The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IceJJFish(II)
So now when a man dies and people show respect its apparently not understanding how he divided a football club. All this comes in the light of Phil Hughes passing away, some things are more important than sport.

I just can't believe what has happened with Phil Hughes. He was 25. It was one in ten million. Australians are so great, it's a great nation, a cricket mad nation, he was a young lad living out his dreams. I shed a tear tbh. RIP.

I feel really sorry for Sean Abbott, the guy who bowled as well. It was an accident but you'd never forgive yourself.
Original post by Eboracum
I just can't believe what has happened with Phil Hughes. He was 25. It was one in ten million. Australians are so great, it's a great nation, a cricket mad nation, he was a young lad living out his dreams. I shed a tear tbh. RIP.

I feel really sorry for Sean Abbott, the guy who bowled as well. It was an accident but you'd never forgive yourself.

Same for me Eb, I was very upset waking up to the news, it sent shivers down me to be honest.

I can't see him recovering if I'm honest. Can't imagine what the lad is going through, he was good friends with Phil as well. Must be so tough. My thoughts are with both families, just a tragic situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8302
Still shocked by the death.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same for me Eb, I was very upset waking up to the news, it sent shivers down me to be honest.

I can't see him recovering if I'm honest. Can't imagine what the lad is going through, he was good friends with Phil as well. Must be so tough. My thoughts are with both families, just a tragic situation.

I was reading the reaction earlier whilst trying to do my dissertation and I just couldn't concentrate, it's so sad.

I hope Sean Abbott can battle through and carry on. Will take unbelievable resolve and determination to get through it.

It's just a reminder how short life is, you've got to make the most of it man.

Australia loves cricket. I was in Brisbane when the test match was going on at the Gabba last year, the whole city just gripped by it. It's a massive loss for everyone in the Commonwealth down under.
Original post by Fizzel
LOL!

It is good though.

Is it overpriced as hell?

Tbh I find the best value for money place in terms of being qualitative and quantitative that's not the asian chicken and chips shop to be burger king. Get big tasty burgers for a decent price and I'm always full from a large meal, can't say the same for McDs.
Terrible tragedy, but I don't see how it is different to any sudden sporting death? Many times in football footballers have dropped down and died on the pitch. People die all of the time.
Original post by jam277
Everyone has been talking about Five Guys recently.

If it's american size then that means that I can actually eat food at a shop at a reasonable price and stay full. :smile:

Wen't just recently to the one in Angel. It's restaurant price but feels fast food-esque. Good fast food mind you, would go again for sure. Was worth it just for their drinks selection and the huge bowl of chips I unexpectedly got. Burger was nice, a little on the pricey side but it tasted great.

Original post by jam277

Tbh I find the best value for money place in terms of being qualitative and quantitative that's not the asian chicken and chips shop to be burger king. Get big tasty burgers for a decent price and I'm always full from a large meal, can't say the same for McDs.

I agree generally, but I will happily role into McDs and devour 3-4 double cheeseburgers and a coke.
(edited 9 years ago)
I was reading the reaction earlier whilst trying to do my dissertation and I just couldn't concentrate, it's so sad.

I hope Sean Abbott can battle through and carry on. Will take unbelievable resolve and determination to get through it.

It's just a reminder how short life is, you've got to make the most of it man.

Australia loves cricket. I was in Brisbane when the test match was going on at the Gabba last year, the whole city just gripped by it. It's a massive loss for everyone in the Commonwealth down under.

Can imagine, from a cricket mad nation myself and a mild cricket fan myself and it's just a shock, a young man with so much promise. Nobody should die doing what they love :frown:

Agree. I know i couldn't, he was on his way to the top as well but when he runs in to bowl now his mind will be full of images of Phil slumping to the floor. Would he dare bowl a bouncer again? Unbelievable and devastated is an understatement man :frown:
Original post by Tom_Ford
Terrible tragedy, but I don't see how it is different to any sudden sporting death? Many times in football footballers have dropped down and died on the pitch. People die all of the time.

I think the difference this time is someone has died with a direct correlation to the sport (as in the ball has hit him, it's not like Foe cardiac arrest etc.), and someone is directly 'responsible' for the death.
Can imagine, from a cricket mad nation myself and a mild cricket fan myself and it's just a shock, a young man with so much promise. Nobody should die doing what they love :frown:

Agree. I know i couldn't, he was on his way to the top as well but when he runs in to bowl now his mind will be full of images of Phil slumping to the floor. Would he dare bowl a bouncer again? Unbelievable and devastated is an understatement man :frown:

I know man. Sean Abbott will just be waking up now. You try to put yourself in the mindset of those who it's affected, but it's impossible.

Some folks were saying he might not play again. Just hope all the families involved can get through it. Australia has been through tragedies before and I am confident they can get through this, but it will be very hard.
I know man. Sean Abbott will just be waking up now. You try to put yourself in the mindset of those who it's affected, but it's impossible.

Some folks were saying he might not play again. Just hope all the families involved can get through it. Australia has been through tragedies before and I am confident they can get through this, but it will be very hard.

Shows the power of the cricketing community though, everyone has united around Phil's family and Sean equally. Puts sport into perspective doesn't it?
Shows the power of the cricketing community though, everyone has united around Phil's family and Sean equally. Puts sport into perspective doesn't it?

Puts everything into perspective really. I thought I had problems with university deadlines and career applications then I read about this.
Original post by jam277

It's incredibly overpriced, almost as if they've kept the American prices and just changed $ to £.
Puts everything into perspective really. I thought I had problems with university deadlines and career applications then I read about this.

Same with me man, today I doubled my work output- realised there's bigger problems than Academia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam277
Overpriced has reference to quality. I'd say its simple not a cheap eat.

I went last week with fam, 3 burgers, 3 drinks and 2 fries, £30. Nearly wrote £30m there, in FF mode. But yeah, its not a cheap meal.

Quality is good though. Actual bun, not that weird sponge **** you get at McD/BK. Proper mince burger beautiful fat content too. Fresh veggies, like you would prepare at home. The ones I've been too have open kitchens too, which is always reassuring. Free peanuts, bonus. Also stupid number of drinks to choose from, a selection that boggles the mind, random flavours of Fanta and such.
Original post by Tom_Ford

I think it is also due to the rear freak nature of the incident, IIRC the same injury has only ever happened once in cricket ever and since the introduction of better helmets from the 1980s onwards, the less injuries have occured on the head, not knocks though. While in football, heart attacks are a little more common unfortunately and there have been multiple examples of this in the past.

I feel awful for Sean Abbott though, I seen him play a few times and has looked like a really decent bowler and I think the psychological scarring of causing a death could effectively lead to him not playing again.
Sad news about the dearly departed Phillip Hughes. I don't know about cricket at all but I saw the news on SSN yesterday I think it was, that a batsman had been struck on the head/neck area and had to be taken to hospital. Didn't think much of it, thought it was just one of those things. How devastating.
Ok folks, debate of the day, which is better: Star Wars, Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings?
Harry pothead Fo sho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
Harry pothead Fo sho

I wouldn't like to rank them, because that would mean putting one at the bottom, but Star Wars is best for me. The original trilogy alone trumps anything else.

I felt Potter faded. First one was incredible, I can pretty much recite the whole film. By the 4th I lost a bit of interest.

Latest