The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AR_95
I wouldn't really rank the 3 either but I grew up with Harry Potter where as I was too young to fully understand LOTR at the time. Star wars is good but tbh I only enjoyed the original 3, not the recent 3 made.

Rewatch LOTR. Also if you included the Hobbit there, that would be my favourite fairly easily.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
I wouldn't really rank the 3 either but I grew up with Harry Potter where as I was too young to fully understand LOTR at the time. Star wars is good but tbh I only enjoyed the original 3, not the recent 3 made.

I've never seen Star Wars, am I missing anything?

Only got around to watching the Harry Potter films last summer.
Original post by sr90

They're pretty good. Not really the best movies ever made but if you're into sci fi then it's definitely worth a watch. If you do end up watching it though then watch the recent 3 first as they're the prequel to the original 3 which are technically chapters 4, 5 and 6 :tongue:

Original post by IceJJFish(II)
Rewatch LOTR. Also if you included the Hobbit there, that would be my favourite fairly easily.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still yet to watch Hobbit
Original post by sr90

If you like it you'l love it, if you don't you'll most likely despise it (essentially it's like Marmite).

Anyone that hasn't seen Hobbits though would strongly recommend. Awesome movies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same here. Will jam to Taylor Swift, Sam Smith and One Direction, don't care what people think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lawson > rest.

Honourable mention:

"Why you gotta be so rude? Don't you know I'm human toooo? Marry that girl marry her anywayyyy!" :biggrin:

Be good , be happy.
Nearly 3 years actually, they've recently made it mainstream though yeah.

I really despise bands as a concept anyway (personal taste), seems like a bunch of mugs wasting away their days playing ****ty music. Even more so do I hate Gary ****ing Barlow and take that, really want to punch the guy.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup meant them. Also add in heavy metal ****s trashing hotel rooms and causing ear deficiencies.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Just no. That is some awful music. Best band of 2000's for UK is Rixton.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Wilfred Little
I haven't heard The Libertines albums but if they're better than the first two Arctic Monkeys albums they must be superb.

Artic Monkeys I would probably say is one of the best bands to come from the UK. Come on man, Rixton are way too recent to be considered the best of the 2000's and aren't they pop anyway.

That's quite a strong stereotype to hold over "bands" in general though. Agree that I generally hate your typical indie hipster teen that thinks he's special because he listens to the doors but the stereotype doesn't really hold true. Also a lot of heavy metal is more than just "trashing hotel rooms" and causing ear deficiency's. There are some god awful artists which just sound like noise but the same can be said about Grime, hip hop, RnB or any style.

You tell me, is this ****ing music?

[video="youtube;g9N3HGIhYJA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9N3HGIhYJA[/video]

People will listen to anything these days man.
Anyone here into Biffy Clyro?

[video="youtube;M-Xnh161mug"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-Xnh161mug[/video]
Anyone been to the Koko in camden? What's it like? I've only been to Wembley Arena so far which is pretty good but some smaller bands I listen to are playing at smaller venues. Had a friend who recommended that I go to smaller venues because of a better atmosphere, and better sound?
Old friend from school has bagged himself a worldy, they're living together. He has a very deformed hand. Respect where it is due.
Original post by AR_95
Artic Monkeys I would probably say is one of the best bands to come from the UK. Come on man, Rixton are way too recent to be considered the best of the 2000's and aren't they pop anyway.

That's quite a strong stereotype to hold over "bands" in general though. Agree that I generally hate your typical indie hipster teen that thinks he's special because he listens to the doors but the stereotype doesn't really hold true. Also a lot of heavy metal is more than just "trashing hotel rooms" and causing ear deficiency's. There are some god awful artists which just sound like noise but the same can be said about Grime, hip hop, RnB or any style.

You tell me, is this ****ing music?

[video="youtube;g9N3HGIhYJA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9N3HGIhYJA[/video]

People will listen to anything these days man.

Firstly let's clarify I said its my opinion, just as you hold yours.

I have never liked rock music and what it stands for. I see it as music of the devil, an evil unto the world that has brought nothing but weird people and death lovers. You could argue the same about rap I suppose but these things always existed on a wide scale.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why is it the music of the devil? Too broad a genre to claim stuff like that.

Are you religious?
Why is it the music of the devil? Too broad a genre to claim stuff like that.

Are you religious?

Please quote me or I miss your posts.

How do you mean? I don't think that's got much to do with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Firstly let's clarify I said its my opinion, just as you hold yours.

I have never liked rock music and what it stands for. I see it as music of the devil, an evil unto the world that has brought nothing but weird people and death lovers. You could argue the same about rap I suppose but these things always existed on a wide scale.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd put money down that there is probably just as much, if not more RnB/Hip hop songs which promote sin as there is in rock/metal.

Also why state "it's your opinion". That's stating the obvious and all I was doing by responding to you is voicing mine?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
I'd put money down that there is probably just as much, if not more RnB/Hip hop songs which promote sin as there is in rock/metal.

Also why state "it's your opinion". That's stating the obvious and I never said you weren't allowed to voice it :tongue:

Yeah came across as I was having a go at you, was gonna edit but forgot lel. Meant to say obviously my opinion isn't the only one and I'm saying that's how I view these genres as opposed to me saying that's what they explicitly are, and that you disagreeing is fair enough.

I agree but I didn't mean sin. Of course hip hop has done a lot of bad to the world, all music has and it doesn't really contribute anything but that's another debate. It's just there's no positive from Rock I can take, it doesn't sound pleasing to me or like music should.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please quote me or I miss your posts.

How do you mean? I don't think that's got much to do with it.

Why do you think it's the music of the devil? What makes it that? Using words like evil and devil suggests a religious undertone.

It's a very strange opinion to be honest. Like really strange. Where did you get this idea from?
Yeah came across as I was having a go at you, was gonna edit but forgot lel. Meant to say obviously my opinion isn't the only one and I'm saying that's how I view these genres as opposed to me saying that's what they explicitly are, and that you disagreeing is fair enough.

I agree but I didn't mean sin. Of course hip hop has done a lot of bad to the world, all music has and it doesn't really contribute anything but that's another debate. It's just there's no positive from Rock I can take, it doesn't sound pleasing to me or like music should.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it doesn't sound pleasing to you then that's fair enough. Rock music is mostly light and I don't think that's what you're talking about (e.g bands like Red hot chilli peppers or say Green day etc) but I know where you're coming from. Most people have painted this image in their minds that almost all heavy/black or whatever metal is about devil worshipping, sin or just hate in general. I'd say that's completely false however. A lot of the most popular metal bands are anti-war/government and generally write about suffering or what's wrong with the world too. I get that the style is off putting and harder to listen to for most people, but when you sit down and explore the genre then you'll realise that it has a lot more meaning to it then people think. I'm not going to deny that there aren't any satanic elements to some metal artists/songs but like you've mentioned, the same could be said about RnB/Hip hop and other genres.

Here's an album cover from one of the biggest metal bands in history. It looks pretty extreme at first, but read the caption and have a think.
(edited 9 years ago)
Why do you think it's the music of the devil? What makes it that? Using words like evil and devil suggests a religious undertone.

It's a very strange opinion to be honest. Like really strange. Where did you get this idea from?

It's not that strange :confused: it's always been associated with the devil.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
If it doesn't sound pleasing to you then that's fair enough. Rock music is mostly light and I don't think that's what you're talking about (e.g bands like Red hot chilli peppers or say Green day etc) but I know where you're coming from. Most people have painted this image in their minds that almost all heavy/black or whatever metal is about devil worshipping, sin or just hate in general. I'd say that's completely false however. A lot of the most popular metal bands are anti-war/government and generally write about suffering or what's wrong with the world too. I get that the style is off putting and harder to listen to for most people, but when you sit down and explore the genre then you'll realise that it has a lot more meaning to it then people think. I'm not going to deny that there aren't any satanic elements to some metal artists/songs but like you've mentioned, the same could be said about RnB/Hip hop and other genres.

Here's an album cover from one of the biggest metal bands in history. It looks pretty extreme at first, but read the caption and have a think.

Yeah it's all opinion based. Fair enough if you like them though, music is all about opinion which is what makes it good. I know you like both which is cool, personally though I can't bear it.

Don't get the album cover btw. Also agree that hip hop is declining, I partially blame over sexualisation and partly DJ mustard for using same ****ing beat on every song.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Good post AR. Yeah metal is probably the genre people are most ignorant about. Along with maybe Hip Hop.

No way Black Sabbath's 'Changes' or 'Wizard' fit the preconceptions people have of Heavy Metal.
Original post by AR_95
Anyone been to the Koko in camden? What's it like? I've only been to Wembley Arena so far which is pretty good but some smaller bands I listen to are playing at smaller venues. Had a friend who recommended that I go to smaller venues because of a better atmosphere, and better sound?

Loads of times, used to live a few streets down. It depends what's on really but it's a pretty classy and intimate venue, obviously very indie etc so turn up in your skinny jeans, leather jacket and that. I dont think the acoustics are anything special though, it's not all that modern inside. Their smoking area is pretty epic, arch that overlooks Camden high street.

Camden Head next door is a fantastic pre gig venue and obviously Camden will be boozing until well past 4am after so usually a good night.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest