The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Anyone heard from Skadden, Latham or Weil?
Original post by mcrlawstudent
That is very weird, I haven't had an e-mail with a different date.

Will have to e-mail in to check about that!

On the JD site, it states that their VSs are 6-17th July or 20-31st July; have you heard back yet?
Original post by jokut
Anyone heard from Skadden, Latham or Weil?

Skadden don't operate on a rolling basis, doubt you'll hear back until after the deadline
Original post by J-SP
Yes - you should put them in. I never understand why people would not include them.

Depends on the form structure. If you can't fit them into a work experience section just a short sentence stating "I have attended open days at X, Y and Z" is sufficient.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, with the A&O application form, they don't really allow you to put experience that lasts only a day. I guess I'll include it in one of their questions!

I've included the open days for all the other firms I'm applying to though :smile:
Original post by TykeDragon
Hey guys, seems I didn't kick into gear quickly enough, I only started doing apps this week :s-smilie: applying for about 10 summer VSs. In second year at Southampton, got 2:1 in my first year (2:2 contract, 2:1 legal system, 2:1 criminal, 1st constitutional - i'm hoping the 1st distracts from the 2:2 in contract!)

What does everyone reckon is a 'safe' distance from the deadline - ie submitting your application a month before the deadline? I'm now just paranoid that most of my apps won't be in until mid December.

On that note, apart from Clifford Chance and DLA Piper, what other firms don't review apps on a rolling basis?

Pinsent Masons aren't rolling basis. :smile:
thanks for the responses guys :smile: i didn't manage to get any first year workshops etc and didn't do any legal work experience before uni :/ i do have a history of employment (paper round, volunteer at pharmacy, fast food, and current job selling at a kiosk store/cafe) that i'm using to show all the skills - how much of a weakness is it to not have any work experience, or are they understanding?
Original post by nonlawlawyer
On the JD site, it states that their VSs are 6-17th July or 20-31st July; have you heard back yet?

No, I don't think the graduate recruitment team work over the weekend. I'll let you know as soon as I know!

Where else are you applying?
Original post by TykeDragon
thanks for the responses guys :smile: i didn't manage to get any first year workshops etc and didn't do any legal work experience before uni :/ i do have a history of employment (paper round, volunteer at pharmacy, fast food, and current job selling at a kiosk store/cafe) that i'm using to show all the skills - how much of a weakness is it to not have any work experience, or are they understanding?

I wouldn't worry, your employment history should demonstrate the required skills! The point of vacation schemes is to help you get experience. However, be prepared to explain why you are interested in commercial law and why you believe it is right for you despite not having experienced it.
Reply 348
Yeah of-course grades matter - A-level and undergrad - as TCs/VSs at MC firms are incredibly competitive. All law firms say that your University doesn't matter per se - which is sort of true - although Oxbridge and other top universities are still very prevalent at Freshfields as you would expect.
Original post by hp112
Yeah of-course grades matter - A-level and undergrad - as TCs/VSs at MC firms are incredibly competitive. All law firms say that your University doesn't matter per se - which is sort of true - although Oxbridge and other top universities are still very prevalent at Freshfields as you would expect.

I second this. It is surprising how many people underestimate the importance of academics. As for Freshfields, I go to a non-Russell Group uni and managed to get a vac scheme there, but the other two candidates on interview day were Oxbridge.
any advice on the whole 'why do you want to be a commercial lawyer' if you dont have any legal work experience? ive been going at it based on i like the challenge of it, i believe i have the skills to do well in it, my determination was reinforced talking to trainees at law fairs and things, but it doesn't seem enough :/
Original post by mcrlawstudent
No, I don't think the graduate recruitment team work over the weekend. I'll let you know as soon as I know!

Where else are you applying?

Fair enough - I've had an interview with Shearman & Sterling, for their winter VS, and am yet to hear back - think it'll be next week though, as the VS is quickly approaching! Will also be applying to Sidley, Latham and have just sent off an application to Bird&Bird, so we'll see.

How about you?
Original post by nonlawlawyer
Fair enough - I've had an interview with Shearman & Sterling, for their winter VS, and am yet to hear back - think it'll be next week though, as the VS is quickly approaching! Will also be applying to Sidley, Latham and have just sent off an application to Bird&Bird, so we'll see.

How about you?

Interesting!

All of my applications are for summer schemes apart from Slaughter, where I have applied for the Easter one.

For summer I'll be doing Latham, Weil, A&O, CC, Freshfields, Norton Rose Fulbright and Clyde & Co. Time dependent I may do Skadden and Cleary too but I still need to do a few of the above!
Hi,

My Alevel Grades are AAC, how likely am I to be given a vacation scheme/training contract in the future?

(currently first year undergraduate law student)

Will I be rejected from every firm, please help, I am worrried???
Original post by xxblue
Hi,

My Alevel Grades are AAC, how likely am I to be given a vacation scheme/training contract in the future?

(currently first year undergraduate law student)

Will I be rejected from every firm, please help, I am worrried???

You will struggle at firms with a rigid 340 UCAS (AAB) requirement.

If you excel in your first year and beyond, this hurdle can be overcome.
Original post by liarpoker
You will struggle at firms with a rigid 340 UCAS (AAB) requirement.

If you excel in your first year and beyond, this hurdle can be overcome.

hi, thanks for replying I really appreciate it.

Do you think if I get a high 2:1 or a 1st during my first year this will in a way compensate for my C A-level grade? Also, if I do achieve the high 2:1 or a 1st do you think my vacation scheme applications will not be accepted due to my a- level grades or no?

Let me know what you think.
Original post by J-SP
It really depends on the firm. You are going to need to speak to/contact the recruitment teams at firms you are interested in and get their thoughts on this.

Some will be very strict on the 340 UCAS points and won't review your form. Others will look at your other grades and make a decision from there, some won't be bothered at all (those with 320 or ABB requirement/those with no minimum A-level grades.

It will also be highly dependent on how strong the rest of your form/CV is though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If rejected for a vac scheme, would you be expected to completely change your answers to competency questions for TC apps?

(for firms which permit you to apply for a TC post vac scheme rejection)
Can I get a variety of opinions on how much emphasis is placed on module results if the overall degree is a 2:1?

Got A*'s and A's at GCSE and A-Level, but a few 2:2 module results throughout university - 63% overall for Law degree.

Equally, will a variety of work experience/extra-curriculars outweigh them?
Original post by J-SP
It depends on the results.

An average of 63 with half of them being 1sts and the other half being 2.2s will be less favourable than someone who has achieved 63s in all modules.

Are your 2.2s confined to one year and if so what year? If they are spread out is it literally one per year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mid-high 2.2s and a few 2.1s during the first two years, then in final year mid-high 2.1s across the board.
Anyone heard from Freshfields for the Winter Workshops yet? I know the deadline was only recently (27th) but it's still only two weeks before the workshop begins. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending