The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Got an AAA offer from Queen Mary: 4 down and 1 to go!
Original post by Anaarutyunyan
I had offers from York Manchester and an unconditional from Lancaster:smile: And I'm waiting for oxford and Warwick:smile: they seemed good choices until like nobody on here applied for the 3 of mine so I'm not sure anymore whether they're good for econ?

Nah York and Manchester are good and an unconditional must be a relief
I liked the look of York but if already applied to 4 unis asking for an A* so I wasn't keen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Let's say a typical offer is a*aa-aaa when do they give the lower offer? What does it depend on?
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Nah York and Manchester are good and an unconditional must be a relief
I liked the look of York but if already applied to 4 unis asking for an A* so I wasn't keen

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I guess so, they will probably be my only offers considering others have way better grades than me! and York are AAA, they only give out A*AA if you're resitting :smile:
Yeah I guess so, they will probably be my only offers considering others have way better grades than me! and York are AAA, they only give out A*AA if you're resitting :smile:

You have answered my question with this reply haha :biggrin: I just had a mini panic that I had applied to 4 a*aa unis and so I was freaking out lol but if York is aaa then I can hopefully put that as my insurance if I get an offer from there and warwick-hopefully my firm!!!!

Ooh I never realised that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by doublecc123
You have answered my question with this reply haha :biggrin: I just had a mini panic that I had applied to 4 a*aa unis and so I was freaking out lol but if York is aaa then I can hopefully put that as my insurance if I get an offer from there and warwick-hopefully my firm!!!!

Well that's what they gave me and I emailed them about it before too:smile: I'm replying on Warwick, but if not York will have to be my first choice!
Well that's what they gave me and I emailed them about it before too:smile: I'm rneplying on Warwick, but if not York will have to be my first choice!

Where else have you applied and what are your predicted grades for your A2 subjects? Oooh and also, where have you got offers from so far? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Where else have you applied and what are your predicted grades for your A2 subjects?

Offer from York Manchester and an unconditional from Lancaster, and applied to Warwick and oxford too. 3A* and an A in as further maths. How about you?
Where else have you applied and what are your predicted grades for your A2 subjects? Oooh and also, where have you got offers from so far? :smile:

Oops meant relying*
Oops meant relying*

My application was sent off last Monday and I've got an offer from UEA - they said unconditional if I make them my firm and that's it so far :biggrin: my predicted grades are A*AAA and I've applied to Warwick, Bath, Nottingham and York
My application was sent off last Monday and I've got an offer from UEA - they said unconditional if I make them my firm and that's it so far :biggrin: my predicted grades are A*AAA and I've applied to Warwick, Bath, Nottingham and York

Congrats :smile: so many people have applied to Warwick :redface:
Congrats :smile: so many people have applied to Warwick :redface:

Thanks and congrats to you too!! 3 offers out of 5 and one being unconditional is pretty amazing! Haha :biggrin: and I know right!! Hopefully we'll get offers though
Thanks and congrats to you too!! 3 offers out of 5 and one being unconditional is pretty amazing! Haha :biggrin: and I know right!! Hopefully we'll get offers though

Thanks :biggrin: but my unis are low compared to most econ applicants on this thread! Hopefully :smile:
Original post by questioning123
Hi guys,
I got 3A*s, 3,As 3 Bs and a C at GCSE (with extenuating circumstances-social services were involved etc so I'm sure I'll apply with extenuating circumstances next year)
I'm currently taking maths, economics, english lit and geography and wanted to study economics at uni, but what are the chances with my GCSE grades?
I know a lot of people on TSR stress over grades when they get 10+ A*s but I wanted genuine feedback please as mine aren't really incredible.
Also are AS grades weighted more than GCSEs? Will a strong performance at AS increase my chances?

What are your stats and where do you guys currently hold offers from?

Thanks!

Most good unis want grade A or above in maths gcse but some don't really have that requirement. If you go onto ucas search and have a look at entry requirements, that might help. Also, it depends on the uni I guess because some have a typical offer of BBB or even below that and the better unis want AAA
Got UCL and LSE so far, expecting an oxford rejection in the coming days but who cares lol?!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1796
Original post by questioning123
Hi guys,
I got 3A*s, 3,As 3 Bs and a C at GCSE (with extenuating circumstances-social services were involved etc so I'm sure I'll apply with extenuating circumstances next year)
I'm currently taking maths, economics, english lit and geography and wanted to study economics at uni, but what are the chances with my GCSE grades?
I know a lot of people on TSR stress over grades when they get 10+ A*s but I wanted genuine feedback please as mine aren't really incredible.
Also are AS grades weighted more than GCSEs? Will a strong performance at AS increase my chances?

What are your stats and where do you guys currently hold offers from?

Thanks!

if you have genuine extenuating circumstances then gcses don't matter whatsoever

if no extenuating circumstances they only really matter for oxbridge lse in which case you'd need minimum of 5-8a*s
Original post by EHZ17
I guess they know how you did in AS FM though whereas mine is speculative? :/

Maybe, but your situation shows initiative whereas mine shows the opposite. One thing I do know: PS>>grades/UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by groovyd97
Maybe, but your situation shows initiative whereas mine shows the opposite. One thing I do know: PS>>grades/UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure?I've spent a lot of time writing my PS.Whoever read it said it was quite compelling!
Economics and Management Interview at Balliol College, Oxford:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Still anxiously waiting on UCL and LSE. I dont think UCL will get back to me until next year as I have applied for both their straight economics course and year abroad course! Expecting a rejection from LSE (but still a little hopeful) as I dont do FM and have no intention on doing this year if they dont ask me to

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending