The Student Room Group

Africans Have Never Built a Major Enduring City in 3,000 Years

I'm sure some of you may know who Pastor Manning is and I don't take this guy seriously but I can't refute his argument on Africa. I can't think of what ships or buildings they've built before the colonization of white people. If anyone knows about this topic please tell me about what major cities Africa has had in the past and what they invented because I would like to know more about it.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by al_94

I'm sure some of you may know who Pastor Manning is and I don't take this guy seriously but I can't refute his argument on Africa. I can't think of what ships or buildings they've built before the colonization of white people. If anyone knows about this topic please tell me about what major cities Africa has had in the past and what they invented because I would like to know more about it.

1) I'm not about to watch a 234o23min video.
2) I don't know who that is, nor do I care.
3) What point are you trying to raise? ._. It's not like we already know Africa isn't leading in technology...
The Mali Empire did well for themselves didn't they? I don't know a great deal about them though, maybe worth reading on. I know Musa I of Mali constructed some building such as Universities. (In Timbuktu)
Egypt?
(edited 9 years ago)
You've heard of Middle Eastern civilisations massive influence on Egypt too then I suppose?
Original post by Dhanny
You've heard of Middle Eastern civilisations massive influence on Egypt too then I suppose?

Was that directed at me? I didn't actually mean to sound so sarcastic :tongue:

Africa is a large continent - the areas around the Mediterranean are going to be very different from Sub-Saharan Africa in terms of history and development - it's a fair point.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by cake_lover
The Mali Empire did well for themselves didn't they? I don't know a great deal about them though, maybe worth reading on. I know Musa I of Mali constructed some building such as Universities. (In Timbuktu)

I have some knowledge on it but they speak Arabic in Mali and they did not have a written language before that so part of it is down to their communication with the Arab traders.
Cape coast - elimina castle, Ghana

Posted from TSR Mobile
The awkward moment when it's difficult
to find a major enduring city ...from a very large continent.
Reply 9
Original post by Octohedral
Egypt?

Ancient Egpyt was more than 3,000 years ago to my knowledge
I'm ashamed I know so little, but this is very interesting: :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-Saharan_Africa#Central_Africa

I'm sure some of these empires would have endured.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
I'm ashamed I know so little, but this is very interesting: :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-Saharan_Africa#Central_Africa

I'm sure some of these empires would have endured.

I've seen much of this already but a lot of these monuments were built by foreigners or not standing today like the Walls of Benin for example. They say it was destroyed by the British but other walls like The Great Wall of China are still standing today.
Original post by al_94
I've seen much of this already but a lot of these monuments were built by foreigners or not standing today like the Walls of Benin for example. They say it was destroyed by the British but other walls like The Great Wall of China are still standing today.

Hmm. I really don't know much about this topic, but I really want to find something now. I'll get back to you :tongue:

Just as another point, they're not the only area that didn't see much development. North America didn't do well, despite having the Incas and Aztecs etc in South America (again, overrun by the West). Nor did the native Australians. Even Britain was all tribal before the Romans arrived. There seem to be isolated areas where civilisation we know it began - China, the Middle East and the Mediterranean - and spread outwards. So perhaps Africa is the norm rather than the exception?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Hmm. I really don't know much about this topic, but I really want to find something now. I'll get back to you :tongue:

Just as another point, they're not the only area that didn't see much development. North America didn't do well, despite having the Incas and Aztecs etc in South America (again, overrun by the West). Nor did the native Australians. Even Britain was all tribal before the Romans arrived. There seem to be isolated areas where civilisation we know it began - China, the Middle East and the Mediterranean - and spread outwards. So perhaps Africa is the norm rather than the exception?

The architecture in most of Africa was far behind the level of the rest of the world during the same time period. The man in the video talks about how Africans built from clay when the rest of the world was building with stone.
Original post by Dhanny
The awkward moment when it's difficult
to find a major enduring city ...from a very large continent.

The awkward moment when a supposed University "Student" can't perform a single Google search. Google ancient cities in Sub saharan Africa before making stupid assumptions
Original post by Game_Boyd
The awkward moment when a supposed University "Student" can't perform a single Google search. Google ancient cities in Sub saharan Africa before making stupid assumptions

You're replying to a 4 year old post.
I don't know if you realize this, but it's generally a bad idea to build massive stone structures in a desert like area. I assume my ancestors quickly realized this and stuck to making multiple storied palaces of Adobe, wattle and thatch, because they provided natural cooling for their inhabitants. So no, it wasn't actually mud. In the case of cities built of stone in Africa, such as great Zimbabwe, or the stone church in Ethiopia, take a look at the fact that they were not desert-like as the rest of Africa. Most Adobe using cultures in Africa dwelt in the extremely humid sahel and savannah areas.
We need to get past this misconception that stone architecture was the mark of advanced Civilization. The Inca, Aztec, and Mayan also built stone structures, but they mostly inhabited jungle areas. The same could be said of most European Kingdoms. How many deserts or desert- like areas are there in Europe?
Original post by al_94
The architecture in most of Africa was far behind the level of the rest of the world during the same time period. The man in the video talks about how Africans built from clay when the rest of the world was building with stone.
Once again, the Australian aboriginals lived in extremely humid desert areas, and used what materials afforded them they most natural Cooling. Same thing for the original Americans, at least for those in the desert areas. Even the ones who dwelt in the forests built large wooden structures. People built things with whatever materials they found readily available, and best suited for their needs, their way of life, their climate, their geography. For the rest of the world, I guess that was stone, and so they focused all their intelligence and resources of developing stone working techniques and traditions. For most of Africa, I guess that was Adobe, wattle, wood and thatch.
You see, this is one thing I hate about Europeans. They're so stuck up their own asses, they assume their way of doing things is the best for every where and everyone, regardless of obvious differences in climate, geography and necessity. They look down on all other civilizations as inferior to theirs, instead of recognizing them adaptive ingenuity of their fellow humans. You *******s need some serious self revaluation. I'm tired of being made to feel inferior because of my own history and heritage. When most of it has been hidden for centuries. Seriously, just do a simple ****ing Google search, you autistic potatoes.

I know. This is for any really lost person who for some strange reason ends up here like me.
Yes it does. Or does anyone want to point out that it was constructed by a teleporting, time traveling group of middle eastern ears.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending