The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8200
I'd say global recognition and the fact that we have a larger fanbase swings the argument in our favour seeing as the differences in the number of trophies won between us and Villa is rather small.

Villa are bigger than City though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wilfred Little
Be realistic, generally, their voices are more valid. I don't think it's a coincidence the most clued up/knowledgeable MU fans on here, who know their onions and the unwritten rules that go with following a team, are Ian and StretfordEnd. sr90 as well, but I'm sure he's said he's a Manc, which just strengthens my point.

You think the opinions of lads who contribute nothing and watch on a laptop stream mean more than those who pay the manager's wages and travel to matches to support the team?

No there not more valid. All you are doing is trying to argue those people have the moral high ground. I couldn't give a toss where you are from, it doesn't matter. I will never accept "unwritten rules", there are none in football. You support who you want, for whatever reason you want, and your voice counts towards your team. They are not the most knowledgeable or clued up fans either, they are just a few voices out of many.

The only thing the Stretford End nearly contributed to last season was our demise by continuing to support Moyes. The moment 40,000 MU fans unliked the Facebook page after the Liverpool defeat he should have been gone.

I'll argue for and defend our fans around the world, I hate the idea of only local people supporting United, that's not who we are, nor is it who we want to be. The game has changed since the 1990s, try to understand that. I'm a realist.
Fizzel doesn't live in manchester, ian dangerously knows little about football and talks about passion of being a united fan and his days out while saying how he would beat up liverpool fans or get into beef if he is in rome, stretford end was decent for a new guy but wasn't really this innovative guy.

Wilf you're losing this argument.
Never knew Ebo could debate so well.
Original post by Isometrix

Well he is a Politics student :tongue:
Original post by Isometrix

Original post by sr90
Well he is a Politics student :tongue:

Useful skills learned on my Politics degree: I can have debates about the size of football clubs. :colondollar:
Original post by Eboracum
Useful skills learned on my Politics degree: I can have debates about the size of football clubs. :colondollar:

Are you the 21st centuries Margaret Thatcher Eb?

Posted from TSR Mobile
He does like the Thatchmeister. :tongue:
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
Are you the 21st centuries Margaret Thatcher Eb?

No. :colondollar: Look I didn't agree with everything she did, not by a long shot. Wouldn't want to be an MP tbh, there are others better suited on my course. I just think she was a great politician, one of my favourites. She had balls. And as Kim Jong-Il says in Team America 'I like balls'. Our current crop of government and opposition politicians could use some.

But I also like some on the left so, yeah. :colondollar: Many students I know hate her, so a lot disagree with me. Generally I'm more right wing on foreign policy than domestic.
(edited 9 years ago)
So guys. Need your helpz

Since I'm on this unintentional gap year I thought I may as well make the most out of it. I'm working full time up until new years where I'll revert to part time but essentially earning lots of spending money, as I don't have any bills to pay atm. I really want to go on holiday next year since I haven't left England in like 8 years now. Need some ideas on where to go but I don't really want the typical "beaches and bitches" Spain holiday that almost every brit goes on. I'm more of a cultural person and want to explore but kinda want to make sure that the place is semi tourist friendly since I've never actually travelled this far on my own before. My budget is as much as I want it to be but really I just want it to cap off at max 1k
and as far as hotels go 2 stars is more than ideal?
Reply 8210
No. :colondollar: Look I didn't agree with everything she did, not by a long shot. Wouldn't want to be an MP tbh, there are others better suited on my course. I just think she was a great politician, one of my favourites. She had balls. And as Kim Jong-Il says in Team America 'I like balls'. Our current crop of government and opposition politicians could use some.

But I also like some on the left so, yeah. :colondollar: Many students I know hate her, so a lot disagree with me.

Frankly who cares what most students say. Most have nothing other than spoon-fed opinions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But I also like some on the left so, yeah. :colondollar: Many students I know hate her, so a lot disagree with me.

I can't claim to be knowledgable enough about her to comment, but I admire your enthusiasm. It's refreshing to hear someone of our young age taking a keen interest in our future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
So guys. Need your helpz

Since I'm on this unintentional gap year I thought I may as well make the most out of it. I'm working full time up until new years where I'll revert to part time but essentially earning lots of spending money, as I don't have any bills to pay atm. I really want to go on holiday next year since I haven't left England in like 8 years now. Need some ideas on where to go but I don't really want the typical "beaches and bitches" Spain holiday that almost every brit goes on. I'm more of a cultural person and want to explore but kinda want to make sure that the place is semi tourist friendly since I've never actually travelled this far on my own before. My budget is as much as I want it to be but really I just want it to cap off at max 1k

Not kidding but I've heard the Eastern European tour is good (mean Bulgaria, Croatia etc) and its dirt cheap as well there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8213
Original post by AR_95
So guys. Need your helpz

I know this is obvious
But
Amsterdam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
Frankly who cares what most students say. Most have nothing other than spoon-fed opinions.

Haha. :tongue: I find that particularly my pro-Interventionist, pro-America, pro-NATO, pro-Israel views on foreign policy are somewhat out of place at university :colondollar: Never Mind.

I can't claim to be knowledgable enough about her to comment, but I admire your enthusiasm. It's refreshing to hear someone of our young age taking a keen interest in our future.

I like the fact that at my university a lot of people (including non Political Science students) are interested in our futures, where as my non-university mates at home are not. But. Yes. I don't want to turn this into a debate about Politics, because people don't want to hear about it or hear my views. Just that he called me out and attacked my views so I felt I had to respond. :colondollar:
Reply 8216
Haha. :tongue: I find that particularly my pro-Interventionist, pro-America, pro-NATO, pro-Israel views on foreign policy are somewhat out of place at university :colondollar: Never Mind.

I like the fact that at my university a lot of people (including non Political Science students) are interested in our futures, where as my non-university mates at home are not. But. Yes. I don't want to turn this into a debate about Politics, because people don't want to hear about it or hear my views. Just that he called me out and attacked my views so I felt I had to respond. :colondollar:

I find the lefties tend to resort to ad homs and insults when you make such views clear. Lefties are generally very disrespectful, something I noticed when Margaret Thatcher passed. Never remember hearing a peep when Mr. Benn passed away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
So guys. Need your helpz

This is very interesting. I think travel is the best thing in the world. I'm a firm believer in the idea of "don't buy things, buy experiences" and some of my happiest memories have been abroad. I'm looking into some travel next year when I graduate.

It depends on your tastes really. I'm not into, as you put it "beaches and bitches" either. For me, standing in the Kremlin, or at the Brandenburg Gate thinking of the history that has unfolded is always more refreshing.

What I want to do in Summer is go to Auschwitz in Poland, go around Switzerland (look on google at a place called 'Spiez') and then go around the Scandinavian countries. Perhaps they would be good.

But as a starter, you could perhaps do something like Paris, Berlin, Rome, Vienna. I've been to all four of those and had so much fun, and there is great history. I'm into WW2 and Cold War history, so Berlin is a fantastic place to go. Best of luck.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not kidding but I've heard the Eastern European tour is good (mean Bulgaria, Croatia etc) and its dirt cheap as well there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are some brilliant cities in Eastern Europe. Krakow, Prague, Split, Budapest...
Original post by AR_95
So guys. Need your helpz

Like Icej suggested Croatia and Bulgaria are nice destinations. I would have said South America but that is incredibly far to travel to and like you said you don't want to go a long distance. The main place I would recommend that offers both cultural and touristy experiences would be anything along the lines of:

Roma Italy

Cape Town, South Africa

Athens Greece

Venice Italy

Prague Czech Republic

Province of Naples, Italy

Geneva Switzerland

Ionian Islands Greece

And a personal favourite, the beautiful Amsterdam :h:

Latest