The Student Room Group

AS Biology Help !!!

Right so I'm really struggling with AS Biology at the moment. I need a B to get into my university course (veterinary nursing) and I'm really worried I won't get this as it is the subject I need to do the best in. my grades have been pretty unpredictable throughout the year, one week I'm getting A's in my homework and the next I'll get a U/E/D. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to boost my grade, anyone who has done A level biology or is doing it? I appreciate any help.
Original post by AJC16
Right so I'm really struggling with AS Biology at the moment. I need a B to get into my university course (veterinary nursing) and I'm really worried I won't get this as it is the subject I need to do the best in. my grades have been pretty unpredictable throughout the year, one week I'm getting A's in my homework and the next I'll get a U/E/D. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to boost my grade, anyone who has done A level biology or is doing it? I appreciate any help.

Simply put, revise as you go along and ask your teacher if you don't understand something. Once we complete a section of the syllabus i write up notes on that section and use the spec as dividers in my folder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm taking A Level Biology! What exam board do you have? If you're struggling I'd suggest buying a revision guide or text book to help. If you're doing OCR like I am, there's a real great one by OCR that everyone recommends. CGP are also really good, it just depends which style you prefer. Its also good to look over your notes after the lesson and maybe read ahead (if you have enough time) to make sure you understand the basics of what's going to be covered in the lesson. Making revision notes as you go along is also really helpful so you don't have to panic and make them all near the exam.
Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by whatacrydonnie
I'm taking A Level Biology! What exam board do you have? If you're struggling I'd suggest buying a revision guide or text book to help. If you're doing OCR like I am, there's a real great one by OCR that everyone recommends. CGP are also really good, it just depends which style you prefer. Its also good to look over your notes after the lesson and maybe read ahead (if you have enough time) to make sure you understand the basics of what's going to be covered in the lesson. Making revision notes as you go along is also really helpful so you don't have to panic and make them all near the exam.
Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your advice. Im using AQA which is such a difficult exam board, I have the revision book which is endorsed by AQA and I took one of the CGP book out of the library there's just so much context to remember. I'm so worried for the exams next year, how am I going to get a B if I can't even do well on a homework task.
Just as with whatacrydonnie, I'm doing OCR Biology too (I'm at A2). For revision, I got a little book of revision cards (you can find them in WHSmith, Rymans, Wilko and probably plenty of other places) and condensed my notes to those. If there was anything I didn't understand, I asked my teacher or looked through the PowerPoints he'd made and put on my college's VLE. It's vital to let your teacher know if there's something you just can't get, because then they can offer methods with which to deal with it. Failing that, look through your revision books or ask on here!

On a side note, don't let it get you down too much, I remember finding it pretty tricky to start off at AS. I'm sure you'll find something which suits you and you'll manage to do well enough in your exams!

Yours,
Grey
Reply 5
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Simply put, revise as you go along and ask your teacher if you don't understand something. Once we complete a section of the syllabus i write up notes on that section and use the spec as dividers in my folder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for replying!!! That sounds like a good idea, with the writing up notes after each section. It's just a lot of context to remember. We've just finished that massive section involving proteins/carbohydrates/transport/membranes/cell structure etc. Were now on the topic of Lungs and the gaseous system. Is it just me or is it such a lot to remember?! Thanks again for your help :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by ThenameisGrey
Just as with whatacrydonnie, I'm doing OCR Biology too (I'm at A2). For revision, I got a little book of revision cards (you can find them in WHSmith, Rymans, Wilko and probably plenty of other places) and condensed my notes to those. If there was anything I didn't understand, I asked my teacher or looked through the PowerPoints he'd made and put on my college's VLE. It's vital to let your teacher know if there's something you just can't get, because then they can offer methods with which to deal with it. Failing that, look through your revision books or ask on here!

On a side note, don't let it get you down too much, I remember finding it pretty tricky to start off at AS. I'm sure you'll find something which suits you and you'll manage to do well enough in your exams!

Yours,
Grey

Thanks for your advice. It is probably the hardest A level I do, I think especially with my exam board (AQA) you have to be very specific with your answers and terminology, it think that's what throws me, having to apply knowledge to questions plus all the context you have to learn. But I will defiantly have a go with the revision card idea. Thanks. :smile:
Reply 7
A year 13 told me that theres a site called Biology101 which is really good :smile:
Reply 8
I'm doing A2 OCR biology at the moment and it's horrific. You think there's a lot of AS content to remember just wait till A2. Not only that but the concepts and processes are even harder. Enjoy AS while you can! :wink:

I managed to get an A at AS last year. Even now I'm still trying to work out how the hell I did it. My advice would be to not get too caught up on what grades you get throughout the year, unless they are consistently bad. Like you I'd been getting a range of grades over the course of year. I reckon it's literally just luck on the day, what questions come up, and how the rest of your year do. Grade boundaries can be unbelievably low one year and unachievably high the next.

Also I don't know about AQA but for OCR we had 3 isa's (experiment type things) which were great as the teacher would go over the whole thing beforehand (I don't think they were actually supposed to do this...), and then we just had to regurgitate the info. These completely boost up your grades. In terms of what I did for prep, I used the OCR textbook and the GGP grey revision guide. I revised by condensing a spread into just 1 page of notes, which were very to the point. Then, the night before the exams I just read through my notes and highlighted key bits. This allowed me to cover the whole spec in 1 night!

Repetition is the only way you'll remember mass amounts of info. I did the same for geography and got an A in that to. Works for me! Good luck! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by YesJess
I'm doing A2 OCR biology at the moment and it's horrific. You think there's a lot of AS content to remember just wait till A2. Not only that but the concepts and processes are even harder. Enjoy AS while you can! :wink:

I managed to get an A at AS last year. Even now I'm still trying to work out how the hell I did it. My advice would be to not get too caught up on what grades you get throughout the year, unless they are consistently bad. Like you I'd been getting a range of grades over the course of year. I reckon it's literally just luck on the day, what questions come up, and how the rest of your year do. Grade boundaries can be unbelievably low one year and unachievably high the next.

Also I don't know about AQA but for OCR we had 3 isa's (experiment type things) which were great as the teacher would go over the whole thing beforehand (I don't think they were actually supposed to do this...), and then we just had to regurgitate the info. These completely boost up your grades. In terms of what I did for prep, I used the OCR textbook and the GGP grey revision guide. I revised by condensing a spread into just 1 page of notes, which were very to the point. Then, the night before the exams I just read through my notes and highlighted key bits. This allowed me to cover the whole spec in 1 night!

Repetition is the only way you'll remember mass amounts of info. I did the same for geography and got an A in that to. Works for me! Good luck! :smile:

I dread to think how much context there is at A2 !!! I know we have a controlled assessment type thing where we do a practical and answer questions on it (I think) it sounds similar to your Isa's. I think I will start rewriting up notes to just sort of engrain it into my memory, loads of the concepts are just quite difficult to get your head around. Congratulations on your A though, that's amazing!!!
Reply 10
Original post by Tj789
A year 13 told me that theres a site called Biology101 which is really good :smile:

Thank you so much, I will check it out now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending