The Student Room Group

The Uni Study Thread Mark IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Slowbro93
HEy everyone :h: How's everyone finding their terms so far?

Helllllooooooo :bigsmile:

And I would have to say mehhhh lol - too much reading and inductions going on! But once it's hands-on, it's going to be great :tongue:
Also a boyfriend to look after :love: and a mathsnerd who entered my life :teehee:
How about you bro? How are the applications going? And sorry about your foot :hugs: Hope you get better soon :h:

Original post by WhamBamJam.
Don't be stuck! Being overwhelmed is a mentality, not reality! You can do it. don't analyse the problems, just form solutions. :smile:

I like how you think lol :tongue:
Original post by MyName??!
Helllllooooooo :bigsmile:

And I would have to say mehhhh lol - too much reading and inductions going on! But once it's hands-on, it's going to be great :tongue:
Also a boyfriend to look after :love: and a mathsnerd who entered my life :teehee:
How about you bro? How are the applications going? And sorry about your foot :hugs: Hope you get better soon :h:

I like how you think lol :tongue:

Hiiiiiiiiii! :ahee:

Are you still enjoying the course though? :h: And yay for the boyfriend :biggrin: Didn't get a chance to say congrats and so glad for you :love:

Yeah, I'm alright, currently watching youtube vids instead of working on PhD apps (one which will be sent to Leeds :ahee: ) Thanks, swelling is still there but I'll live :tongue:

Up to much this weekend?
Original post by Slowbro93
Hiiiiiiiiii! :ahee:

Are you still enjoying the course though? :h: And yay for the boyfriend :biggrin: Didn't get a chance to say congrats and so glad for you :love:

Yeah, I'm alright, currently watching youtube vids instead of working on PhD apps (one which will be sent to Leeds :ahee: ) Thanks, swelling is still there but I'll live :tongue:

Up to much this weekend?

Yep, sure am. Trying to get all these procedures around my head - not much room for trial and error especially when using an expensive instrument

And thank youuuu :hugs:

Haha procrastinating even when you're not a student :teehee:

And oooooh, come to Leeds! You'll love it here! :yep: Got me well excited! :biggrin:

And Im packing up my bags to go visit granddad next tuesday for a month. He isnt too well at the moment :cry2:

How about yours? What are you up to?
Don't be stuck! Being overwhelmed is a mentality, not reality! You can do it. don't analyse the problems, just form solutions. :smile:

Thank you :smile: that's sweetly optimistic! I'm trying to crack on, trying to organise my thoughts and outline for what seems like the thousandth time. Just doing a bit of reading in hope that will help somewhat!
Massively productive day today yusssss. Love the feeling when you solved loads of problems from all 4 of your modules :suith:

Means a more relaxing weekend since the boyfriend is coming down :woo:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got a 2:1 in my lab report, I should be happy but I'm slightly disappointed.. Ahwell :smile:
Would you mind telling me how you asked him? :smile: I want to do the same.. is a casual enquiry ok? Like hiii please let me work with you :wink: without the wink I suppose. Also is it funded?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just literally said:

"I'm currently a second year maths student on the MMath course and I'm interested in applied maths. Do you have any summer research projects based about your research interests I could work on?"

I didn't know funded ones existed - you might be able to do one though, I'm not sure! sorry!
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
You know you can sit the bar in New York with an LLB and I think you can also practice (I meant sit the bar) in one of the New England states, North Carolina I think and California and maybe another states with an LLM. It may be cheaper or easier.

OMG I know. I hated contract law and property was the same. Criminal law isn't where the big bucks are though so a lot of people I know are finally discovering their ruthless passion for commercial law now that we're so close to graduation lmao.

I actually thought about the bar but it looks so pretentious and I can't take myself that seriously. Honestly though, court looks boring.

Actually, law doesn't open up a lot of doors. I don't know where that comes from. It looks impressive on paper but really, I find there are many other degrees that may be better such as sciences, languages ...

Yes you're correct. I can sit the bar, but practice in New York would be tough.. law firms would prefer me to have a JD. And I want to go to law school there to familiarise myself with the American system too, because it's very different in some areas.

Lol that's true. But I just can't see myself pouring through contracts and the likes.. its just so dull.. I've tried to make myself like it.. but i just can't. The money is in commercial true, but it's also highly competitive.

The bar does come across as pretentious.. i thought it was just me. I've met a lot of egotistical and 'high horse' barristers, very annoying.

Business, accounting(with further qualification), consulting, recruitment, human resources, teaching, research.. The list goes on. I see what you mean though.. In terms of some careers you would require further study and qualifications. With the sciences you're restricted to the sciences depending on the course unless you get further qualifications to cross over to something else. Are you interested in the sciences? Languages.. are good.. but you can still learn one, become fluent and use that to improve your job opportunities. I'm trying to learn Spanish, because I like the language.
Original post by alis-volatpropriis
Yes you're correct. I can sit the bar, but practice in New York would be tough.. law firms would prefer me to have a JD. And I want to go to law school there to familiarise myself with the American system too, because it's very different in some areas.

Lol that's true. But I just can't see myself pouring through contracts and the likes.. its just so dull.. I've tried to make myself like it.. but i just can't. The money is in commercial true, but it's also highly competitive.

The bar does come across as pretentious.. i thought it was just me. I've met a lot of egotistical and 'high horse' barristers, very annoying.

Business, accounting(with further qualification), consulting, recruitment, human resources, teaching, research.. The list goes on. I see what you mean though.. In terms of some careers you would require further study and qualifications. With the sciences you're restricted to the sciences depending on the course unless you get further qualifications to cross over to something else. Are you interested in the sciences? Languages.. are good.. but you can still learn one, become fluent and use that to improve your job opportunities. I'm trying to learn Spanish, because I like the language.

I know. Law firms in New York won't just ask for the JD but they'll also ask for multiple internships and you'd get paid enough money to live in a trash can behind a Chinese takeaway and still have no money left over at the end of the month. lol jk I don't know what the money is like but the environment of law firms in america is much more brutal than here.

I think solicitors can be pretentious too but it seems to be mostly barristers.

That's true but people talk about law as if it's the only degree that'll open doors but frankly, there are many other degrees that'll do the same. I like the sciences, and languages. I only chose law because well, wrong a levels and I had no idea what to do with my life. :colondollar: still don't
meant to be getting first marks back next week :redface:

also have another meeting with the lecturer who is giving me a summer project :biggrin: just more about the project, a paper to read for it etc. Happy days!

but I'm knackered! :yawn:
Original post by rayquaza17
I just literally said:

"I'm currently a second year maths student on the MMath course and I'm interested in applied maths. Do you have any summer research projects based about your research interests I could work on?"

I didn't know funded ones existed - you might be able to do one though, I'm not sure! sorry!

Ok cool thanks! I will shoot out some emails tomorrow! :smile:

Well see we've been told about funded ones at uni, where basically the lecturer makes an application to a society for a project, on behalf of the student. But I feel kinda bad cause they have to make the application. :colondollar: I know that's probably a silly way to think.
Trying to diet but I just can't resist food. Every time I have a deadline or anything it's just an excuse to pig out on ~comfort food~ but with the Christmas Ball fast approaching I would quite like to actually fit in my dress ! :rolleyes:

Hope everyone here is doing ok :smile:
Original post by venuswaltz
Trying to diet but I just can't resist food. Every time I have a deadline or anything it's just an excuse to pig out on ~comfort food~ but with the Christmas Ball fast approaching I would quite like to actually fit in my dress ! :rolleyes:

Hope everyone here is doing ok :smile:

Try to change what you're pigging out on :smile: I noticed that my boyfriend and I like to snack a lot but we were eating quite poorly, so we bought loads of carrots and I chopped 2 each for us into sticks. They're great to snack on because they're crunchy and it feels like you have loads. They also have water in them so they're good to keep you a little bit more hydrated.
taking a day off uni- so exhausted and have been killing myself this semester...going in for drs appt in a few hours though
Uggh had a test this morning for probability. It was better than the last one, but we got an email afterwards saying one of the questions was wrong so it might not be counted!

And got my test result back from last week. It said online I got 50/60 but the paper itself had 56/60 written on and the 6 looked like a 0! So I've given it back to the lecturer to change for me. So I got 93% which I am over the moon with!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have spent the whole day talking and reading about child sexual abuse victims. Our tutor told us a particularly horrible story.

And now I feel like crap. This degree is just so depressing.
Trying to plan my essay but it has a lot of biology in it, and biology sends my brain to mush. :cry2:
Original post by Psyc_Girl
Trying to plan my essay but it has a lot of biology in it, and biology sends my brain to mush. :cry2:

Biology in an essay sounds awful.
Matlab is the bain of my existence, as if the first coursework wasn't hard enough I've now got the next one which is twice as long and no doubt twice as hard!!
Original post by MathsNerd1
Matlab is the bain of my existence, as if the first coursework wasn't hard enough I've now got the next one which is twice as long and no doubt twice as hard!!

I've got a Matlab project due in two weeks time about chaos theory! Inbox is open if you are totally stuck and need any help (although no promises I can help, but I'll try!) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest