The Student Room Group

Falling for my teacher.....

I just started a class which is once a week and I sort of just walked in and fell straight for my teacher, he's a postgrad student at the uni and I'll only have lessons with him for about 2 months, once a week and it's not one-on-one either but in a class of 3 and I dunno what to do.

He's sort of youngish although there's this age gap between of us which I'm guessing is about 5-6 years he looks around 24-26.

My friend said ask him out for coffee aha.............thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Is that even allowed?
Don't let this affect your work whatever happens, if you need to change teachers, do it.
Reply 2
Don't ruin his life. He will lose his job and will never be allowed to teach again if word gets out.
Reply 3
Original post by Safiya122
Is that even allowed?
Don't let this affect your work whatever happens, if you need to change teachers, do it.

I dunno about it...he's a student himself, although my teacher but only for a short while and I can't change teachers because my school had to pay for this course for me
He's teaching this course as some part time thing for FMSP, I don't actually attend his uni, I'm 18 applying to uni and it's not really gonna affect my work in any negative way, I'll probably pay more attention to getting things right and his work done
Reply 4
Original post by ubisoft
Don't ruin his life. He will lose his job and will never be allowed to teach again if word gets out.

the job is half voluntary ish with FMSP but at a uni, he himself is actually still a student
Original post by Anonymous
I dunno about it...he's a student himself, although my teacher but only for a short while and I can't change teachers because my school had to pay for this course for me
He's teaching this course as some part time thing for FMSP, I don't actually attend his uni, I'm 18 applying to uni and it's not really gonna affect my work in any negative way, I'll probably pay more attention to getting things right and his work done

But would you not get distracted easily too? And I mean if your friend has asked him out for coffee...what if it ended up affecting your friendship?
Reply 6
Original post by Safiya122
But would you not get distracted easily too? And I mean if your friend has asked him out for coffee...what if it ended up affecting your friendship?

No, my friend suggested asking him out for coffee although I probably will 99% never do that as it's so direct and i'm too shy and i realise it'd be weird
I wouldn't get distracted in the bad way, it'd just mean more time spent on work he gives me
Reply 7
the job is half voluntary ish with FMSP but at a uni, he himself is actually still a student

I didn't know you're actually still in sixth form. That is illegal. He will get JAILED because of this, it's classified as rape even if you initiate/consent.
No, my friend suggested asking him out for coffee although I probably will 99% never do that as it's so direct and i'm too shy and i realise it'd be weird
I wouldn't get distracted in the bad way, it'd just mean more time spent on work he gives me

Original post by ubisoft
I didn't know you're actually still in sixth form. That is illegal. He will get JAILED because of this, it's classified as rape even if you initiate/consent.

This.

OP you should really be careful..this doesn't sound good at all.
Reply 9
Is this actually illegal?!!
He's actually a student, won't be my teacher after 2 months depending on how fast he decides to teach the course
I'm 18......I should actually be in uni this year but due to reasons I don't care to disclose I'm finishing up A2 at a college
Original post by ubisoft

Does this stil apply if he's not my teacher after the course is finished?
He's still himself only a student, I'm supposed to be in uni but will actually be next yr instead, gonna turn 19 soon
Reply 11
He's still himself only a student, I'm supposed to be in uni but will actually be next yr instead, gonna turn 19 soon

As long as he is in a position of power of you, it will be illegal. As long as he comes to your sixth form to teach, even if he is not teaching you personally, it will be illegal.
I just started a class which is once a week and I sort of just walked in and fell straight for my teacher, he's a postgrad student at the uni and I'll only have lessons with him for about 2 months, once a week and it's not one-on-one either but in a class of 3 and I dunno what to do.

He's sort of youngish although there's this age gap between of us which I'm guessing is about 5-6 years he looks around 24-26.

My friend said ask him out for coffee aha.............thoughts?

Regardless of the age gap I'm pretty sure that's still illegal - if he teaches you he's in a "position of responsibility", doesn't matter about his or your age. (Although I guess there'd be extra charges if you were under 16/18, however old you are)

Avoid it OP, 90% sure he'd lose his job
Original post by ubisoft
As long as he is in a position of power of you, it will be illegal. As long as he comes to your sixth form to teach, even if he is not teaching you personally, it will be illegal.

No, I go to his uni and theres 3 of us just taking up a classroom for him to teach
So then after I stop going then it's not considered illegal?
(This doesn't mean I will do anything, just curious, I would probably never actually act on my thoughts)

Depends. If he's still at your school, then yes it still applies and is illegal.

If he leaves your school, you might be alright but I'm not too sure

If you leave school I'm pretty sure it's fine.
Original post by AdamCee
Depends. If he's still at your school, then yes it still applies and is illegal.

If he leaves your school, you might be alright but I'm not too sure

If you leave school I'm pretty sure it's fine.

I won't be leaving, it's me and 2 other people going to his uni and he teaches us in one of the maths classrooms
How can I check the legality of this?
A PhD student teaching me a module and after about 2 months when the module is finished, no more lessons so I don't go to his uni anymore
Isn't this obvious? It's illegal.
It happens...
Original post by Juichiro
Isn't this obvious? It's illegal.

Not that obvious, the legality didn't even occur to me as he's just a student who happens to be teaching me for 2 months and he doesn't actually come to my school to teach, I go to him
I won't be leaving, it's me and 2 other people going to his uni and he teaches us in one of the maths classrooms
How can I check the legality of this?
A PhD student teaching me a module and after about 2 months when the module is finished, no more lessons so I don't go to his uni anymore

Wait - sorry so you're currently in Year 13 and you go to the university outside of school completely for a current student to teach you?

In that case I'm not too sure. I am relatively sure that once you finished your two months with him and you aren't at the uni any longer, you'll be fine, but not certain.

Tbh I have no idea where you could find the proper answer to this. I'm sure there's a website where you can ask legal related questions - they'll probably be able to give slightly better advice than TSR... (Unless there are some law grads here but I don't know any)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending