The Student Room Group

What do you think is a good salary and why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by Foo.mp3
For a graduate (of a sensible subject, min 2:1), working full time: £40K+ in London/SE area, discounted by up to £10K the further into the 'periphery' you get

If we replace the word 'good' with reasonable,* then lower the top figure by £10K

Posted from TSR Mobile

What 'good' job can you get in Northumbia/Cumbia?
Reply 241
Original post by Foo.mp3
****ed if I know, sorry bud :redface:

Your £30k for the provences is about £5k too high.
Reply 242
Original post by Foo.mp3
Possibly right - a quick google suggests £20-25k is a reasonable expectation, but then it depends how you interpret the term 'good' e.g. towards the top end (£25k+) vs. top dollar (£30k+?)

Not sure where you'd get 'top dollar' outside major cities - and even then I'm not sure where you'd get £30k in Manchester/Liverpool/Newcastle.

£27-29k sure, but strting with a 3 doesn't seem feabile outside of the few positions in ALDI's regional manager scheme....
Original post by Quady

Went to Cumbria once. Heard it was has the lowest salary in UK

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Blade
I just wanna beat my dad but it will be hard.

You seem to be ambitious. A trait of character which I appreciate. May I know your reason?
Original post by Quady

Oil & gas jobs, according to my inbox. And also nuclear jobs too.
We need more parameters to answer this question properly because a good wage for a 22 year old living with parents is totally different from a good wage for a 30 year old living alone.

It gets more complicated because a good wage for a 22 year old living with parents in Rugby is totally different from a 22 year old living with parents in London.
Reply 247
Original post by Smack
Oil & gas jobs, according to my inbox. And also nuclear jobs too.

Cool, could you post a link to a couple, I hadn't seen any jobs for new grads starting on over £30k around.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Quady
Cool, could you post a link to a couple, I hadn't seen any jobs for new grads starting on over £30k around.

Thanks in advance.

I wasn't referring to graduate jobs.
Original post by Kallisto
You seem to be ambitious. A trait of character which I appreciate. May I know your reason?

I just wish to live the class life
, minimising as much financial struggles for me and my future family

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just wish to live the class life
, minimising as much financial struggles for me and my future family

Class life in the sense of glamour? I have no idea what you are talking about.
Original post by Kallisto
Class life in the sense of glamour? I have no idea what you are talking about.

As in a luxury house and every thing just class

Posted from TSR Mobile
As in a luxury house and every thing just class

That is definitely not my business. It seems so artifical, just smoke and mirror.
Reply 253
Original post by Smack
I wasn't referring to graduate jobs.

Not really a relevant contribution then...

The heads of the council earn way more, experienced doctors and accountants, head teachers and the MPs...

I was quoting someone who said about graduate jobs though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thoughtworks starts on 32k in Manchester for graduates. That's entry level graduate software dev.
anyones opinion changed?
Original post by scrawlx101
anyones opinion changed?

Unlikely in such a short timeframe.
£21,000 is enough of a salary for me to be able live a stable life with my family if I ever get one (a wife and no more than 2 kids)!! I fear I might not actually reach that salary :frown:!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Raymat
£21,000 is enough of a salary for me to be able live a stable life with my family if I marry (a wife and 2 kids). I fear I might not actually reach that salary :frown:!!

On the plus side, if you don't reach that salary, you'll never have to repay your student loan
Original post by binarythoughts
On the plus side, if you don't reach that salary, you'll never have to repay your student loan

but on the bad side- i think it would be hard to be a house in london or anywhere with that amount of money? kinda gonna be hard to treat yourself too not even taking into account rent too...

Quick Reply