The Student Room Group

Leeds Dentistry 2015 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by georgialouu96
just got my interview date!! So nervous for the MMI's. Anyone else's on the 12th? ������

me!! mines at 8.00am wbu?
Anyone on 15th December 8 am? :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by Jennyyy33
Hi guys! Just want to let you know that you shouldn't worry about GCSE and a level stats so much!
I got 4A* 5A and a C and predicted AAA and I got an interview and an offer! (Ended up somewhere else) but still, stop stressing :smile:
hi could you please give me advice for the interview? I'm really nervous about the MMIs, do you know what kind of questions they ask about generally? And what are MMI's actually like? :s
Original post by ijc1
me!! mines at 8.00am wbu?

aww mines at 1. I'm so scared, I've been looking at some of the stuff you have to do 😳 it seems hard
Reply 84
aww mines at 1. I'm so scared, I've been looking at some of the stuff you have to do ������ it seems hard

where is the info? I cant find anything lol
Original post by ijc1
where is the info? I cant find anything lol

Just type MMI dentistry interview questions on Google and lots of examples come up. Most of them don't seem to have a right or wrong answer just you have to be able to justify your reasoning, the manual dexterity/role play sections are what scare me haha
just got my interview date!! So nervous for the MMI's. Anyone else's on the 12th? 😁

Mine is at 1:00 on the same day :')
Original post by thekkekara
Mine is at 1:00 on the same day :')

ooo good! ☺️ You have any idea what you're going to do for the 'my passion' section?
ooo good! ☺️ You have any idea what you're going to do for the 'my passion' section?

Um...haha not yet! You?
Original post by thekkekara
Um...haha not yet! You?

no idea 😂 don't really know what type of stuff to talk about! Has it appeared on your track because mine hasn't?
Does anyone know if leeds provides any accommodation for EU students who are invited for an interview? :smile:
Hi, have you had an interview invitation yet? I am also an EU student but haven't recieved an email with either an invitation or a rejection so far!
I was wondering if we would be notified for the next round in February??
Original post by Kingston99
Hi, have you had an interview invitation yet? I am also an EU student but haven't recieved an email with either an invitation or a rejection so far!
I was wondering if we would be notified for the next round in February??

Hey, yeah I got an invitation for 15th December.
no idea 😂 don't really know what type of stuff to talk about! Has it appeared on your track because mine hasn't?

I think offers will rather than interviews but not sure. Has anyone else had their appear on track?
Reply 94
Interviews don't appear on track for most dental schools.
Leeds send an email and letter for interviews only.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ash0210
hi could you please give me advice for the interview? I'm really nervous about the MMIs, do you know what kind of questions they ask about generally? And what are MMI's actually like? :s

Ah I didn't actually know Leeds had changed to MMI! It wasn't when I was interviewed a couple years ago. Although I did have two other MMI interviews. They're fine though, they're no different to normal interviews it's just that each question is asked by a different person at a different station.
In my MMI's there were a few different stations, one typicaly asks about something on your PS maybe about hobbies, one would ask a very dentistry related question e.g difference between private and NHS or what do you think of the price banding withing the NHS (these were my actual questions)
One station was an ethical question about a patient who wanted cosmetic dentistry but professionally you think it's too risky so how would that go etc.
Leeds actually asked me why Leeds as a city not why Leeds dental institute, they also asked what I knew about the GDC and how then run.

I'd suggest that in the MMI make your main points right away, the time goes very quickly when you're actually sat there so don't miss out!
If I remember anything else they asked I'll let you know, but as it was a couple years back I've forgotten a lot haha
Has anyone received the MMI guidance letter in the post yet?
Original post by Jennyyy33
Ah I didn't actually know Leeds had changed to MMI! It wasn't when I was interviewed a couple years ago. Although I did have two other MMI interviews. They're fine though, they're no different to normal interviews it's just that each question is asked by a different person at a different station.
In my MMI's there were a few different stations, one typicaly asks about something on your PS maybe about hobbies, one would ask a very dentistry related question e.g difference between private and NHS or what do you think of the price banding withing the NHS (these were my actual questions)
One station was an ethical question about a patient who wanted cosmetic dentistry but professionally you think it's too risky so how would that go etc.
Leeds actually asked me why Leeds as a city not why Leeds dental institute, they also asked what I knew about the GDC and how then run.

I'd suggest that in the MMI make your main points right away, the time goes very quickly when you're actually sat there so don't miss out!
If I remember anything else they asked I'll let you know, but as it was a couple years back I've forgotten a lot haha

In the last couple of years the MMI's at Leeds haven't quite been as straight forward as the scenario described above. At Leeds MMI some of the questions have been "asked" through role play. Role play has also been used to test communication skills and there have been practical stations to test manual dexterity/ability to follow instructions. They have also asked candidates to make a presentation and given them a title in advance.
My advice on how to prepare is as follows:
Prepare well for the presentation and practice in front of family and friends.
Make sure that you can back up everything in your presentation and personal statement with examples.
Learn how to explain dentistry terms, so if you are asked a follow up question you can answer it e.g. if you mention a patient with amalgam filling, periodontal disease, tooth decay etc be sue that you can concisely explain what these terms are.
Read up on basic medical ethics then if you are given an ethical scenario you can relate your response to your base knowledge.
Be prepared for the unexpected - at some MMI's I have know students to be asked random questions such "if you could choose a super power, what would your super power be?"
Finally try not to stress too much and be yourself. Your interview should reflect you as a person and the admissions officers are looking for people who are both friendly and empathetic as well has having the ability to meet the academic and other challenges of dentistry.
Hi guys, i received my pack today! i was lucky enough to go on a course for MMI interviews and the most important thing is to be yourselves. Make sure you read the basics and have fun with it! no need to wear a suit for Leeds, i know the students from years 1-4 very well and literally nobody dressed in a suit. Smart jeans/chinos and a shirt/smart cardigan will do! its not a formal process. More like speed dating but a lil more serious lol.

Take care and hope to see you all early on the 12th!

Brian Badonde
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest