The Student Room Group

Would I suit short hair?

So I've been thinking of going for a really short hairstyle but I'm not sure what style/if short would suit me. Currently it's a little longer than shoulder length, very thick and just incredibly annoying to deal with.

Could anyone help me out?

hair.png

Scroll to see replies

I think you would - would make you look more sophisticated :wink:
Original post by converselove
So I've been thinking of going for a really short hairstyle but I'm not sure what style/if short would suit me. Currently it's a little longer than shoulder length, very thick and just incredibly annoying to deal with.

I personally wouldn't recommend it but you can always give it a go and see how it looks like.
Original post by Safiya122
I think you would - would make you look more sophisticated :wink:

Thanks :tongue: at the minute, it's just so frizzy and thick so I don't maintain it because it would cost a bomb so I just want to do something with it that's different and doesn't take half an hour to dry xD
Reply 4
Thanks :tongue: at the minute, it's just so frizzy and thick so I don't maintain it because it would cost a bomb so I just want to do something with it that's different and doesn't take half an hour to dry xD

If you have it cut short it'd probably go less frizzy and more curly because there's less weight - I'd say go for it - maybe shoulder length hair and/or a fringe too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

you cut of like 4-6 cm
Original post by aoxa
If you have it cut short it'd probably go less frizzy and more curly because there's less weight - I'd say go for it - maybe shoulder length hair and/or a fringe too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Frizz is to do with the condition of the hair rather than its natural make-up, i.e. if your hair is dry and damaged it will be more prone to frizz than if it is not. If it has a natural curl to it this is likely to be MORE prominent when short than long, because there is less weight on the hair to "straighten it out."

I wouldn't recommend a fringe if your hair is already difficult to tame (though this may be more to do with its condition than you realise) as you'll never be able to get it to do what you want - fringes are a pain at the best of times.

I would suggest a sleek, all-one length bob, or one that is shorter at the back than the front. I think either would suit your face shape, and you may want to avoid layers if your hair tends to go fluffy after drying, as you'll end up looking like a dandelion clock. However, if you're willing to find a good set of styling products and regime, layers could be a good option as they'll have the effect of thinning your hair out a bit, potentially making it more manageable. Probably best to go for a cut without layers first to see if you like the length and how your hair sits, then get layers added if you do like the length. If you don't, your hair will grow out again quicker like that than if you have layers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Musie Suzie
Frizz is to do with the condition of the hair rather than its natural make-up, i.e. if your hair is dry and damaged it will be more prone to frizz than if it is not. If it has a natural curl to it this is likely to be MORE prominent when short than long, because there is less weight on the hair to "straighten it out."

I wouldn't recommend a fringe if your hair is alread difficult to tame (though this may be more to do with its condition than you realise) as you'll never be able to get it to do what you want - fringes are a pain at the best of times.

I would suggest a sleek, all-one length bob, or one that is shorter at the back than the front. I think either would suit your face shape, and you may want to avoid layers if your hair tends to go fluffy after drying, as you'll end up looking like a dandelion clock. However, if you're willing to find a good set of styling products and regime, layers could be a good option as they'll have the effect of thinning your hair out a bit, potentially making it more manageable. Probably best to go for a cut without layers first to see if you like the length and how your hair sits, then get layers added if you do like the length. If you don't, your hair will grow out again quicker like that than if you have layers.

Wow this was actually really helpful :smile: I just thought my hair was "naturally" frizzy but I'll try to maintain it better and use products that deal with frizzy hair. Right now, I just use whatever is on offer :redface: I wasn't planning on getting a full fringe although I do have a side fringe that I was going to keep. I really like pixie cuts but I'll discuss it with my hairdresser and see what she thinks on that.

ok forget the short hair u need braces, a toothbrush, clearasil, hair dye (u got grey hairs), some titty implants and a REAL tan

edit: definitely some make-up too
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Bangs! I'd reccomend bangs :biggrin: Side parted, to the right maybe. But you can also keep them full, they're versatile and I don't know if maybe they'd look better full. I think they'd suit you. Also, cutti g it maybe like shoulder-lenght might be nice too. My hair is trublesome right now as well, since I've grown it out, and am constantly debating doing what I've told you :s
Reply 10
show a pic of the styke you're thinking of..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I couldn't get braces because my dentist said I had really short roots and there was a risk of my teeth falling out if I got braces. .

Didn't know that could happen! :eek:

Your teeth are fine and the irony of that poster reporting you for offensiveness :rolleyes:

I was about to say you're pretty in your pic; not too sure if short hair suits you. Try cropping out a picture of your full hair and see? :tongue:
Original post by kka25
Didn't know that could happen! :eek:

Your teeth are fine and the irony of that poster reporting you for offensiveness :rolleyes:

I was about to say you're pretty in your pic; not too sure if short hair suits you. Try cropping out a picture of your full hair and see? :tongue:

Yeah I thought that too :eek:

lmao I know!

Aww thanks :smile: I tried one of those makeover sites that shows you what you'd look like with different hairstyles but it didn't look naturally so didn't really help :redface: I might do it in stages. Like shoulder length first then just gradually go shorter if I want. Because I can always stop if I don't think it suits me. Otherwise, I'd be left with incredibly short hair for a long time. My hair grows fast, but not that fast. We'll see though!
Reply 13
Yeah I thought that too :eek:

lmao I know!

Aww thanks :smile: I tried one of those makeover sites that shows you what you'd look like with different hairstyles but it didn't look naturally so didn't really help :redface: I might do it in stages. Like shoulder length first then just gradually go shorter if I want. Because I can always stop if I don't think it suits me. Otherwise, I'd be left with incredibly short hair for a long time. My hair grows fast, but not that fast. We'll see though!

When I was in secondary, I used to like this girl who had short hair with some bangs to go with it; saw her on the bus a few weeks ago and she altered her hair differently; she looked like a man now! lol. She had one of those old granny hair like this:

Spoiler

Please don't go for that :tongue:
Original post by kka25
When I was in secondary, I used to like this girl who had short hair with some bangs to go with it; saw her on the bus a few weeks ago and she altered her hair differently; she looked like a man now! lol. She had one of those old granny hair like this:

Spoiler

Please don't go for that :tongue:

Oh dear lord no! My gran has a hair cut like that xD

hair.png

A short side Bob will look lush on you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow this was actually really helpful :smile: I just thought my hair was "naturally" frizzy but I'll try to maintain it better and use products that deal with frizzy hair. Right now, I just use whatever is on offer :redface: I wasn't planning on getting a full fringe although I do have a side fringe that I was going to keep. I really like pixie cuts but I'll discuss it with my hairdresser and see what she thinks on that.

Yeah, good idea to discuss it with a pro :smile: Would be able to recommend products and styling techniques for a pixie cut too. If you're keeping a side fringe maybe go for a style like Frankie from the Saturdays and make a feature out of it :smile:
I think you could give it a go as you have strong features
I'd say probably not, just do something else with the long hair you've got

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah.

Quick Reply

Latest