

Finally, Parkwood flats are a fourteen minute walk away. (Though it depends how fast/slow you walk/run of course!)

I hope this helps!
Original post by jwhitehead94
Unfortunately that's the best I can up with for your first question, so by the sounds of it, food is included in the cost of the accommodation.

Turing houses accommodate nine or twelve bedrooms.

Finally, Parkwood flats are a fourteen minute walk away. (Though it depends how fast/slow you walk/run of course!)

I hope this helps!

Thankyou! So i presume Turing houses are very similar to ensuite? As i read something like "a bathroom is shared between 2 rooms'

Also out of parkwood ensuite, keynes ensuite amd turing houses what would you reccommend?

Thanks again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending