The Student Room Group

2015 Physics Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Just got an offer from Swansea! ABB for physics w/ particle physics and cosmology BSc. Probably won't take it because my firm is ABC, so it doesn't really make sense to have ABB as my insurance... so we'll have to see where else gives me offers. Very happy to have two offers already though!
Original post by adri57
Thanks! But is it really done to ask for a Skype interview, or better to hang on and see if the universities ask for it?

Did they outright invite your daughter to an interview, or was it just an open day invitation? Lancaster invited me to an interview, but noted if I were unable to come I should inform them. Then I just wrote an e-mail saying I would be grateful for an alternate interview method, and suddenly I found myself having had an enjoyable talk with their interviewer (a passionate scientist, might I add) :-)
If it was just an open day invitation, I wouldn't worry, I'm sure if they had a problem with your daughter not coming they would've informed her right away!
Reply 542
Original post by Spongelk
Did they outright invite your daughter to an interview, or was it just an open day invitation? Lancaster invited me to an interview, but noted if I were unable to come I should inform them. Then I just wrote an e-mail saying I would be grateful for an alternate interview method, and suddenly I found myself having had an enjoyable talk with their interviewer (a passionate scientist, might I add) :-)
If it was just an open day invitation, I wouldn't worry, I'm sure if they had a problem with your daughter not coming they would've informed her right away!

It was just an invitation to a "visit" day in both cases (Southampton and King's) so I guess we'll sit and wait! Thanks for your help. My daughter has a "real" interview at Imperial on 10th December and has definitely not declined that!
Just got an offer from Keele! ABC/BBB!
Original post by katiecharc
Just got an offer from Keele! ABC/BBB!

That's a nice offer, think you'll firm or insure with that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DanRigg96#
That's a nice offer, think you'll firm or insure with that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

UCLan {my favourite one} offered me ABC so I'll firm that, and Keele will probably be my insurance. Still waiting on Hull and Heriot-Watt though, but I'm pretty sure I'lll stick with UCLan and Keele. :smile:
Original post by katiecharc
UCLan {my favourite one} offered me ABC so I'll firm that, and Keele will probably be my insurance. Still waiting on Hull and Heriot-Watt though, but I'm pretty sure I'lll stick with UCLan and Keele. :smile:

Sounds like a good plan!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 547
Hi guys, just a quick question! Have any of you heard back from York, Exeter, Liverpool, Heriot Watt or Nottingham Trent? If so what was your offer? I only sent my application on Monday but I'm flapping because 5 days after I sent mine last year I had three offers already 😩
Received an interview from Lancaster today, wasn't expecting it as didn't mention would be a possibility when i entered it to UCAS as exeter did, anyone else receive or had one already?
Reply 549
Original post by elliem29
Received an interview from Lancaster today, wasn't expecting it as didn't mention would be a possibility when i entered it to UCAS as exeter did, anyone else receive or had one already?

Yeah I had mine on Wednesday and seen a few others have had them. Think it basically means you've got an offer as they said everyone there was going to get one when I went
Oh good! Did yours go well? Also what have you applied for? Because im just bsci physics and still surprised they want to interview for it
Reply 551
Oh good! Did yours go well? Also what have you applied for? Because im just bsci physics and still surprised they want to interview for it

Yeah it was fine they gave me an offer of A*AA in the end after doing some stuff about the velocity of a satellite orbiting the earth with the circular motion equations, it was pretty casual.
I've applied for the MPhys but there were people doing all the courses they offer there. Think the 'interview day' is more to sell themselves to applicants
Ah okay that sounds okay and made me less nervous aha! Oh okay that's the offer expected for masters isn't it, oh I see okay cool I hope I get the offer really like the look of it!
Reply 553
Ah okay that sounds okay and made me less nervous aha! Oh okay that's the offer expected for masters isn't it, oh I see okay cool I hope I get the offer really like the look of it!

Yeah don't be nervous at all, you go up there, have a tour if you want, free tea & coffee, have lunch, go to a couple of lectures, sit on a table with a few others to have a go at some questions and have a relaxed 10 minute interview in which you'll be made your offer. It impressed me when I went up there more so than on the open day
Original post by Abbseh
Hi guys, just a quick question! Have any of you heard back from York, Exeter, Liverpool, Heriot Watt or Nottingham Trent? If so what was your offer? I only sent my application on Monday but I'm flapping because 5 days after I sent mine last year I had three offers already 😩

I applied 15th October and got an interview at Exeter about a week ago... ABOUT A WEEK AGO!... sorry... 😂
If you didn't get that don't worry looool
I didn't get any offers until nearly 3 weeks later! I applied for Sussex, Bristol, Exeter, Southampton, Swansea and have only got offers back from Sussex and Swansea so don't worry too much :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 555
Original post by DanRigg96#
I applied 15th October and got an interview at Exeter about a week ago... ABOUT A WEEK AGO!... sorry... 😂
If you didn't get that don't worry looool
I didn't get any offers until nearly 3 weeks later! I applied for Sussex, Bristol, Exeter, Southampton, Swansea and have only got offers back from Sussex and Swansea so don't worry too much :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I didn't get which? So you got them within a week of each other but 3/4 weeks after sending it? What's worrying me is last year Liverpool have me their offer within 4 days and this time they haven't 😩 I know Heriot watt took their time last year but I have no idea how long the others are going to take and it's driving me insane! I've messaged a few Exeter people from the physics connect page asking when they heard back for an interview and if it was quick to hear after sending their application in but most have ignored me :frown:
Reply 556
Original post by Abbseh
I've messaged a few Exeter people from the physics connect page asking when they heard back for an interview and if it was quick to hear after sending their application in but most have ignored me :frown:

I got an email inviting me to an interview 5 days after I sent my application but surely it varies
Reply 557
Original post by wmavfc
I got an email inviting me to an interview 5 days after I sent my application but surely it varies

When was it sent though? It all depends on when the application was sent in! I'm so worried that my school left it too late with the reference adding and I'll have to wait until Feb for an interview :frown:
Original post by Abbseh
If I didn't get which? So you got them within a week of each other but 3/4 weeks after sending it? What's worrying me is last year Liverpool have me their offer within 4 days and this time they haven't 😩 I know Heriot watt took their time last year but I have no idea how long the others are going to take and it's driving me insane! I've messaged a few Exeter people from the physics connect page asking when they heard back for an interview and if it was quick to hear after sending their application in but most have ignored me :frown:

Seems like you're panicking a bit, what are your predicted grades? If they're similar to their typical requirements you're bound to get an offer, be positive!
Also, most of your choices were in clearing last year so I don't think they'd snub you off
I still haven't heard back from Bristol and it seems like this whole forum has :L
Original post by adri57
It was just an invitation to a "visit" day in both cases (Southampton and King's) so I guess we'll sit and wait! Thanks for your help. My daughter has a "real" interview at Imperial on 10th December and has definitely not declined that!

I had my interview at Imperial on Thurs- if she needs any advice just drop me a message :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending