The Student Room Group

why isn't he labelled a terrorist?

Scroll to see replies

If this had been a Muslim, he probably would have been labelled as one. Typical media.
Reply 2
White
It was kind of implied...

McGee had admitted making the device and having information - a book with bomb-making tips - likely to be useful to a terrorist, at the Old Bailey.

The court heard when an officer found the device in a bedroom of the family's three-bedroom house, bomb disposal experts were called in and Greater Manchester Police's counter-terrorism unit launched an investigation.

He hadn't actually committed a terrorist offence yet.
Reply 4
Because he hadn't done anything yet.
"Mr Smart also said it was accepted that rifleman McGee was not a terrorist or intended to help a terrorist group"

I'm not saying there's no difference in reaction between this and a lone Muslim bomber, but they have thought about whether or not to call him a terrorist - it's not just a base reaction.
Making a bomb does not make you a terrorist.
Because the way his melanin is set up...
Original post by h3isenberg
It was kind of implied...

He hadn't actually committed a terrorist offence yet.

Original post by Arkasia
Because he hadn't done anything yet.

Oh? What about those 3 Muslims who were called 'terrorists' because they planned to behead members of the public in the street? They didn't commit the offence yet but are still called terrorists...

This guy has links to far right groups in Europe & watched far-right executions on his computer. Different sides of the same coin. What's the difference other than the fact that his name is Ryan & not Abdul or something brown.. :rolleyes:
Reply 9
because hes white
Original post by SophiaLDN
Oh? What about those 3 Muslims who were called 'terrorists' because they planned to behead members of the public in the street? They didn't commit the offence yet but are still called terrorists...

This guy has links to far right groups in Europe & watched far-right executions on his computer. Different sides of the same coin. What's the difference other than the fact that his name is Ryan & not Abdul or something brown.. :rolleyes:

Thank you for deciding that myself and h3isenberg are closet racists, it was kind of you to ask such a loaded question. By the way, if you could see past your paranoia and your constant adherence to make it 'us vs them', you would see that those men (who you are so willing to name Muslim, might I add), were described as 'terrorism suspects', not terrorists.

The difference is that Mr McGee did not have any plans for the bomb he had made. There are teenagers all around the UK who makes bombs for the hell of it, it doesn't make them terrorists. Planning to commit an act terror (such as beheading people) is a terrorist act.
Original post by Safiya122
If this had been a Muslim, he probably would have been labelled as one. Typical media.

How does being labelled "terrorist" make it any worse than being labelled "murderer", "mass-murderer", "attempted-murderer", "White Supremacist" any of these words? It is as if you have decided that you are the victim of a media conspiracy and will do anything you can to maintain this belief.

He was accused of terrorism and he was cleared, ergo he was not a terrorist.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Arkasia
Thank you for deciding that myself and h3isenberg are closet racists, it was kind of you to ask such a loaded question. By the way, if you could see past your paranoia and your constant adherence to make it 'us vs them', you would see that those men (who you are so willing to name Muslim, might I add), were described as 'terrorism suspects', not terrorists.

Did I say you and h3isenberg are closet racists? Or racist at all? I don't know you to say that you are, my point isn't "why doesn't Arkasia and h3isenberg call this guy a terrorist?" I'm questioning why the media doesn't. Maybe that's your paranoia. This thread questions why he isn't labelled a terrorist and my theory is because he isn't muslim/ is white. I gave you an example which I think is similar to this situation yet they were called terrorists or 'terror suspects' like you said, unlike this guy. Why isn't he a terror suspect? The reason I quoted you both was because you said he hasn't technically committed the crime but neither did those other 'terror suspects'.
Did I say you and h3isenberg are closet racists? Or racist at all? I don't know you to say that you are, my point isn't "why doesn't Arkasia and h3isenberg call this guy a terrorist?" I'm questioning why the media doesn't. Maybe that's your paranoia. This thread questions why he isn't labelled a terrorist and my theory is because he isn't muslim/ is white. I gave you an example which I think is similar to this situation yet they were called terrorists or 'terror suspects' like you said, unlike this guy. Why isn't he a terror suspect? The reason I quoted you both was because you said he hasn't technically committed the crime but neither did those other 'terror suspects'.

This guy is a terror suspect you numpty. As were they:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30132981

And yes, both times, a crime has been committed: preparing to commit acts of terrorism.
Original post by yo radical one
How does being labelled "terrorist" make it any worse than being labelled "murderer", "mass-murderer", "attempted-murderer", "White Supremacist" any of these words? It is as if you have decided that you are the victim of a media conspiracy and will do anything you can to maintain this belief.

He was accused of terrorism and he was cleared, ergo he was not a terrorist.

So you don't see terrorism interlinking to these? Okay then:rolleyes:

Care to provide a source?

So he has extremist views? You're making a big assertion by saying that this guy is not called a terrorist because of his name. He had the intent of terrorism, that is implied by what it says in the article.

Someone charged with attempted murder isn't called a murderer.
Jesus it's pretty clear why he's not called a terrorist and it's nothing to do with his race. If I planned to kill someone that's attempted murder, if I posses a bomb that's possession of a dangerous weapon, not attempted murder.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DiddyDec
The difference is that Mr McGee did not have any plans for the bomb he had made. There are teenagers all around the UK who makes bombs for the hell of it, it doesn't make them terrorists. Planning to commit an act terror (such as beheading people) is a terrorist act.

Good point.

But how do we know if he just was caught pretty early or had no intention of committing a crime? He has a load of weapons also. Something similar happened in 1999 with that neo-nazi militant setting off nail bombs in London. But you're right, it does make a difference yet someone who makes bombs & has a clear prejudice against others is very different to kids making bombs out of boredom..

Lets say a Muslim guy: made a nail bomb at home, watched a beheading and had links to Anjem Choudary yet he didn't plan anything.. im pretty sure the media would call him a terror suspect straight away.

Original post by h3isenberg
Care to provide a source?

My bad. Just looked, they are called terror suspects, not terrorists.

So he has extremist views? You're making a big assertion by saying that this guy is not called a terrorist because of his name. He had the intent of terrorism, that is implied by what it says in the article.

Someone charged with attempted murder isn't called a murderer.

Yes. You don't think he has extremist views? He has a keen interest and references the KKK & BNP in his book. He also watched videos of men being executed under a swastika flag. To me, that's an extremist given that he is obsessed with the extreme far-right. My point was that this guy wasn't even at first called a terror suspect or even suspected of planning to commit terror offences which is what the media first jumps to if it was someone else.

Original post by Arkasia
This guy is a terror suspect you numpty.

Oh look, an insult. Did I hurt your feelings? Why bother coming onto the debate & current affairs section if you're going to throw insults/ cry when someone replies to your comment? Don't bother replying as I won't comment on anything you say in future mate. Bye now :smile:
Good point.

But how do we know if he just was caught pretty early or had no intention of committing a crime? He has a load of weapons also. Something similar happened in 1999 with that neo-nazi militant setting off nail bombs in London. But you're right, it does make a difference yet someone who makes bombs & has a clear prejudice against others is very different to kids making bombs out of boredom..

Lets say a Muslim guy: made a nail bomb at home, watched a beheading and had links to Anjem Choudary yet he didn't plan anything.. im pretty sure the media would call him a terror suspect straight away.

Yes. You don't think he has extremist views? He has a keen interest and references the KKK & BNP in his book. He also watched videos of men being executed under a swastika flag. To me, that's an extremist given that he is obsessed with the extreme far-right. My point was that this guy wasn't even at first called a terror suspect or even suspected of planning to commit terror offences which is what the media first jumps to if it was someone else.

Oh look, an insult. Did I hurt your feelings? Why bother coming onto the debate & current affairs section if you're going to throw insults/ cry when someone replies to your comment? Don't bother replying as I won't comment on anything you say in future mate. Bye now :smile:

Completely ignoring my point because you know you can't answer it. Good one, have fun not replying! Also, if you think numpty is insulting, you need to grow thicker skin to survive on the internet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending