The Student Room Group

I saw my dermatologist yesterday she she prescribed me MORE roaccutane.

Yesterday was my last visit to the hospital to see my dermatologist. She has released me back to gp now as I am finished. Which I expected I have been on roaccutane (isotretinoin) for almost 6 months. Today was what I thought would be my last day of taking the pills. However she prescribed me two more weeks of pills after saying she wasnt sure if its necessary to do so now but due to calculations with body weight she can do and then ive had the lot I can have. She was unsure if she should but to my disappointment she did prescribe me another two weeks of pills...

I dont really want to take them as I get side effects, and i have had good results, obviously still got scarring but Im now undecided what to do. I dont really want to take them but I dont know, what should I do.

Its for acne btw
(edited 9 years ago)
What side effects do you get? I'm on roaccutane as well, but I've only been on it for two months - no difference yet :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by manoornadim
What side effects do you get? I'm on roaccutane as well, but I've only been on it for two months - no difference yet :frown:

Firstly, dry lips. Like crazy. Made some pretty awkward situations, even with lip balm all the time. Sore, red, flaky. Whereas I never got dry skin on my face at all! But a sore face, and a little red and hot flushes on the face, especially if I am a little embarassed like blushing but I never ever blushed before roaccutane! Senstive to light, in summer I burned easy in the garden and it causes dark circles. I have mental issues that have worsened by taking it (probably). It has cleared me just left with scarring :frown: hope it doesnt come back
I have mixed opinions about roaccutane. It got rid of my acne for the most part and has made me a much more confident person, but even two years after I still suffer from incredibly dry skin and eczema. If I don't apply moisturiser and hydrocortisone directly after ive had a wash my skin becomes extremely dry and irritated. :frown:

I suppose you can always stop treatment now and if your acne comes back get rereferred by your GP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by paulobrien3592
I have mixed opinions about roaccutane. It got rid of my acne for the most part and has made me a much more confident person, but even two years after I still suffer from incredibly dry skin and eczema. If I don't apply moisturiser and hydrocortisone directly after ive had a wash my skin becomes extremely dry and irritated. :frown:

I suppose you can always stop treatment now and if your acne comes back get rereferred by your GP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand what you are saying, its been the best decision but also at times been bad. Really slow to see an improvement but side effects came much quicker than any results. Its made me so much happier and more confident but does also miserable and emotional and tired and gave me really dark dark circles. So yeah you have to decide 'if the juice is worth the squeeze', so to speak. For me, it was.
Original post by justjake09
Firstly, dry lips. Like crazy. Made some pretty awkward situations, even with lip balm all the time. Sore, red, flaky. Whereas I never got dry skin on my face at all! But a sore face, and a little red and hot flushes on the face, especially if I am a little embarassed like blushing but I never ever blushed before roaccutane! Senstive to light, in summer I burned easy in the garden and it causes dark circles. I have mental issues that have worsened by taking it (probably). It has cleared me just left with scarring :frown: hope it doesnt come back

I get crazy dry lips too! It's horrible, I have to apply lip balm every two minutes, it's such a pain. I rarely get dry skin but that's because I always carry moisturizer! I blush a lot already ahaha, thank god its winter! Ah yeah, they said that was one possibe effect :s-smilie: I hope it works!
Reply 6
Original post by manoornadim
I get crazy dry lips too! It's horrible, I have to apply lip balm every two minutes, it's such a pain. I rarely get dry skin but that's because I always carry moisturizer! I blush a lot already ahaha, thank god its winter! Ah yeah, they said that was one possibe effect :s-smilie: I hope it works!

Yeah me too! Im taking my last pills tomorrow Ive decided to finish at the end of november so december can be roaccutane free! Ive had enough, my immune system is much lower with it so I need to give my body a break and not have a red face on photos at christmas! Good luck with it, I am spot free just need to work on scarring now! and hope it doesnt return!
I would honestly look at nutrition, detoxing, limiting western medicine. Western Medicine does not cure the illness, it simply mask it and you may get other side effects, whcih means more drugs to mask that. By the time goes on, you will be taking more and more medication. I have a family friend who took pills to control her skin condition, and it was only when she got to her late 20s, when she was really trying to have a baby that she found out she cant. She was told she needs to spend at least 3 years detoxing and getting her body back to normal, before she can start trying.

My brother use to he hospitalised since he was a baby. He was in and out of children hospital, when he around 5, my parents took him to a chinese herbal doctor in London. Our neighbour was chinese and they took us. Within 2 years he was cured.

He had to cut away a lot of food and let his body heal from the inside. Vitanmin suppliments was given by boiling veg. We all went a lot this this diet. And even though I was in and our and hospital with my brother, I dont remeber getting ill. Having organic veggie and food and other superfoods my neighbour taught my mum to make for my brother, our immune system was kept high. Till this day both of us hardly get ill and if we do, we rececover quite quickly and dont get effected as badly as everyone else.

Also make sure that no one shares anyone without. Even your clothes needs to be washed seperately because Chinese have different classifications of eczema, and if you have one the one which the germs can infect other people that would not be good. Also you dont want anything from anyone else which might effect you.

That Chinese doctor is no longer there, apprently he went back to Hong Kong after a few years of being here. you need to find some Chinese people, or go to Chinese community and get recommendations if you want to go down this route.

This doctor info about curing yourself with food is quite good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYPzD5zKFh4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtosFcCVepg
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCoQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Farticles.mercola.com%2Fsites%2Farticles%2Farchive%2F2013%2F08%2F10%2Feczema-dry-skin-treatment.aspx&ei=GDa1VJSmNJK3aaCDgpgC&usg=AFQjCNFfN6KE--Jpp_cPbnPZ7GXB6a2lIA&bvm=bv.83339334,d.d2s
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Have you tried cutting out dairy & high gi foods? Then using something gentle to cleanse with like purechimp super cleanser.

I see so many success stories from people doing something similar to this.
Original post by andersonsophie_8
I would honestly look at nutrition, detoxing, limiting western medicine. Western Medicine does not cure the illness, it simply mask it and you may get other side effects, whcih means more drugs to mask that. By the time goes on, you will be taking more and more medication. I have a family friend who took pills to control her skin condition, and it was only when she got to her late 20s, when she was really trying to have a baby that she found out she cant. She was told she needs to spend at least 3 years detoxing and getting her body back to normal, before she can start trying.

My brother use to he hospitalised since he was a baby. He was in and out of children hospital, when he around 5, my parents took him to a chinese herbal doctor in London. Our neighbour was chinese and they took us. Within 2 years he was cured.

He had to cut away a lot of food and let his body heal from the inside. Vitanmin suppliments was given by boiling veg. We all went a lot this this diet. And even though I was in and our and hospital with my brother, I dont remeber getting ill. Having organic veggie and food and other superfoods my neighbour taught my mum to make for my brother, our immune system was kept high. Till this day both of us hardly get ill and if we do, we rececover quite quickly and dont get effected as badly as everyone else.

Also make sure that no one shares anyone without. Even your clothes needs to be washed seperately because Chinese have different classifications of eczema, and if you have one the one which the germs can infect other people that would not be good. Also you dont want anything from anyone else which might effect you.

That Chinese doctor is no longer there, apprently he went back to Hong Kong after a few years of being here. you need to find some Chinese people, or go to Chinese community and get recommendations if you want to go down this route.

This doctor info about curing yourself with food is quite good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYPzD5zKFh4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtosFcCVepg
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCoQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Farticles.mercola.com%2Fsites%2Farticles%2Farchive%2F2013%2F08%2F10%2Feczema-dry-skin-treatment.aspx&ei=GDa1VJSmNJK3aaCDgpgC&usg=AFQjCNFfN6KE--Jpp_cPbnPZ7GXB6a2lIA&bvm=bv.83339334,d.d2s

For anyone considering this advice

If you are considering stopping or supplementing any prescribed, evidence based treatment with alternative therapies such as ones suggested in this post it's is in your best interests to discuss this with the doctors who are treating you before starting. Medical treatment is based on years of research and clinical trials to ensure treatment is as effective and safe as it can be for the benefits it delivers. This is not true of alternative therapies. Also, combining some alternative therapies with conventional medical treatments can stop them from working or have dangerous consequences for your health.

Quick Reply

Latest