The Student Room Group

Forced to go abroad somewhere I don't want to go or else parents will disown me

Hello

I will not say where my family is from but it is in an awful place within a nice country. My relatives are all shady horrible people and i feel bad for saying this. You want to know how bad it is? We were driving down the street when a group of gangsters carjacked us and grabbed all our valuables and my mum's handbag. It's a slum full of thieves and criminals and its pretty dangerous. My parents are forcing me to spend a week there in the summer with relatives or else they will no longer financially support me at all from now on. I don't know what to do I have been crying, self harming and being sick at the thought of setting foot in that place and seeing my horrible relatives again where i have not been for a long time. They don't understand that I have a fear of going there through how unsafe it is, how horrible the people are and that it is full of crime gangs standing on every narrow street corner with knives and guns in their pockets. I am a third year uni student and female by the way.
Reply 1
According to my parents I'm being irrational and selfish when they both don't realise that the thought of being in that place again makes me physically sick. I spent an awful childhood there and the memories are still painful
Are you Colombian?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello

I will not say where my family is from but it is in an awful place within a nice country. My relatives are all shady horrible people and i feel bad for saying this. You want to know how bad it is? We were driving down the street when a group of gangsters carjacked us and grabbed all our valuables and my mum's handbag. It's a slum full of thieves and criminals and its pretty dangerous. My parents are forcing me to spend a week there in the summer with relatives or else they will no longer financially support me at all from now on. I don't know what to do I have been crying, self harming and being sick at the thought of setting foot in that place and seeing my horrible relatives again where i have not been for a long time. They don't understand that I have a fear of going there through how unsafe it is, how horrible the people are and that it is full of crime gangs standing on every narrow street corner with knives and guns in their pockets. I am a third year uni student and female by the way.

Make some excuses. Why don't you try getting a part time job or some extra credits thing. Something that will require you to do something important. Although, this will only work if your parents out education above everything

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Professor Purple
Are you Colombian?

No
Btw, if your mom had her handbag stolen in that area, why are they still willing to send you there?

P.S.

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Firenze26
Btw, if your mom had her handbag stolen in that area, why are they still willing to send you there?

P.S.

I don't know just to make me spend time with my family who i hate and some of them have also been involved involved in serious crime. One incident i remember is my grandfather holding a knife to my uncle's throat over a family dispute when i was around 10.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending