The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5960
Original post by jam277
Sterlings finishing is atrocious there's no power and the placement of his shots are terrible.

He's still a good player but was completely overhyped last season when the success was clearly down to two players. Gerrard, Henderson and Sterling get hyped up by the media along with SAS because they're nationalist and want the England players to look good, same with John Flanagan.

I like Flanagan :sad: I like Clyne more though. Disgrace it took them so long to call him up for England.

Original post by jam277
Sterlings is as good as Hazard. I loled at that hard.

Di Maria is a far better comparison with Hazard. Former works harder, latter is arguably naturally more talented.
Tbh I don't get why people say Hazard doesn't work hard.

Original post by samba
I like Flanagan :sad: I like Clyne more though. Disgrace it took them so long to call him up for England.

Di Maria is a far better comparison with Hazard. Former works harder, latter is arguably naturally more talented.

Flanagan is ok. Decent defensively at LB last season as he didn't have as much instructions to go forward.

Hazard generally works his ass off and bar for one mistake he made against Atlético Madrid people wouldn't really say he doesn't track back much. When we need him working he will work his ass off. Ronaldo e.g. works his ass off but doesn't offer much defensively.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5962
Original post by sr90
Fixed that for you. I remember Cleverley being compared to Fabregas ffs.

Don't forget Scholes and Zidane.
Original post by dada55
Well I know that stats aren't everything and final result is all that matters but if you look at the stats for yesterday's game, it show that Liverpool didn't really do much all game. They should have tried harder to score a 3rd in my opinion. Obviously with the score in Basel, its somewhat makes sense to reduce risk as a draw is almost as a good as win in this scenario but given the opponent, I think its just silly.Liverpool does look dangerous when the game goes their way but it hardly ever does this season.
There is obviously the pressure of expectation when playing against weaker teams and I guess what makes Ludogorets slightly different is that the team plays well together rather than individual talent. Having watched many of their games, sometimes the passing is pretty much amazing but very often there are stupid mistakes which makes their game very inconsistent and leads to goal gifts.

It is nearing Christmas after all, maybe they are in a good spirits... :biggrin:

Rodgers wanted to have a more defensive approach to this game so I see why we didn't go for the third, Gerrard and Lambert were knackered and Sterling was struggling and had a knock so he went defensive. It doesn't matter really as we always concede. We attack and we concede, we sit back and defend and we still concede. Defence is an absolute joke.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mackay
Sterling is obviously not reaching the heights of last season, but his ball to Henderson last night was a reminder of what he can do.

He IS still young - and nowhere near the heights people were spouting about him earlier this summer - but he needs to be kept from fatigue. Walcott is so injury prone, and we can't afford Sterling to become that. He's still so young and he's a vital player for us - too vital, I'd suggest. He plays every single game for us and it'll be his undoing.

He really isn't. He got a terrible injury last season from a tackle vs Spurs, but that can happen to any player. Prior to that he was very rarely injured and had played 40+ games on average in his prior 3 seasons(before that wasnt 1st team). Maybe he'll be injury prone now of course, but we'll have to wait and see.

Sterling is better now than Walcott was at the same age, although Walcott later developed a very strong goal-scoring ability(esp in big games) and it remains to be seen if Sterling will produce the same raw stats, even if he has more talent. Walcott took a long time to get to the point of being a consistent scorer/provider though, very few young players are consistent like that.

But Sterling is having a poor season though, AOC has probably overtaken him tbh.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by samba

Sanchez=Di Maria and Hazard in one player. Like Hovis best of both that boy. :tongue:
Reply 5966
Original post by baconbutty
No he's the best young player in the world and will hit 20+ goals this season.

Who was it that said he was on par with hazard

Best teenager was the claim wasn't it, which isn't too bad whereas 'young player' would include Hazard, Gotze, Neymar etc.
I have no sympothy for Liverpool and their fans this season. As a Chelsea fan the stick we got for Jose coming in and making us a solid unit firstly, then this year kicking on and adding the attacking balance was a joke. All those fans banging on about LFC playing the right way and boring Chelsea parking the bus. Looks like you need a few lessons in bus parking from the master tactician in the game. Who's laughing now you're just above a relegation battle and facing the Europa League already??! Remember when Brenda said we can all coach men behind the ball? Well you certainly cant. All great managers (I use the likes of Pulis here) firstly come in and get a solid back line, then season upon season try to build on from there. Liverpool are just another Newcastle who nearly got there by outscoring their opponents in the 'I'd love it' season. Football is full of ups and downs and the cockiness of their supporters last year makes this season so much better for us all! LFC YAWN

Read this earlier in the comments section on SS, can't help but agree with it. Hysterical!
Original post by Zürich
He really isn't. He got a terrible injury last season from a tackle vs Spurs, but that can happen to any player. Prior to that he was very rarely injured and had played 40+ games on average in his prior 3 seasons(before that wasnt 1st team). Maybe he'll be injury prone now of course, but we'll have to wait and see.

Sterling is better now than Walcott was at the same age, although Walcott later developed a very strong goal-scoring ability(esp in big games) and it remains to be seen if Sterling will produce the same raw stats, even if he has more talent. Walcott took a long time to get to the point of being a consistent scorer/provider though, very few young players are consistent like that.

But Sterling is having a poor season though, AOC has probably overtaken him tbh.

Yeah, just looked at his stats. That's weird - I often hear Walcott and "injury prone" in the same sentence, despite evidence to the contrary. Guess he's just got that reputation.
Bredon can't even use his subs right. The pressure is clouding his whatever little judgement there is left in him
FF Awards are up now guys get voting! :h:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2995923
Wtf is a 'WUM'?
Original post by Mackay
Wtf is a 'WUM'?

Wind-up merchant

Posted from TSR Mobile
^Sensational.
Original post by samir12
We wouldn't have even scored at all if he was playing hence would've lost. Lambert looks much better.

Exactly.
As I've said many times, Lambert isn't on the level of players like Sturridge or Sanchez. He can't just create goals out of nothing like those players sometimes do.
But at least he tries; he hasn't got good mobility but at least he moves.
He hasn't got the greatest of stamina but at least he's tired when he finishes his game.

People laugh and make fun of the fact that he's our best striker right now.
Yeah fair enough, maybe he isn't the kind of quality you would want to rely on week in week out, but the fact is that he bloody puts in a shift.
I'd take that over a player like Balotelli any day.
Valdes is on the market again, it's being widely reported that we're not offering him a deal and he's returned to Spain.

Surely you'll try and sign him this time, surely?
Original post by sr90
Valdes is on the market again, it's being widely reported that we're not offering him a deal and he's returned to Spain.

Surely!!
Original post by sr90

Valdes, Cech, Casillas.
As unlikely the latter two are, I really don't care how much money it takes; I just want a consistent keeper.
Not saying any keeper could do well with our defence but mignolet still makes hilarious errors on top of that.
Original post by Lúcio
Valdes, Cech, Casillas.
As unlikely the latter two are, I really don't care how much money it takes; I just want a consistent keeper.
Not saying any keeper could do well with our defence but mignolet still makes hilarious errors on top of that.

De Gea is doing alright with our reserves in front of him :tongue: Imagine if you were having to play Markovic at fullback, Ilori and Coates every week

Quick Reply

Latest