The Student Room Group

Is "Religious Studies" the same as "Philosophy and Ethics"

I'm choosing my sixth form options and the school I'm applying to only offers RS so I'm guessing they're the same thing? If not, what is the difference. I know they're both counted as hard subjects by Cambridge
They are not the same. RS looks at different religions and their beliefs, and how they tackle difficult topics. Philosophy and Ethics looks at ethical and philosophical questions -- for example, does a man, locked in a room, but doesn't want to leave the room and doesn't know it's locked, still have free will? They are both essay-based and I think the exams are rather long and strenuous, but yes they are counted as 'hard' subjects because of the debate and thinking processes involved.
Reply 2
I did both Philosophy and Ethics as part of Religious Studies A level.
i've been told that they're not the same
Reply 4
Original post by whatacrydonnie
They are not the same. RS looks at different religions and their beliefs, and how they tackle difficult topics. Philosophy and Ethics looks at ethical and philosophical questions -- for example, does a man, locked in a room, but doesn't want to leave the room and doesn't know it's locked, still have free will? They are both essay-based and I think the exams are rather long and strenuous, but yes they are counted as 'hard' subjects because of the debate and thinking processes involved.

Ahh alright thank you
Reply 5
I did Philosophy & Ethics (and students/teachers call it that) but in the official a level certificates it's stated as Religious Studies (and then the two modules are (1) philosophy and (2) ethics). I guess it depends though.
My exam was called Religious Studies, but the lesson was just called Philosophy

We didn't learn about different religions at all, we did philosophy eg arguments for God and ethical theory's at AS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest