The Student Room Group

Aqa a2 geography essay help!!!

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for getting an A in these Geography essays for AQA at A2 level, atm I am sitting on the C or sometimes getting a B and I am really struggling to get any further. Can anyone please give me advice or tips? It would be so much appreciated! Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

The main thing we've been told to do is avoid "case study dumping" pick and choose details of a range of case studies to illustrate your points with and then compare them and evaluate them. Although, I'm just telling you what my teacher has told us, my class are struggling too! I can never think of enough to say lol.
Original post by NinjaNicky
The main thing we've been told to do is avoid "case study dumping" pick and choose details of a range of case studies to illustrate your points with and then compare them and evaluate them. Although, I'm just telling you what my teacher has told us, my class are struggling too! I can never think of enough to say lol.

i just started as geography how is a2 any tips on how to do well in as :smile: im struggling on coasts
Reply 3
Original post by sophiamarni
i just started as geography how is a2 any tips on how to do well in as :smile: im struggling on coasts

Hey I do A2 geography and did coasts last year if you ever want any help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Molly648
Hey I do A2 geography and did coasts last year if you ever want any help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

*angels singing a triumphant melody* yes i do i do idooooooooooo :smile: how was they exam last year may i ask you what grade you got :smile: share all your geography secrets
Reply 5
*angels singing a triumphant melody* yes i do i do idooooooooooo :smile: how was they exam last year may i ask you what grade you got :smile: share all your geography secrets

Haha! :smile: glad I can be of help! When I was doing the exam last year I thought it was pretty difficult! My topics were coasts, rivers, population and health :smile: I got an A with full UMS and if you need any extra notes, how to approach past paper questions or even how to learn the stuff I would be willing to help with anything! :smile:

As for the A2 essays I'm just starting these myself and any tips would be welcome!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha! :smile: glad I can be of help! When I was doing the exam last year I thought it was pretty difficult! My topics were coasts, rivers, population and health :smile: I got an A with full UMS and if you need any extra notes, how to approach past paper questions or even how to learn the stuff I would be willing to help with anything! :smile:

As for the A2 essays I'm just starting these myself and any tips would be welcome!

Posted from TSR Mobile

im gonna cry because im doing the same topics.tell me everything and the second field work paper :smile: i just need help in everything tell me everything and how did you get that A youre amazing
Reply 7
Original post by ht76845
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for getting an A in these Geography essays for AQA at A2 level, atm I am sitting on the C or sometimes getting a B and I am really struggling to get any further. Can anyone please give me advice or tips? It would be so much appreciated! Thanks :smile:

What topics are you doing at A2? I am doing the volcanoes one, globalisation and war and conflict?

I shall send you a pm now sophiamarni! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What topics are you doing at A2? I am doing the volcanoes one, globalisation and war and conflict?

I shall send you a pm now sophiamarni! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey im doing AS how is a2 going i heard there is a 40mark question :frown:
Reply 9
hey im doing AS how is a2 going i heard there is a 40mark question :frown:

A2 definitely requires more detail in the answers, and in terms of the topics so far I preferred my AS ones but on the whole it's actually okay! :smile: ill enjoy the volcanoes topic when we start it! :smile: I'm about to do my first 40 mark soon! We shall just see how that goes lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

A2 is hard but really interesting :smile: what about coasts? There's a lot of good case studies on erosion, the Holderness coast and stuff, case studies are really important. The main thing is understanding the processes :smile:
Original post by NinjaNicky
A2 is hard but really interesting :smile: what about coasts? There's a lot of good case studies on erosion, the Holderness coast and stuff, case studies are really important. The main thing is understanding the processes :smile:

what processes :s-smilie: i have moved to rivers i cant remember anything about coasts
what processes :s-smilie: i have moved to rivers i cant remember anything about coasts

they're pretty much the same as rivers: erosion, transportation and depostiton.
Reply 13

Geography AS is really hard, I found, some people don't. You just have to sit down and really work :smile: don't treat it like GCSE where you just revise during exam season. You really have to put the work in all year round :smile: if you struggle on certain questions look at mark schemes, to see what the examiner is looking for. Learn all of the content well, but also look at exam technique, because that's hard to! Basically make sure the content is solid in your head, and that you know the processes of transportation, deposition etc etc, and then practice putting that information into questions. A2 is really hard too I find. It's defo a jump! Because we now have to do 40 mark essays, and 7, 8 and 10 mark questions! But if you just keep at it hopefully you'll be okay!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have been told by my teachers, that you have to clearly define/outline your argument in the introduction, define key words e.g. sustainable. Then you have to structure your essay nicely, and always go back to the questions, so don't just chuck a load of info in the essay, make sure the information is relevant :smile: You also need to understand the command words e.g. assessing and discussing etc. Diagrams are useful as long as they are fully integrated. Connectives help with the flow of the essay, and you need a good depth of case study material, but not pointless information, it has to relate to the question. Also you have to have synoptic links (they confuse me). Basically this is what I have been told. But I am still struggling with my essays, I guess I'll just have to keep practicing. It defo helps to look at mark schemes to see what they are looking for, and exam reports are useful too :smile:
Original post by ht76845
Geography AS is really hard, I found, some people don't. You just have to sit down and really work :smile: don't treat it like GCSE where you just revise during exam season. You really have to put the work in all year round :smile: if you struggle on certain questions look at mark schemes, to see what the examiner is looking for. Learn all of the content well, but also look at exam technique, because that's hard to! Basically make sure the content is solid in your head, and that you know the processes of transportation, deposition etc etc, and then practice putting that information into questions. A2 is really hard too I find. It's defo a jump! Because we now have to do 40 mark essays, and 7, 8 and 10 mark questions! But if you just keep at it hopefully you'll be okay!

thanks for your tips im just revising geography now is it too early ive been doing rivers and im sick of them but i know the topic fairly well :smile: is it too early:smile:
Don't waffle
Don't dump case studies
Use case studies that will make the examiner think, don't just use the well known ones, look about a bit
Be up to date, if something was to happen on the morning of the exam and you had a question in it, put it down.
Remember PEES (Point, Explain, Example, Summary)
Structure your answer, have introduction, paragraph for each point and conclusion
Don't add things that aren't in your essay in the conclusion
I would actually say avoid diagrams, as majority of people don't use them properly and in reality very very few questions are worth it.
What was the tectonics essay question in 2014?
Does anyone know the development and globalisation short answer questions from June 2014 by any chance? :smile:
Reply 19
thanks for your tips im just revising geography now is it too early ive been doing rivers and im sick of them but i know the topic fairly well :smile: is it too early:smile:

Nope it's not too early! Better early than late! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending