The Student Room Group

Can't decide between ib and a level and help with career

Hi,
My school offers both a levels and the ib but only some courses are available for a level. I would not be able to study the subjects I would like to do at a level at my school so would have to do the ib. In the future I would like to do something with clinical psychology possibly although this is not recommended or with advertisement and fine art.
This is what I would do at ib: French sl, maths sl, biology sl, art hl, psychology hl and English hl
For a levels I would do French, art, biology and psychology/ english
I would have to move schools for a levels which isn't a problem but with the ib I am worried that my higher level options will restrict where I can get into university although it does give me a broader range
Please help!
Reply 1
Do the subjects you need at a levels. IB may give you a broader range but is more work, not as much depth as a levels as you split your time between 6 subjects. You have to do a theory of knowledge essay as well with it I think. The extra work you do for IB isn't necessary as you can do less work with A levels and still end up with the same outcome of getting into the unis you want.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by luvlieliza
Hi,
My school offers both a levels and the ib but only some courses are available for a level. I would not be able to study the subjects I would like to do at a level at my school so would have to do the ib. In the future I would like to do something with clinical psychology possibly although this is not recommended or with advertisement and fine art.
This is what I would do at ib: French sl, maths sl, biology sl, art hl, psychology hl and English hl
For a levels I would do French, art, biology and psychology/ english
I would have to move schools for a levels which isn't a problem but with the ib I am worried that my higher level options will restrict where I can get into university although it does give me a broader range
Please help!

It's best to do alevels. The subjects you chose for ib are also available in alevels. I'm not sure what sort of sch you're at but applying to unis, it's better to apply using alevels in UK. Only do IB if you're planning to apply for uni degrees abroad.
There was a transfer student who did AS levels at my old sch and she's currently doing IB now and has her work cut out, she prefers the A level system much more due to more focus on less subjects that she actually enjoys, if this helps at all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by vdoto
Do the subjects you need at a levels. IB may give you a broader range but is more work, not as much depth as a levels as you split your time between 6 subjects. You have to do a theory of knowledge essay as well with it I think. The extra work you do for IB isn't necessary as you can do less work with A levels and still end up with the same outcome of getting into the unis you want.

Thanks for the reply! I have just applied to do a levels at a different sixth form and hope I get in. You are right about having the same outcome and hopefully better with a levels because I am awful at maths!
Reply 5
Original post by jadys10
It's best to do alevels. The subjects you chose for ib are also available in alevels. I'm not sure what sort of sch you're at but applying to unis, it's better to apply using alevels in UK. Only do IB if you're planning to apply for uni degrees abroad.

Thanks for replying, I go to a competitive grammar school that is pushing the ib, I could consider studying in France but think UK is probably best for me. You're right about being able to take the same subjects too
Reply 6
Original post by selenerrr__x
There was a transfer student who did AS levels at my old sch and she's currently doing IB now and has her work cut out, she prefers the A level system much more, if this helps at all.

You're right I'd prefer to have more time to focus on the subjects I actually want to do, thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by luvlieliza
Thanks for replying, I go to a competitive grammar school that is pushing the ib, I could consider studying in France but think UK is probably best for me. You're right about being able to take the same subjects too

I went to a competitive grammar sch before too. They had about 9 people going to oxbridge every year but they don't do ib, only alevels.

Quick Reply

Latest