The Student Room Group

Returning to Full Time Education - Benefit entitlement.

Hi Everyone

I'm just looking for some advice, I'm currently working full time earning £20k a year in marketing, I am looking to return to Full time education 2015/2016 to finish a degree I dropped out of 10 years ago!.

My question is will me/my partner be able to receive any housing benefits. council tax benefit, income support etc whilst I study, my initial calculations mean we will struggle and it isn't feasible for me to return.

We have 4 children, 2 under 5. So as you can imagine very lively and expensive home to run.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
You won't get any income support unless you're a lone parent or a carer.

Does your partner work?
Reply 2
Original post by OU Student
You won't get any income support unless you're a lone parent or a carer.

Does your partner work?

No, stay at home parent, carer for her mother (Unpaid).
You're exempt from council tax as a full time student. Some of your student finance will be ignored as income for benefits.
Original post by insanepick
No, stay at home parent, carer for her mother (Unpaid).

Your partner should be entitled to Carer's Allowance if they care for their mother enough hours a week to qualify.
Your partner won't be exempt from council tax.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by balotelli12
Your partner should be entitled to Carer's Allowance if they care for their mother enough hours a week to qualify.
Your partner won't be exempt from council tax.

That's only if their mother receives mid or high rate care DLA or either care rate of pip or aa, no one else receives carers allowance for looking after her and they provide care of at least 35 hours per week.
Reply 6
Thanks for the info. is there anyone else here with similar circumstances would really like to finish my degree, been searching through the forum for some more advice and I should be able to return, its just the rent situation I will struggle with.
In what way would you struggle with the rent? You may get some help with your rent. But it depends on the amount your council will pay and your income, which includes most of your student finance.
Yeah, you would only be able to get 25% off council tax, as you are living with a non student.

Probably wise talking to someone who can give you the official advice, as there may be things people just aren't aware of on here.

Quick Reply