The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Is Cardiff Met in the slow group for replies this year? I just looked on the table and nobody has got a response from them yet...D: (including me)
Original post by nesca89
Oh really... Where about is it you live?

Walsall, it's only a 20 train ride from Birmingham but I really want to move away 😊
Got an interview at uea on Tuesday oh god... Anyone know anything about their interviews and what it involves?!
Also filled my Reading questionnaire in 3 weeks ago, anyone know when I'm likely to hear back? :smile:
Newcastle invited me to interview today! Did any one else get one? I had to request a different date so hopefully they will have a session in January I can go to!
Original post by amypewwy
Walsall, it's only a 20 train ride from Birmingham but I really want to move away

Oh cool, yeah I don't blame you. Its a shame there isn't a speech therapy course in Liverpool because it's a great city!
Original post by HowayGuapa
Newcastle invited me to interview today! Did any one else get one? I had to request a different date so hopefully they will have a session in January I can go to!

I emailed them and they said they will get back to me in a few days. How did you receive interview, was it track or email?
Reply 486
Sooo nervous about the Uni of Manc interview on Wednesday :frown: unsure what to wear as well, how smart is everyone thinking?
Original post by djavor
Sooo nervous about the Uni of Manc interview on Wednesday :frown: unsure what to wear as well, how smart is everyone thinking?

I was at the interview last year here, and everyone was kid of mixed. Try and go for smart casual I think
heyy guyss :smile:
has anyone had an interview for speech pathology at manchester metro yet?
Original post by eskimok1
Got an interview at uea on Tuesday oh god... Anyone know anything about their interviews and what it involves?!
Also filled my Reading questionnaire in 3 weeks ago, anyone know when I'm likely to hear back? :smile:

oohhh I've applied to Reading as well but havent got any reply from them yet :frown: where else have you applied.. got interviews from? and what does the questionnaire involves? :smile:
Original post by nesca89
I emailed them and they said they will get back to me in a few days. How did you receive interview, was it track or email?

It it was an email, nothing appeared on track.. They haven't got back to me yet about changing the date.
Original post by HowayGuapa
It it was an email, nothing appeared on track.. They haven't got back to me yet about changing the date.

Ah right,yeah hopefully they will get back to me hehe. They will be fine about you changing the date, don't worry :smile:
Original post by Ellice97
Wow, thank you that's incredibly useful :smile: it sounds like a very intense day, really hope I can get to that stage.

So you're studying at Newcastle now? How are you finding it? :smile: x

I am. I do not think I am the best person to give a general perspective as I live locally, am a mature student, worked for the university before I started, and knew some of the staff too. (For instance, I have a negative impression about how the department run things based on me working in another faculty). KatB17 will be better for that as she is a 'proper' fresher so to speak (and she is much friendlier than me!).

I do not think you can really prepare yourself for the variety of subjects we study. Everyone will have a weakness no matter what their background. Even graduates who have a degree in linguistics have weaknesses in other areas (e.g. anatomy or psychology). It is learning to cope with the feeling that you cannot cover everything to the level you probably want or are used to, say, at A level.

We just got back our first essay. My friendship group had a massive range of marks. One failed, two got a 2.2, I got a 2.1, and someone else got a first. People expected me to get a first because I am very academic. My problem is that the last academic things I wrote at university were 5000 word essays and a 15,000 word dissertation at master's level. I have also gotten too used to writing for professional purposes (e.g. writing to win research funding) so I found it extremely hard to write something stupidly broad in only 1000 words to tick boxes to satisfy some marker. It is something I am going to have to relearn. We all have our struggles!
Hello!
I am a mature student at the University of Sheffield. I want to say, "don't be put off by their ridiculous interview process" because I nearly was and am having a ball! Sheffield is great and the department of human communication sciences are much more 'sorted,' supportive and helpful than the whole of their application process would have you believe. I don't know if it will be the same this year but I had a written interview, a group "discussion" and a 5min 'chat' with a visiting clinician who hadn't read my personal statement and didn't know anything about the University/course content, etc. I then had a very long wait to find out if I had a place.

I'm sure you will make the most of wherever you end up and to be honest, doubt any course is better than any other (perhaps some are more 'academic' or 'hands on' than others?) I was a SEN teacher in Bristol and am about to turn 29. I have a 2:1 in primary teaching but got BBC at Alevel (not enough points for most of the courses I applied for - and I was successful for all 5 courses). My advice to those who are not successful is to soak up as much experience as possible and don't be shy to show passion!
Reply 494
I haven't heard yet either :smile: pretty sure the don't interview or anything so they take longer with decisions :smile:
Reply 495
Hello guys!

I'm new here. I'm an international EU student applying for postgraduate degree SLT in UK. I study BSc Speech and Language Therapy and MSc Special education, I already graduated BSc Special Education in my country. I just started reading your posts here and you guys made me super nervous.

Firstly, I didn't know that if you get an offer from Uni you need to pass an interview. My God, now I'm terrified.

I applied to Newcastle, Reading, University of Queen Margaret, Essex (will apply in Feb) and Manchester (in May).

Do you have any information on NHS bursaries for University of Queen Margaret. Is it true that you can't get bursary for this programme?

And another question: Do you know how many applicants those universities accept?

Sorry, my english is a bit rusty at the moment
:colondollar:
Original post by PikaSLO
Hello guys!

I'm new here. I'm an international EU student applying for postgraduate degree SLT in UK. I study BSc Speech and Language Therapy and MSc Special education, I already graduated BSc Special Education in my country. I just started reading your posts here and you guys made me super nervous.

Firstly, I didn't know that if you get an offer from Uni you need to pass an interview. My God, now I'm terrified.

I applied to Newcastle, Reading, University of Queen Margaret, Essex (will apply in Feb) and Manchester (in May).

Do you have any information on NHS bursaries for University of Queen Margaret. Is it true that you can't get bursary for this programme?

And another question: Do you know how many applicants those universities accept?

Hey! Think most people on here are undergrads, but you're welcome to join!

The funding system is totally different in Scotland - the NHS bursaries don't exist up there but the main student funding body (SAAS) provides loans, grants and tuition fees. I'm not quite sure what is available to you as an EU applicant (I'm classified as a Rest of UK applicant so it's different for me) so it's probably worth sending QMU and email to find out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PikaSLO
Hello guys!

Just to clarify, are you an EU student or an International student?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 498
Original post by Butterfly9595
Just to clarify, are you an EU student or an International student?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry. My bad. I'm an EU student, from Slovenia. I just found the postgraduate theme for SLT, so I'll write there. Thanks for everything.
Original post by PikaSLO
Sorry. My bad. I'm an EU student, from Slovenia. I just found the postgraduate theme for SLT, so I'll write there. Thanks for everything.

No worries :wink: best of luck with your application!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest