The Student Room Group

Advanced Subsidiary Psychology

Hi, I am studying (Edexcel) AS Psychology and I have the following textbooks:

I haven't used them much yet other than for homework. What would be the best way to use them both to my advantage? All I can think of is to read whatever topic I am studying at the moment from both books for additional information. (It might or might not be useful to whoever is reading this to tell you that by Christmas we will have finished the Cognitive and Learning approaches and we will be doing the other 3 from January 2015).

And other than using the textbooks, what else can I be doing, being as I would like to achieve a high A at the end of the year? Other than trying to perfect exam technique throughout the year, my mind is blank ! I wouldn't think that it would be too hard to perfect exam technique being as the questions are either: multi-choice, true or false, describe/outline, explain, evaluate or a mixture of these together, including scenario questions which are normally explain. I will look at the mark schemes and examiner's reports to try to understand exactly what and what not to write in the exam.

Is there anything particularly useful that you/someone you know did at Christmas which helped you out when you went back in January?

Another question which I only just thought to ask is: is it (in your opinion) better to remember answers to questions or remember how to answer them? For example, when doing past papers I come across a 4 mark description of the Multi-Store Model, should I remember 4 points to write in case this comes up in the exam or would it be better to remember how to write the question (i.e. whether to include a study or not when describing[this is the only example I could think of, not actually a question])?

Apologies for how complicated this thread is. Thanks in advance for any advice ! :^_^:
Reply 1
Plzzz
Reply 2
Original post by beyknowles

I haven't used them much yet other than for homework. What would be the best way to use them both to my advantage? All I can think of is to read whatever topic I am studying at the moment from both books for additional information. (It might or might not be useful to whoever is reading this to tell you that by Christmas we will have finished the Cognitive and Learning approaches and we will be doing the other 3 from January 2015).

And other than using the textbooks, what else can I be doing, being as I would like to achieve a high A at the end of the year? Other than trying to perfect exam technique throughout the year, my mind is blank ! I wouldn't think that it would be too hard to perfect exam technique being as the questions are either: multi-choice, true or false, describe/outline, explain, evaluate or a mixture of these together, including scenario questions which are normally explain. I will look at the mark schemes and examiner's reports to try to understand exactly what and what not to write in the exam.

Is there anything particularly useful that you/someone you know did at Christmas which helped you out when you went back in January?

Another question which I only just thought to ask is: is it (in your opinion) better to remember answers to questions or remember how to answer them? For example, when doing past papers I come across a 4 mark description of the Multi-Store Model, should I remember 4 points to write in case this comes up in the exam or would it be better to remember how to write the question (i.e. whether to include a study or not when describing[this is the only example I could think of, not actually a question])?

Apologies for how complicated this thread is. Thanks in advance for any advice ! :^_^:

With regards to how to use textbooks; try to combine all of your sources (both books and/or classwork notes) together when finalising your revision material/notes, etc, as one source may be too simplified or too complex.

Maybe try podcasts or looking up some of the many YouTube revision videos for a break from the books? Also try to use term breaks to tidy up any notes that you have made for the topics you have completed, or to prepare for the upcoming ones.

I'd definitely say that it would better to know how to answer questions, rather than just learning the answers. Some people prefer to memorize whole essays at once for each possible question, but would this work if a previously unpublished question were to appear in the next exams? Maybe, or maybe not.
Reply 3
Original post by Davalla
With regards to how to use textbooks; try to combine all of your sources (both books and/or classwork notes) together when finalising your revision material/notes, etc, as one source may be too simplified or too complex.

Maybe try podcasts or looking up some of the many YouTube revision videos for a break from the books? Also try to use term breaks to tidy up any notes that you have made for the topics you have completed, or to prepare for the upcoming ones.

I'd definitely say that it would better to know how to answer questions, rather than just learning the answers. Some people prefer to memorize whole essays at once for each possible question, but would this work if a previously unpublished question were to appear in the next exams? Maybe, or maybe not.

Thanks a lot! :^_^:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending