The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Got Oxford Interview at brasenose for E&M!!!
Original post by groovyd97
Maybe, but your situation shows initiative whereas mine shows the opposite. One thing I do know: PS>>grades/UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well that's just not true is it
Original post by Mike_123
Well that's just not true is it

Well it is true to an extent - majority of A's with reasonable UMS in maths is all you need grade wise. Then it's all the PS in pretty sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1803
Original post by aditkulkarni
Got Oxford Interview at brasenose for E&M!!!

Original post by tomixox
Economics and Management Interview at Balliol College, Oxford:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Still anxiously waiting on UCL and LSE. I dont think UCL will get back to me until next year as I have applied for both their straight economics course and year abroad course! Expecting a rejection from LSE (but still a little hopeful) as I dont do FM and have no intention on doing this year if they dont ask me to

Nice one lads,

any idea what we are meant to do in the evenings and stuff while we dont actually have interviews and how we are meant to kill time?! Like 2 days in a new city just seems a bit of a pain to me
Original post by ndhala
Nice one lads,

any idea what we are meant to do in the evenings and stuff while we dont actually have interviews and how we are meant to kill time?! Like 2 days in a new city just seems a bit of a pain to me

I think they said you could bring some school work to do but dunno about that hahaha! They've provided like a list of things to do in oxford but I'm hopefully planning on getting together with some people and seeing what the city is like, especially at night!
Original post by doublecc123
Most good unis want grade A or above in maths gcse but some don't really have that requirement. If you go onto ucas search and have a look at entry requirements, that might help. Also, it depends on the uni I guess because some have a typical offer of BBB or even below that and the better unis want AAA

What about IGCSE Maths?
So annoyed that my economist hasn't arrived today ergh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
So annoyed that my economist hasn't arrived today ergh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine comes on Fridays :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17
Mine comes on Fridays :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mines always Saturday and it's not here ergh and I wanted to have a properly thorough read of it before my interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
what's everyone doing to prepare for interviews?

Help is appreciated!
Original post by aditkulkarni
what's everyone doing to prepare for interviews?

Help is appreciated!

I am going in detail over everything they could ask me in my personal statement. So, I am doing mandamus and writing notes on the topics that appear in my PS. Im also reading FT every day for about 30min/45mins and attempting to read as much of my Economist as possible :colondollar: I have had one mock interview and have another one tomorrow. I will probably have one more as well before the interview. I am also going to spent a few hours on some Math problem solving questions. also, I need to read two and a quarter books before the interview as I have not yet done that :colondollar: FML...
Original post by tomixox
I am going in detail over everything they could ask me in my personal statement. So, I am doing mandamus and writing notes on the topics that appear in my PS. Im also reading FT every day for about 30min/45mins and attempting to read as much of my Economist as possible :colondollar: I have had one mock interview and have another one tomorrow. I will probably have one more as well before the interview. I am also going to spent a few hours on some Math problem solving questions. also, I need to read two and a quarter books before the interview as I have not yet done that :colondollar: FML...

lol I'm glad it's not just me who needs to read 2 books before the interview!
Original post by liamc1997
lol I'm glad it's not just me who needs to read 2 books before the interview!

Original post by tomixox

Original post by NinjaPandaa
Mines always Saturday and it's not here ergh and I wanted to have a properly thorough read of it before my interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which areas of maths should we need to know about?
Original post by Username13

From what I've been told, graphs & differentiation are quite popular maths questions
Reply 1814
Original post by liamc1997
From what I've been told, graphs & differentiation are quite popular maths questions

Original post by Username13

Anyone seen any example of maths questions??
Original post by ndhala
Anyone seen any example of maths questions??

I think you should expect anything from AS
Buzzing - interview at Pembroke College Oxford for E&M...
A bit random but would anyone say dropping M1 for FP2 is stupid as I dislike Mechanics?Also pure modules are helpful for someone like me as Im doing Economics and a lot of Further methods are used I believe whereas I would almost never use any M1 methods in econ.
Original post by Rkai01
A bit random but would anyone say dropping M1 for FP2 is stupid as I dislike Mechanics?Also pure modules are helpful for someone like me as Im doing Economics and a lot of Further methods are used I believe whereas I would almost never use any M1 methods in econ.

Unless you're sure that you can do as well, if not better, in FP2 as you could in M1, there is no reason why you can't.
Reply 1819
Got an offer from Exeter and York now, just waiting on LSE, UCL and Warwick :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending