The Student Room Group

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Had a Practice Practical in Biology

My Practical procedure was Cutting off some cabbage leaf and heat it up with a sucrose solution with an enzyme in.

Why did you need to heat up the solution

Why were some of the cells circular and some rectangular

what would happen if you changed the concentration of sucrose solution

Could You please tell me what Knowledge I was lacking and the correct answers, as I couldn't answer the question
This is because this is the first time where I have no clue as what should I right.
Good It was a practice Practical, not the real Biology Qualatative

Any Help would be appreciated
Original post by Why me
I Had a Practice Practical in Biology

My Practical procedure was Cutting off some cabbage leaf and heat it up with a sucrose solution with an enzyme in.

Why did you need to heat up the solution

Why were some of the cells circular and some rectangular

what would happen if you changed the concentration of sucrose solution

Could You please tell me what Knowledge I was lacking and the correct answers, as I couldn't answer the question
This is because this is the first time where I have no clue as what should I right.
Good It was a practice Practical, not the real Biology Qualatative

Any Help would be appreciated

1. You heat it up because this will increase the energy levels of the enzyme and substrates (sucrose). This will increase the rate of reaction so that perhaps your experiment occurs quicker. More heat is higher rate of reaction.

2. My guess is this: The cells are different sizes because it means they can unifromly structure the cabbage leaf. this means that the cabbage can be made of more cells. this means there is a higher rate of photosynthesis because there are more cells to photosynthesise (Im not sure this is quite relevant though)

3. If you increase - higher rate of reaction since there is lots of substrate but enzyme concentration becomes limiting factor as they are working at their highest rate and there are sucrose molecules still waiting to bind to the enzyme active site.

Hope this helps you , Im guessing you needed help :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by heavyhandscott
1. You heat it up because this will increase the energy levels of the enzyme and substrates (sucrose). This will increase the rate of reaction so that perhaps your experiment occurs quicker. More heat is higher rate of reaction.

2. My guess is this: The cells are different sizes because it means they can unifromly structure the cabbage leaf. this means that the cabbage can be made of more cells. this means there is a higher rate of photosynthesis because there are more cells to photosynthesise (Im not sure this is quite relevant though)

3. If you increase - higher rate of reaction since there is lots of substrate but enzyme concentration becomes limiting factor as they are working at their highest rate and there are sucrose molecules still waiting to bind to the enzyme active site.

Hope this helps you , Im guessing you needed help :smile:

Thank You very Much

Sorry I am actually not quite dumb
so could you explain the question 3 in a more dumber way so that I can understand

Thank You
Original post by Why me
Thank You very Much

Sorry I am actually not quite dumb
so could you explain the question 3 in a more dumber way so that I can understand

Thank You

So change the sucrose soltion would mean:
1. Add more sucrose in the solution - this means there are more sucrose molecules in the liquid it dissolves in
2. reduces the sucrose concentration in the solution - have less molecules dissolved in the liquid

Picture it like an orange cordial drink. If you add more orange juice and make it more concentrated (higher concentration of juice) then there will be more orange juice in the water

If you add less orange juice, there will be a lower concentration of orange juice in the water as you have added less
Reply 4
Original post by heavyhandscott
So change the sucrose soltion would mean:
1. Add more sucrose in the solution - this means there are more sucrose molecules in the liquid it dissolves in
2. reduces the sucrose concentration in the solution - have less molecules dissolved in the liquid

Picture it like an orange cordial drink. If you add more orange juice and make it more concentrated (higher concentration of juice) then there will be more orange juice in the water

If you add less orange juice, there will be a lower concentration of orange juice in the water as you have added less

You seem really clever
did you do Biology AS
If so have you got any tips
Original post by Why me
You seem really clever
did you do Biology AS
If so have you got any tips

Im doing Biology A2 at the moment.

Are you doing AQA?
Reply 6
No I'm doing OCR
Original post by Why me
No I'm doing OCR

Ahh im doing AQA. Advice is to just practise and dont stress. Do as many papers as possible and mark them yourself (this is how I revise).

I am making notes outside class right now but i dont value them much, im doing it more for effort and reference, of course i learn a bit too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending