The Student Room Group

Three point turn could be removed from driving tests!

There are talks of changing the driving test we currently have to a new format. Independent driving will last 20 minutes instead of 10, a satnav will be used instead of following road signs and the three point turn and reverse around a corner might be tak http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11260861/Three-point-turn-could-be-dropped-from-driving-test.html

I think it's stupid to take out the three point turn, it seems quite useful for daily drivers.

They're going to trial it out at test centres across Britain, I hope it isn't mine :rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

Really? Ha the irony, my driving instructor told me this is what he's going to be teaching me on Friday
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
There are talks of changing the driving test we currently have to a new format. Independent driving will last 20 minutes instead of 10, a satnav will be used instead of following road signs and the three point turn and reverse around a corner might be tak http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11260861/Three-point-turn-could-be-dropped-from-driving-test.html

I think it's stupid to take out the three point turn, it seems quite useful for daily drivers.

They're going to trial it out at test centres across Britain, I hope it isn't mine :rolleyes:

Disagree with the 3 point turn being taken out.
Disagree with the independent driving no longer being about following road signs.
Completely agree that there should be a section of the test where they have to follow a satnav.

The amount of times I have had people who are blindly following a satnav nearly drive into my car or motorbike is beyond belief. They don't pay any attention to the road around them, just to what the little voice tells them to. The kind of people who would drive into a river if the satnav said so.
Original post by mackemforever
Disagree with the independent driving no longer being about following road signs.
Completely agree that there should be a section of the test where they have to follow a satnav.

The amount of times I have had people who are blindly following a satnav nearly drive into my car or motorbike is beyond belief. They don't pay any attention to the road around them, just to what the little voice tells them to. The kind of people who would drive into a river if the satnav said so.

I agree! I think it would be helpful for people to learn while following a satnav as it is another thing they need to concentrate on without losing concentration of the road.
Original post by Safiya122
Really? Ha the irony, my driving instructor told me this is what he's going to be teaching me on Friday

The maneuvers would still be good to learn anyway! They're trialing it around test centres so you should be able to practise if the test does change :smile: My test is in 2 weeks so I'm really hoping I won't have to do it haha
I agree! I think it would be helpful for people to learn while following a satnav as it is another thing they need to concentrate on without losing concentration of the road.

The maneuvers would still be good to learn anyway! They're trialing it around test centres so you should be able to practise if the test does change :smile: My test is in 2 weeks so I'm really hoping I won't have to do it haha

Ohh good luck :biggrin: well I already have been learning about reversing into a corner and I swear I confuse myself half the time haha

Really? You think we need to learn how to follow a satnav?

What has society come to :facepalm:
Reply 6
Three point turn is a manoeuvre rarely done in normal driving. Mainly since it is very disruptive to traffic. This is why it often throws up interesting situations in tests. I guess it has been retained for so long since it is a great test of judgements, steering and speed control skills. I think it could be replaced by a more typically requirement to reverse in to a parking space.
Ohh good luck :biggrin: well I already have been learning about reversing into a corner and I swear I confuse myself half the time haha

I used to HATE that :lol: I would always end up really far out from the kerb and would have to readjust for ages lol. Just do it really slowly and stop if you have to so you can think about where you need to go and which way to steer

Original post by Zarek
Three point turn is a manoeuvre rarely done in normal driving. Mainly since it is very disruptive to traffic. This is why it often throws up interesting situations in tests. I guess it has been retained for so long since it is a great test of judgements, steering and speed control skills. I think it could be replaced by a more typically requirement to reverse in to a parking space.

I think that was one of the ideas for replacement, which would be really helpful to learn, I do like the turn in the road though, when you first learn it, it helps you to understand how to steer/which way to steer which made me better for the other manoeuvres
I used to HATE that :lol: I would always end up really far out from the kerb and would have to readjust for ages lol. Just do it really slowly and stop if you have to so you can think about where you need to go and which way to steer

My instructor wants me to do this just with the clutch but I find it easier to use the clutch and brake, how do you do it?
Personally I think it the easiest manoeuvre.

You guys have it so lucky, here on the Isle of Man we get tested in all three manoeuvres during the test!!!
But we do get to start learning at 16.
My instructor wants me to do this just with the clutch but I find it easier to use the clutch and brake, how do you do it?

I do it with the clutch and brake, my instructor taught me this way so I can feel in control and go as slow as I need to while making obvservations.

It's really scary doing the reverse around a corner on going up a hill though :sigh:
I do it with the clutch and brake, my instructor taught me this way so I can feel in control and go as slow as I need to while making obvservations.

It's really scary doing the reverse around a corner on going up a hill though :sigh:

Oh yeah I did that on Friday didn't go so well but I guess practice makes perfect, wish my luck and let me know how your driving test goes :biggrin:
Original post by Zarek

3 point turn is most often used I'd say.
Oh yeah I did that on Friday didn't go so well but I guess practice makes perfect, wish my luck and let me know how your driving test goes :biggrin:

It does, I recently did it quite good but I'm hoping I don't get it on my test :frown:
Good luck for learning though :smile: Just practise as much as you can and try to drive at different times of day so you get some practise of different situations
I will, hopefully I'll be telling you I passed! :biggrin: :crossedf:
Reply 14
Original post by TolerantBeing
3 point turn is most often used I'd say.

Although I view myself as competent at it, I would usually just go around the block or reverse in to an opening. Far less disruptive and boring..
Reply 15
I think a three point turn is a very useful manoeuvre to do - much more common than reverse round a corner or even parallel parking, which I would never do unless I had no other choice (incidentally today is a year since I passed my test, my manoeuvre was a reverse bay park, which is obviously very useful).
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Really? You think we need to learn how to follow a satnav?

What has society come to :facepalm:

No, I think that people should plan a journey before they leave, look at a map, figure out where they're going and follow road signs, however even though I don't like it the fact of the matter is that more and more people now just jump in their car, set the satnav for their destination, and drive, and even though I don't like it the fact that it's becoming the normal thing to do now means that it should be something that drivers are assessed on before being given a license.
No, I think that people should plan a journey before they leave, look at a map, figure out where they're going and follow road signs, however even though I don't like it the fact of the matter is that more and more people now just jump in their car, set the satnav for their destination, and drive, and even though I don't like it the fact that it's becoming the normal thing to do now means that it should be something that drivers are assessed on before being given a license.

I completely agree with that as a driver who relies on satnav for long distance driving. I can say that this is a dangerous thing to do. I think the independent driving on the test is rubbish, I went the wrong way and I still passed :lol:
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
I completely agree with that as a driver who relies on satnav for long distance driving. I can say that this is a dangerous thing to do. I think the independent driving on the test is rubbish, I went the wrong way and I still passed :lol:

That's because the independent driving isn't really a test of your ability to follow a route correctly, but of your ability to drive safely without having somebody giving you instructions.

Even if you go completely the wrong way, as long as you do so in a safe manner then it shouldn't be marked as a fault. It's exactly the same as when you're being given directions by the examiner, if you make a mistake and go the wrong way that's not a problem as long as you do so in a safe fashion.

Case in point, on my motorbike test at one point I was told to take the "second right" but thanks to the audio on my earpiece cutting out I only heard "second" and I guessed and went left instead of right. Examiner told me he had said right and I got a bit flustered, made a U-turn in the road I had turned in to, went back to the main road, turned right out of it when I should have gone straight over, he had to correct me again, and eventually I got back on the right path. He took the piss out of me a bit afterwards but I didn't get any faults because of it, as while I had failed to follow his directions twice I hadn't done anything dangerous while doing it.
That's because the independent driving isn't really a test of your ability to follow a route correctly, but of your ability to drive safely without having somebody giving you instructions.

Even if you go completely the wrong way, as long as you do so in a safe manner then it shouldn't be marked as a fault. It's exactly the same as when you're being given directions by the examiner, if you make a mistake and go the wrong way that's not a problem as long as you do so in a safe fashion.

Case in point, on my motorbike test at one point I was told to take the "second right" but thanks to the audio on my earpiece cutting out I only heard "second" and I guessed and went left instead of right. Examiner told me he had said right and I got a bit flustered, made a U-turn in the road I had turned in to, went back to the main road, turned right out of it when I should have gone straight over, he had to correct me again, and eventually I got back on the right path. He took the piss out of me a bit afterwards but I didn't get any faults because of it, as while I had failed to follow his directions twice I hadn't done anything dangerous while doing it.

I guess that's very true, most people nowadays though are trying too hard to follow a satnav and are distracted which in turn creates dangerous driving

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending